med education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BayArea student

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me whether Ross Univ. School of Medicine is U.S. accredited. If i complete Basic Sciences courses at Ross and take the Step I of the USMLE, would I be able to transfer those credit units to US med schools for advanced standing?

Thank you very much.

BayArea student

Members don't see this ad.

No. The United States has two accrediting bodies for medical schools. One, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME, a section of the Association of American Medical Colleges, the AAMC, which is a division of the AMA) and the other is the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Bureau of Professional Education, or something to that effect, administed by the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM). The LCME accredits 125 allopathic (MD) medical schools and the AOA accredits 19 osteopathic (DO) medical schools.

You can find out which medical schools are accredited by the LCME and AACOM by visiting their websites. LCME: www.lcme.org AACOM: www.aacom.org

To make a long story short, Ross University School of Medicine on the island of Dominica is NEITHER an LCME-accredited nor an AOA-accredited medical school. Policies regarding transfer into an LCME-accredited medical school GENERALLY require the transfer applicant to have completed the Basic Sciences at another LCME-accredited institution and passed the USMLE Step 1. The University of Miami School of Medicine, an LCME-accredited school, has accepted Island med school students for transfer in the past. I'd check with them to find out if they're still doing that sort of thing.

W.

Turtleboard,

Thank you for your email. But i don't know if RUSM accredited by the WHO (World Health Organization)?.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
It is WHO listed. WHO does not accredit.

One should NOT go abroad for basic sciences and expect to transfer.

UM no longer accepts transfers due to a change in curriculum which will be effective Fall 2002. They MAY accept for Fall 2001, however, that obviously does not help you in your current situation.

Good luck.

Chris