mechanical or regular pencil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruraldr2b

ruraldoc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if this made a difference for people as far as speed. I personally have been using mechanical pencils. I don' t have to press as hard to get it as dark as with a regular pencil, plus I like the white erasers on most mechanical pencils.

Just posting a little poll to see what works best for people

Members don't see this ad.

mechanical pencils for me too:)

i use the .7mm ones though...i've actually been using the same pencil for all my practice exams, except one, and i didn't too well on that one, so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that i don't lose my lucky pencil by saturday.

just wondering, anyone else have anything that brings them luck?

I am normally not superstitious but since studying for the mcat I have been willing to try anything. For example, after I scored my highest score on a practice test I had 55 cents of change in my pocket (quarter, 3 dimes) and ever since I carry 55 cents in my pocket. I am also going to where the same outfit I was wearing that day for the real thing.

Originally posted by ruraldr2b
I am normally not superstitious but since studying for the mcat I have been willing to try anything. For example, after I scored my highest score on a practice test I had 55 cents of change in my pocket (quarter, 3 dimes) and ever since I carry 55 cents in my pocket. I am also going to where the same outfit I was wearing that day for the real thing.

damn, i forgot what i was wearing the day i scored my highest

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to check if there's lead in your pencil. Also, if you have two, bring both mechanical pencil or bring some sort of back up #2 pencil. You'll never know if your mechanical pencil will sponatenously break during the exam :eek:

- Focus

I'm not talking about the lead breaking, silly. I'm talking about the mechanical pencil itself breaking or becoming jammed :laugh:

- Focus

Originally posted by Samoa
Oops! Never had that happen. But the thing about mechanical pencils is, they're MECHANICAL. Kinda difficult to break, and easy to fix.

unless you are taking the MCAT and you have 20 mins left in verbal and you've still got 3 passages to go and the lead broke and now the lead is jammed some how and you cannot get a fresh one to come down and when you finally get the pieces separated all your spare leads fly out of the body and scatter down the rows of test takers and ...

you'll be glad to have a spare - no worries.

I've been using a .9 mm mechanical pencil rather than the standars .7mm. it's a little faster for bubbling in the circles, but is still sharp enough to work well :)

Originally posted by burlypie
I've been using a .9 mm mechanical pencil rather than the standars .7mm. it's a little faster for bubbling in the circles, but is still sharp enough to work well :)

oooh.... a .9 mm, i gotta get myself one of those

I use plain ole #2s. But b-4 verbal I sharpen them with a knife so that I have a nice long piece of lead and a somewhat dull tip. The long lead allows me to get through verbal (cause I underline everything - helps me speed read) and the dull tip allows for blazing fast bubbling of answers. :cool:

Originally posted by ermonty
I use plain ole #2s. But b-4 verbal I sharpen them with a knife so that I have a nice long piece of lead and a somewhat dull tip. The long lead allows me to get through verbal (cause I underline everything - helps me speed read) and the dull tip allows for blazing fast bubbling of answers. :cool:

This thread is starting to scare me. :confused:

- Focus

yeah... me too! what the heck?
btw, mechanical pencils do break. you should definitely have an extra with you.

Listen peeps, when the Kaplan people told you the MCAT was a battle, they didn't mean a real battle! No bringing 9mm (or other caliber) weapons to the exam! :eek:

Originally posted by rCubed

oooh.... a .9 mm, i gotta get myself one of those