Med Peds Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YellowEmu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an M3, likely applying to Med-Peds next year. I wanted to gather thoughts on the importance of doing an away rotation for 2 reasons: to show interest in the program and to show interest in the city.

I have lived in the midwest my entire life.. HS, college, med school. However, I am couples matching with someone who is originally from the west coast, and we are both interested in living in a new city. How important is it for me to do an away at another city (outside of the midwest) for the purpose of showing that I am willing + interested in moving out of the midwest? I've just heard stories of programs on east/west coast being less likely to grant interviews if you have a long history of being in one city.

In terms of doing an away for the purpose of helping my chances, any thoughts? I'm decently competitive with above-avg step 1 and clinical scores.
Does it matter to stick with programs with just med-peds rotations, because some that I'm interested in do not have a pure med-peds away, just med or peds?

Last question: Can anyone who is in med-peds post thoughts on their experiences with any aways?

Thanks so much.. I have so many questions, I'd appreciate any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm an M3, likely applying to Med-Peds next year. I wanted to gather thoughts on the importance of doing an away rotation for 2 reasons: to show interest in the program and to show interest in the city.

I have lived in the midwest my entire life.. HS, college, med school. However, I am couples matching with someone who is originally from the west coast, and we are both interested in living in a new city. How important is it for me to do an away at another city (outside of the midwest) for the purpose of showing that I am willing + interested in moving out of the midwest? I've just heard stories of programs on east/west coast being less likely to grant interviews if you have a long history of being in one city.

In terms of doing an away for the purpose of helping my chances, any thoughts? I'm decently competitive with above-avg step 1 and clinical scores.
Does it matter to stick with programs with just med-peds rotations, because some that I'm interested in do not have a pure med-peds away, just med or peds?

Last question: Can anyone who is in med-peds post thoughts on their experiences with any aways?

anyone?

...with medpeds apparently becoming more competitive over the past few years, the limited number of programs (and good programs at that) and the few spots at each program, it would probably be worthwhile to do an away rotation. You should be able to email programs of interest and see who has available rotations. I think that it would be best to do a medpeds rotation however if you have a place in mind that has a medpeds program getting a letter from inside the facility would be nice as well as I remember interviewing (and couples matching) and the vast majority of programs had an interviewer from both the categorial medicine or pediatrics programs. Couples matching makes the process tougher so getting a foot in the door would be a good thing. pm me w specific questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Johnnywalker. From talking to a good friend of mine who is currently an intern at a NE med/peds program, doing away rotations at this institution can be extremely helpful, provided you do well (which I tend to think most med students do). Some programs have ranking meetings where residents have a lot of input and if you have interacted with several of them in a positive manner, then you are automatically bumped above other students with similar stats who did not do so well or did not do an away.

I don't think you can go from #90 to #10 based on an away but you might go up 5 or 10 spots, which in med/peds can make a huge difference.

thanks! that's helpful.

now, where to do an away...i prefer bigger cities

Last edited:
There are some big cities in the Midwest, such as Chicago, which has many great programs. If you are leaning toward doing aways in the West Coast, you should consider what would be most high-yield for you. Some programs in California may be very competitive for Med-Peds and whatever specialty your fiance will be applying to. This is the same with the East Coast and the competitiveness of Boston and the few NYC programs. However, if you have your heart set on these cities, you should definitely give it a shot.

Boston's programs (the 2 Harvard programs) are extremely competitive. I think they only interview about 30 applicants each year so I don't know if an away there would make much of a difference.

I don't think NYC has any Med/Peds anymore (Sinai closed their program last year.) but NJ has a few near the city in Newark.

Chicago is probably your best bet for med/peds programs in a big city.

Did anyone have any experience doing away rotations at Vanderbilt, UCSD, or Georgetown?

Thanks for those suggestions. I didn't know the Boston programs interviewed so few candidates. And yes, Mt Sinai no longer has a program.. :(

In terms of Chicago: Love Chicago, from Chicago, in Chicago. I wouldn't mind staying here, but also have an itch for a new city (preferably a large city, at least moderate-sized). My SO feels same way, he's originally from the west coast.
Thus, I am very curious about aways at other places, since I feel I need to prove to them more that I am willing to leave Chicago.

I have similar questions as capedcrusader about those specific places, and also Baylor or USC or UCLA.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for those suggestions. I didn't know the Boston programs interviewed so few candidates. And yes, Mt Sinai no longer has a program.. :(

In terms of Chicago: Love Chicago, from Chicago, in Chicago. I wouldn't mind staying here, but also have an itch for a new city (preferably a large city, at least moderate-sized). My SO feels same way, he's originally from the west coast.
Thus, I am very curious about aways at other places, since I feel I need to prove to them more that I am willing to leave Chicago.

I have similar questions as capedcrusader about those specific places, and also Baylor or USC or UCLA.

Again, thanks!

personally, id look into baylor program first. excellent program. plus if you are couples matching they have taken 8 a year for the last few, making matching a bit easier than smaller programs who may have half spots filled by internal candidates

How about Banner Good Sam in Phoenix?

5th biggest city in the nation, great program, great residents, great program director. The med-peds outpatient elective would be a neat experience. Not sure if you'd also be able to sneak in some inpatient time to get a taste of what it's like to work there but I would imagine the program would work it out.

