Jan 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi All,

For all of the mechanical engineers that took all of the pre-reqs (including biochem) I have a couple questions for you. I have finished up all of my engineering besides one additional grad level course I wanted to take (musculoskeletal biomechanics). I was wondering about the amount of overload in my schedule and if it would be too much (some of the pre-med advisors slightly hinted it but I'm hoping with all of the engineering I can handle the course load).

For next semester I'm taking the biomechanics course, bio 2/lab, org1/lab, and astronomy.

Then over the summer I plan on taking Summer 1= Chem 2/lab, Genetics/lab and Summer 2= Orgo2/lab, biochem/lab.

Have any of you done something similar to this and is it feasible?

Thanks,
Matt

QuantumJ

Cryogenics Expert
Aug 28, 2013
Arkham Asylum
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Yes it's doable. Base it on what you've done before though since you know what you can handle better than anyone else. The spring looks straightforward. The summer is going to be extremely busy but possible. Labs are a huge time sink so although chem 2 and genetics aren't difficult by themselves they can take up a huge amount of time. Keep in mind also that an A isn't the only thing you're shooting for; you want mastery of the material for the mcat so if you can actually learn everything you need to know then go for it.

OP
M
Jan 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea I've been taking 18-20 credit hour semesters for my entire college career (that spring semester is 18, each summer is 10) so I think it will more or less be on par with what I'm doing. My main worry is, like you said, the summer classes with 2 labs as the other summer semesters I have taken 8-9 credits with 0-1 labs so I guess I was just looking for input from someone who has taken the 2 lab course load in a summer semester and how they felt about it.

Captain Sisko

U.S.S. Defiant
Sep 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Taking biochemistry and organic 2 at the same time seems like you're rushing it. You don't need to take prereqs before applying, just before you matriculate. Depending on your application year you may want to space things out a bit more. For example, take organic in the summer, biochemistry in the fall, mcat in the spring and then apply in June.

ruedjgtc

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi All,

For next semester I'm taking the biomechanics course, bio 2/lab, org1/lab, and astronomy.
When I started college I thought I was going to be a Mechanical Engineer, boy was I wrong.

I took a year of biomechanics, it was pretty easy as it requires nothing more than the first sections of non calculus Physics. Bio 2 you should be fine as long as you're not struggling with bio 1 conceptually. If you put the basic sciences with bio it's not a hard course, just a lot of terms and paradigms introduced. If you don't need the units or a boost in BCPM I don't know about astronomy though, well it might be fun if you can keep full time status I'd rather take the time to make sure I destroyed Orgo 1. (I also took astronomy)

Then over the summer I plan on taking Summer 1= Chem 2/lab, Genetics/lab and Summer 2= Orgo2/lab, biochem/lab.
Apparently you have a gap in time between Chemistry? I might of read that wrong. Genetics isn't that hard conceptually, it's just time consuming. And taking Orgo 2 + lab & Bio Chem + lab in the summer? You're a better man than me my friend. I wouldn't suggest it, one or the other but not both for the same session in my opinion.

You may pass all of those classes, but will you excel in them? That's something to keep in mind while packing the schedule.

Jan 8, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi All,

For all of the mechanical engineers that took all of the pre-reqs (including biochem) I have a couple questions for you. I have finished up all of my engineering besides one additional grad level course I wanted to take (musculoskeletal biomechanics). I was wondering about the amount of overload in my schedule and if it would be too much (some of the pre-med advisors slightly hinted it but I'm hoping with all of the engineering I can handle the course load).

Have any of you done something similar to this and is it feasible?

Thanks,
Matt

That second summer looks borderline overload to me. O-chem 2 take a lot of time, many more mechnisms and reactions to memorize than O-chem 1. The lab for it is a huge time suck. BioChem at the undergrad level is wider than it is deep, but it's very wide and took up more of my time than any other course in the pre-req curriculum. I'd put it on the same level as Thermodynamics or Fluid Mechanics in terms of time commitment to master the material.