Med/Peds - top/middle/low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x1052

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what the top/middle/and low tier med/peds programs are?

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question... there is probably no real objective way to stratify the schools like this, but will be fun to see what people think!

Any thoughts on what the top/middle/and low tier med/peds programs are?

Probably different ways of viewing this. Depends on whether your focus is primary care or academia. Then, you could put first those programs with greatest history and integration (e.g. URMC, UNC). Then, you could just take the separate IM and peds reputations and average them, so that there are some places with really strong medicine and less famous peds (e.g. Duke) or really strong peds and less famous medicine (e.g. Cincinnati), along with places that are really outstanding at both separately (e.g. the Penn-CHOP and BWH-CHB).

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably different ways of viewing this. Depends on whether your focus is primary care or academia. Then, you could put first those programs with greatest history and integration (e.g. URMC, UNC). Then, you could just take the separate IM and peds reputations and average them, so that there are some places with really strong medicine and less famous peds (e.g. Duke) or really strong peds and less famous medicine (e.g. Cincinnati), along with places that are really outstanding at both separately (e.g. the Penn-CHOP and BWH-CHB).

Thanks for your response. I am finding it very overwhelming to try and figure out what my "top choices" are.

Is all of that from personal knowledge? I have tended to keep to myself during med school due to personal family health reasons (caregiving responsibilities) and I feel like I missed the memo on trying to discern the good from the bad.

I am hoping to do a fellowship after med/peds, so I guess I could look at how the program's place their graduates as well.

Also, there are programs out there like Baystate and Christiana, who may not be part of the elite medicine or peds level, but have such a strong Med-Peds presence that they are still considered solid programs.

I think that is one of the bigger factors for me, how well integrated Med-Peds is as well as having its own strong identity in the program. You don't want to be just shunted back and forth between medicine and peds categorical programs.

I think the relative reputations of the categorical programs generally approximate the competitiveness of the med-peds program, though there are always exceptions. The previous SDN user reviews of med-peds programs thread is a useful resource for finding out more about programs, though it is not a rank listing. Reader beware, however, reviews are subject to the whim of the posters, and may or may not be completely accurate (not to mention that programs change year to year quite frequently, especially in the era of changing work hour regulations and budget constraints).