Med Business and Career Enhancement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euphrates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your (subjective) opinion, what forms of "career-enhancing" degrees, certifications and short courses would you deem effective for Physician Executives in the workforce? (excluding MMM, MBA, MPH and MHA degrees). Any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, the CPE (certified physician executive) comes to mind. The only disadvantage is that it requires attending status, with years of management experience.

I've met a Chairman who believed in the importance of having a "bioethics" certificate. Although, I'm not quite sure in what sense that would be (directly) applicable...

Also, any thoughts on the effectiveness (perceived value?) of having an MPH-"certificate" (not a degree)? Ivy League certifications, worthwhile? I would like to hear your opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding this topic. Have fun!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In your (subjective) opinion, what forms of "career-enhancing" degrees, certifications and short courses would you deem effective for Physician Executives in the workforce? (excluding MMM, MBA, MPH and MHA degrees). Any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, the CPE (certified physician executive) comes to mind. The only disadvantage is that it requires attending status, with years of management experience.

I've met a Chairman who believed in the importance of having a "bioethics" certificate. Although, I'm not quite sure in what sense that would be (directly) applicable...

Also, any thoughts on the effectiveness (perceived value?) of having an MPH-"certificate" (not a degree)? Ivy League certifications, worthwhile? I would like to hear your opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding this topic. Have fun!:)

Spouse was recently chosen to heading up a non-profit board. Helped to have a pair of grad degrees from top-tier programs in an area related to her board of director role, in that everyone who is familiar with grad school rankings knows these schools are good ones; it's a door-opener in certain areas such as venture capital that are status-conscious.

That's really all the grad degrees or certificates or what-not are; if the door is open, and you don't perform, it's not likely to do you a lot of good to have the degree. In my experience, a handful of years after earning any degree from any school, what you've done is far more important than the letters after your name.

Anybody can provide an opinion on which specific degree is best. And, to an extent, every opinion may be correct according to some executive or other. One approach is to look at the degrees or certificates of the executives who have the position that you aspire to (rather than ask a bunch of anonymous posters what our guess is). What I'm doing personally is speaking with the physician executives who have positions that sound interesting, to learn more about what they do, how they got there, and what they'd suggest to aspiring physician executives.