mechanical engineering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmcsierra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a wrapping up my first semester in mechanical engineering. I enjoy it. I have been comtemplating a career in medicine for the past 2 years. I am highly interested by it, but i am scared of the hours and time missed from family. Maybe i should just do it. I also don't know how to go about getting my pre requisites. Is there any use for a mechanical engineering degree in medicine? If i don't get in, will the bio, chem, biochem, orgochem help at all in any other career? Should i work the pre-requisites in while i'm unsure? if i get the pre-reqs in post bach, would you reccomend just going to school for 2 more years while taking extra anat, physio, nutrition........................are the residencies as bad as they say? 100-130hrs/wk until you are 34? thanks for any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Engineers rule. Don't fall to the lowest denominator and became a basic science major. Do the prereqs and don't worry about it.

an engineer and @ umich, you rule Sunny!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there is a need for ME's (and engineers in general) in medicine. Engineers in general make good clinicians because of their applied science background. On the research side, biomechanics is one of the hottest fields around and there is a need for engineer/physicians to answer questions like how the body responds to stress/strain and other mechanical stimuli and why. Do what you enjoy and best of luck

gmcsierra,

i graduated from undergrad this year with a degree in mechanical engineering and am now a 1st year in medical school. it's very doable. i had to take half of the prerequisites at night and on top of my already full engineering curriculum. i did it that way because i didn't want to spend any extra time in undergrad (our program was already five years long).

i have to say that my engineering really hasn't helped me that much. in fact, at the beginning, i thought that my classmates who majored in chemistry, biology, etc. were at a slight advantage because they had already seen the material before. however, as we've gone along in the year, that advantage has disappeared. i do think that that there are some aspects of medicine where engineering can apply. if you have a biomechanics course at your school you might want to take it to see how medicine and engineering correlate.

i can't tell you exactly how residency is, but i can tell you that all residency programs don't have work hours like that and don't take until you're 34 to finish. it all depends on which one you pick. a surgery residency can go from 5-8 years, while you can finish a family practice residency in 3.

first and foremost, if you are at all interested in medicine, i would recommend shadowing a doctor or doing something that will expose you to what it's like being a doctor. you wouldn't want to start down this road only to find out too late that it's not for you. after doing that, if you still are sure medicine is for you, then start taking prerequisites in the way you feel most comfortable. I will say that doing it the way i did it had a negative effect on my grades.

hope this helps. if i can answer any more questions, send me personal message.

good luck

stick with it. you've got a loooooong way to go so medicine might not be your thing, but if you like engineering you'll be much happier with a degree in that when you hit the job market. if your school has it, switch to biomedical engineering. depending on what field you go into, mechE plays a big role and you'll get some similar training. I did ChemE and then med school. I think the only prereq extra I had to take was biology and biochemistry. we already had plenty of orgo, general chem, physics, and the like.

that being said, chemical engineering is about the worst thing in the world to major in due to insanely high boredom quotient.

Just be sure you explain why you are majoring in ME at the interview. One of my friends with really good MCAT scores and grades got rejected because he screwed up the interview. You have to be able to show that you really are interested in pre-med and you're not just applying to see if you can get in or as a last minute thing. I don't know how serious this guy was about med school because he was doing interviews for engineering jobs while he was still going through the application process.

that being said, chemical engineering is about the worst thing in the world to major in due to insanely high boredom quotient.---wfu2005

D@mn straight! I have a couple more semesters left in my ChE degree and I'm counting down the days!