It's 4 different hospitals: Banner Good Sam, the VA, Maricopa county hospital and Phoenix children's hospital.

Well you can still establish a connection with the west coast since your fiance is from there and most likely would want to do residency and then practice there. So you're not necessarily trapped in the Midwest. Also, is your fiance also attending medical school in the Midwest or is he out west?

Again, thanks!

Yellow Emu, looks like you and I have similar ideas. Let's try to keep in touch down the line so we can exchange notes about the aways we do. It's always good to get an inside look at the culture of some facilities when you can't see it for yourself.

Also, what does everyone think about doing a general I-Med or Peds elective at a place we are interested in? You think that would be just as effective as trying to do a combined Med-Peds away rotation?

I think doing a categorical away rotation would be a great option, but would obviously be the same double-edged sword with any away. I would also make it a point, then, to somehow make it known to the MedPeds PD that you were around and interested in their program while you are on your away.

When I was looking at aways in med-peds, many of the electives are in an outpatient setting, since that is the easiest way they can expose students to the wide spectrum of ages and diseases. Doing a categorical away allows you the opportunity to do more inpatient work (which usually means more work on your end), which I think can give you better insight about resident life at the institution. The reality is that you will be spending a lot of time on wards so I would almost rather see what that experience is over pulling an 8AM - 4PM in clinic.

I think doing a categorical away rotation would be a great option, but would obviously be the same double-edged sword with any away. I would also make it a point, then, to somehow make it known to the MedPeds PD that you were around and interested in their program while you are on your away.

When I was looking at aways in med-peds, many of the electives are in an outpatient setting, since that is the easiest way they can expose students to the wide spectrum of ages and diseases. Doing a categorical away allows you the opportunity to do more inpatient work (which usually means more work on your end), which I think can give you better insight about resident life at the institution. The reality is that you will be spending a lot of time on wards so I would almost rather see what that experience is over pulling an 8AM - 4PM in clinic.

Thanks alot for the constructive suggestions. I've been wrestling with decision to do an outpatient or inpatient elective.

Hi I am currently studying for the usmles (I'm international graduate) as i plan to apply to residency programme.
Very interested in the meds - peds programme.... longterm id like to do meds -peds rheumatolgy, but i heard from a rheumatologist in Ireland that they are moving away from dual sub-specialities.... is this true or can i make a good career out of meds-peds rheuma?

and other question: is meds-peds very competitve compared to IM?
and which are the better programs to apply to ?

Appreciate the help....
would also appreciate if anyone has advice on how to study usmle particularly when in full time employment! :-S

later alligators

There are some combined fellowships in rheum

http://www.medpeds.org/residents/fellowship_guide.asp

If you went to school in Ireland I think some schools there have links to US programs like Tufts, would be worth looking into.

It is more competitive than IM technically because there way fewer spots in M-P, that being said getting into a top IM program isn't easy. There are just so many IM programs of varying desirability you can always get into somewhere if you're not picky, not the same for M-P, it's tougher to get a spot. Obviously some M-P programs have more prestige due to the university they are affiliated with, but you won't find many questionable, non-university affiliated programs like categorical IM so I wouldn't worry. You can apply to all of them and see how many interviews you get, there are only 80. If you get so many interviews you need to narrow it down (certainly not guaranteed), cross that bridge when you come to it, there's time to think before then.

The best way to study for boards is USMLEworld practice questions. If you want a review book for step 1 most people use First Aid.

Hey, I'm essentially on the same boat as annebelle, except I haven't graduated yet.

On the away-rotations inpatient vs outpatient question, I opted to do one month outpatient med-peds and then one month inpatient peds at a different location. Both places have good med-peds programs.

On the USMLE question, I'm pretty lucky. We have a 3 month elective period in our last semester. I get to use one month of those for USMLE step 1, then the other two for the away rotations I mentioned. In the spring, we take a European version of the USMLE step 2 CK called CCSE - and we get a month to prepare for it. I expect to take the actual step 2 ck soon after that. So you could say my school is pretty helpful when it comes to going to the US for residency...

Thanks,
I actually went to college in Hungary (long story)
so im totally in my own boat & out of the loop even in my own country :-O
well, i can only do my best!

if theres any IMG meds-peds residents... be good to hear from u!
a

hey all! just quick fyi's, am not sure how other institutions do it, but away electives for combined medpeds are diff to come by, esp if you want academic credit. observerships are usually easy to swing, but nobody wants to just look. in light of that, i'd recommend calling programs you're interested in and explaining the situation and express your willingness to do a categorical rotation and preference for any medpeds opportunitites.

as for picking an institution, look at cities you'd be happy in but programs with a focus that you like. global health, urban, rural, underserved ... think about the kind of facility you want to work in, pathologies you'd like exposure to. it's a fantastic step in the door, especially if you get to work with a MedPeds attending. you should also inquire as to dates that a MedPeds attending would be covering the wards.

as for inpatient v outpatient, i think you'd get more on an inpatient rotation. you can always try to duck out on light afternoons to see clinic. or if possible extend your time in said institution to do some clinic shadowing. i think inpt v outpt kind of depends on what you're thinking about doing ---specializing, priv prac, etc.

i'm going to tell you now that couples matching is a tricky thing, as it depends on two programs. other specialties arent' always willing to rank a partner as highly. however with IM-MedPeds i think you'll do just fine.

good luck and i hope you find a great place to do your elective!