Quantcast

Med school admission ??

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbusadjust120

~Singaporean~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has only applied for 5 medical schools in california. During that time, i told her that her chances will be very slim.

Guess what today!! She emailed me and informed me that all 5 schools interviewed her and accepted her. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I know her college GPA is 4.0 and her MCAT is 41R. She does not have any research experience but she has shadowed many doctors throughout all her 4 years in college. She said that it might be due to her own medical condition which she has included in her personal statement. The interviewer asked her questions regarding her medical condition and all the rest are conversational topics.

I am wondering is she lying to me or maybe students with medical conditions *do* get higher chance in getting accepted by medical schools??:confused::confused:

al112987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally think her 4.0 and 41R had a lot more to do with it...

Seriously, those numbers put you in like... the 99.9% of applicants statistically.

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4.0 and 41 MCAT? What's her medical condition, giant monster brain syndrome?

Honestly, I don't think you need to look much past her stats in this case.

beepbloop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, WellWornLad, watch your mouth. GMBS is a serious condition and those of us afflicted with this horrendous curse don't take kindly to folks such as yourself poking fun. I'll only warn you once. Once . . .

I am pretty sure the 41, 4.0 got her in. They probably didn't even bother to read the PS...

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the 41, 4.0 got her in. They probably didn't even bother to read the PS...
If I had those stats, my personal statement would have read "Available upon request".

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering is she lying to me or maybe students with medical conditions *do* get higher chance in getting accepted by medical schools??:confused::confused:

i think it depends on the condition and how you spin it. if it really was a significant part of her life that brought her into close contact with physicians and the whole field of medicine and really motivated her to become a physician herself, then yeah, it probably helped.

the trick is to introduce a piece of information like that without sounding whiny and sympathy-seeking. i was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma the week that i started an intensive year-of-gen-chem-in-8-weeks, and the wide excision and pain medication that followed seriously effed me up. however, i didn't mention it to most schools because although it was a significant challenge that i overcame, i did not want to appear like i was seeking some sort of pity points.

i did mention it to a couple of schools (the ones that required me to write like, 8 secondary essays) because i was simply running out of significant experiences to talk about, and it didn't come up in my interviews.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally think her 4.0 and 41R had a lot more to do with it...

Seriously, those numbers put you in like... the 99.9% of applicants statistically.

Exactly while ECs are important California is a school which statistically takes people with the best of the best numbers and a lot of times with research so I think the numbers had to do with it.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I had those stats, my personal statement would have read "Available upon request".

I was thinking more like,

She probably could have written something like:
"ME LIKE STETHOSCOPE! HEART GO THUMP THUMP!"

...and probably still got interviews. :laugh:

To be fair, I'm sure your friend interviews very well as well, but those stats definitely help.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Nah, just one word in your PS:

"WAZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH"

SageFrancis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nah, just one word in your PS:

"WAZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH"

Well, this person has got to be really smart. I figured her PS would be:

Why Medicine?

To help people.

The End.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's the merit that counts, that's all. Everything else is just extra credit. Otherwise, the only reason you would get waitlisted or rejected is if you really, really, really mess up the interview.