Quantcast

mechanical or regular pencil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruraldr2b

ruraldoc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
I was curious if this made a difference for people as far as speed. I personally have been using mechanical pencils. I don' t have to press as hard to get it as dark as with a regular pencil, plus I like the white erasers on most mechanical pencils.

Just posting a little poll to see what works best for people
 

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
mechanical pencils for me too:)

i use the .7mm ones though...i've actually been using the same pencil for all my practice exams, except one, and i didn't too well on that one, so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that i don't lose my lucky pencil by saturday.

just wondering, anyone else have anything that brings them luck?
 

ruraldr2b

ruraldoc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I am normally not superstitious but since studying for the mcat I have been willing to try anything. For example, after I scored my highest score on a practice test I had 55 cents of change in my pocket (quarter, 3 dimes) and ever since I carry 55 cents in my pocket. I am also going to where the same outfit I was wearing that day for the real thing.
 

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by ruraldr2b
I am normally not superstitious but since studying for the mcat I have been willing to try anything. For example, after I scored my highest score on a practice test I had 55 cents of change in my pocket (quarter, 3 dimes) and ever since I carry 55 cents in my pocket. I am also going to where the same outfit I was wearing that day for the real thing.

damn, i forgot what i was wearing the day i scored my highest
 

Focus

crazy!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
142
Reaction score
1
Don't forget to check if there's lead in your pencil. Also, if you have two, bring both mechanical pencil or bring some sort of back up #2 pencil. You'll never know if your mechanical pencil will sponatenously break during the exam :eek:

- Focus
 

Focus

crazy!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
142
Reaction score
1
I'm not talking about the lead breaking, silly. I'm talking about the mechanical pencil itself breaking or becoming jammed :laugh:

- Focus
 

uffda

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
128
Reaction score
3
Originally posted by Samoa
Oops! Never had that happen. But the thing about mechanical pencils is, they're MECHANICAL. Kinda difficult to break, and easy to fix.

unless you are taking the MCAT and you have 20 mins left in verbal and you've still got 3 passages to go and the lead broke and now the lead is jammed some how and you cannot get a fresh one to come down and when you finally get the pieces separated all your spare leads fly out of the body and scatter down the rows of test takers and ...

you'll be glad to have a spare - no worries.
 

burlypie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
I've been using a .9 mm mechanical pencil rather than the standars .7mm. it's a little faster for bubbling in the circles, but is still sharp enough to work well :)
 

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by burlypie
I've been using a .9 mm mechanical pencil rather than the standars .7mm. it's a little faster for bubbling in the circles, but is still sharp enough to work well :)

oooh.... a .9 mm, i gotta get myself one of those
 

ermonty

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 30, 2001
Messages
270
Reaction score
3
I use plain ole #2s. But b-4 verbal I sharpen them with a knife so that I have a nice long piece of lead and a somewhat dull tip. The long lead allows me to get through verbal (cause I underline everything - helps me speed read) and the dull tip allows for blazing fast bubbling of answers. :cool:
 

Focus

crazy!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
142
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by ermonty
I use plain ole #2s. But b-4 verbal I sharpen them with a knife so that I have a nice long piece of lead and a somewhat dull tip. The long lead allows me to get through verbal (cause I underline everything - helps me speed read) and the dull tip allows for blazing fast bubbling of answers. :cool:

This thread is starting to scare me. :confused:

- Focus
 

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
3,848
Reaction score
3
yeah... me too! what the heck?
btw, mechanical pencils do break. you should definitely have an extra with you.
 

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Messages
942
Reaction score
15
Listen peeps, when the Kaplan people told you the MCAT was a battle, they didn't mean a real battle! No bringing 9mm (or other caliber) weapons to the exam! :eek:

Originally posted by rCubed


oooh.... a .9 mm, i gotta get myself one of those
 
Top