Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Med AND Pharm?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by calcow, May 9, 2007.

1. calcow

calcow New Member

Can we apply to medical and pharmacy schools at the same time? Do the med/pharm admission office know that you are applying to both? Also, do you think pharmacy is a good substitute for medicine?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    You can apply to both but be careful because some schools have an admissions center location where all the standardized tests come in and various departments can possibly see where you are applying.

Pharmacy is really not a substitute for MD. I wanted to do both and got accepted to pharm first and decided to go ahead and do it and then do MD if I can score well enough on the MCAT. I think a PharmD can help with patients because you have a stronger background in the drugs. Anes is my main drive for being a doc and I know the extra knowledge can help there.

Both are excellent careers and you will be lucky to get into either. Pharmacy is less stress and better hours usually, but you do not get the same patient interaction. Try shadowing both and see if you can see yourself doing either or just one. Then, go from there.