Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

mechanical or regular pencil

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ruraldr2b, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ruraldr2b

ruraldr2b ruraldoc

I was curious if this made a difference for people as far as speed. I personally have been using mechanical pencils. I don' t have to press as hard to get it as dark as with a regular pencil, plus I like the white erasers on most mechanical pencils.

Just posting a little poll to see what works best for people

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rCubed

rCubed taiko master

mechanical pencils for me too:)

i use the .7mm ones though...i've actually been using the same pencil for all my practice exams, except one, and i didn't too well on that one, so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that i don't lose my lucky pencil by saturday.

just wondering, anyone else have anything that brings them luck?

4. ruraldr2b

ruraldr2b ruraldoc

I am normally not superstitious but since studying for the mcat I have been willing to try anything. For example, after I scored my highest score on a practice test I had 55 cents of change in my pocket (quarter, 3 dimes) and ever since I carry 55 cents in my pocket. I am also going to where the same outfit I was wearing that day for the real thing.

5. rCubed

rCubed taiko master

damn, i forgot what i was wearing the day i scored my highest

6. Focus

Focus crazy!!

Don't forget to check if there's lead in your pencil. Also, if you have two, bring both mechanical pencil or bring some sort of back up #2 pencil. You'll never know if your mechanical pencil will sponatenously break during the exam :eek:

- Focus

7. Focus

Focus crazy!!

I'm not talking about the lead breaking, silly. I'm talking about the mechanical pencil itself breaking or becoming jammed :laugh:

- Focus

8. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist

Oops! Never had that happen. But the thing about mechanical pencils is, they're MECHANICAL. Kinda difficult to break, and easy to fix.

9. uffda

uffda Senior Member

unless you are taking the MCAT and you have 20 mins left in verbal and you've still got 3 passages to go and the lead broke and now the lead is jammed some how and you cannot get a fresh one to come down and when you finally get the pieces separated all your spare leads fly out of the body and scatter down the rows of test takers and ...

you'll be glad to have a spare - no worries.

10. burlypie

burlypie Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've been using a .9 mm mechanical pencil rather than the standars .7mm. it's a little faster for bubbling in the circles, but is still sharp enough to work well :)

11. rCubed

rCubed taiko master

oooh.... a .9 mm, i gotta get myself one of those

12. ermonty

ermonty Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I use plain ole #2s. But b-4 verbal I sharpen them with a knife so that I have a nice long piece of lead and a somewhat dull tip. The long lead allows me to get through verbal (cause I underline everything - helps me speed read) and the dull tip allows for blazing fast bubbling of answers. :cool:

13. Focus

Focus crazy!!

This thread is starting to scare me. :confused:

- Focus

14. lola

lola Bovine Member

yeah... me too! what the heck?
    btw, mechanical pencils do break. you should definitely have an extra with you.

15. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Wow...I think I would be more concerned about how you studied and less concerned about lucky pencils. That is just me though...but then again, I don't have an ulcers. :D

~AS1~

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

Listen peeps, when the Kaplan people told you the MCAT was a battle, they didn't mean a real battle! No bringing 9mm (or other caliber) weapons to the exam! :eek: