Med-Peds Revelation and Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year DO student who have been considering EM/IM for a while. However, I am doing my Peds rotation now, and have come to the conclusion that I not only like Peds more than I thought, but also that I don't like EM as much as I thought as well. Also my ultimate goal is to do cardiology, and I think that med-peds would serve me better. My question is that I don't know how competitive I am, considering that I had to retake my step 1 numerous times and upon passing, I barely passed.
At this point I don't know if I should buckle down and study for USMLE 1, which I had already planned on taking because I was interested in EM/IM, or if I should just concentrate on step 2.
For a better picture of myself, my class rank is a bit to be desired, I have good extracurricular activities, leadership activities, and a couple of masters degree's.
Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, I would advise you against taking the USMLE.

You are in the midst of your clinical rotations. You have failed COMLEX in the past and barely passed it on retry. It is only worthwhile for you to take the USMLE if you can be sure you can do well on it. But with the time constraints of clinical rotations along with your poor performances on COMLEX, I'm not sure you can do well. And the USMLE have a different focus than COMLEX. If you end up failing USMLE or barely pass it, it will hurt your application (certainly raise a red flag)

My input on what you should do

1. COMLEX Level 2- take it early, pass it, and do well on it.

2. Do audition rotations at hospitals where Med-Peds programs are located. Try to have faculty and residents get to know you. The rotation deesn't have to be "med-peds" rotation but rotations where you can have a lot of face time with current residents and med-peds faculty

3. Do well on your sub-Is.

4. Get good letters of recommendations. Check the sticky in this forum for Med-Peds LOR requirements (and of course, always verify that it is accurate with the program since requirements may have changed)

5. Apply broadly.

Those are just my recommendations. Good luck.

Thanks alot for your advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
In doing some research, I have seen that many programs emphasize the USMLE. Should I still attempt to take the test or, just take my chances with my COMLEX scores?

As Group-Theory advised, concentrate on COMLEX 2 and your clinical rotations right now. You need to do as well as possible on those in order to be competitive. You are right that many programs want USMLE STEP 1 and/or 2 if you are applying to them, but there are many others who will interview DO's without them. Med-Peds is a growing field, and will become more and more competitive over time, unless more positions or programs open up.

I agree that away rotations at one or two places that have med-peds programs would be helpful. Be sure to contact those med-peds programs and let them know your interest so that they can help line up the best type of rotation for you, and would be an awesome source for LORs if you do very well on the rotation.

My Med-Peds program did require DO's to take USMLE 1 and 2 prior to interview at one time, but recently dropped that requirement. That is not to say it won't be re-enforced again next year, but I doubt it.

Good luck!!!!

You won't make the initial cut for many programs, but if the rest of your application is ok, you will get interviews. If you get enough interviews, present yourself well, and rank enough of them, you'll get into a program you can like.