1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Med school admssions books

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doctor4ever, Aug 9, 2002.

1. doctor4ever

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can anyone tell me the titles of some good medical school admisions books?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JumboFool

JumboFool Fantasy Baseball Addict
    10+ Year Member

I really like the Princeton Review Guide to Medical Schools, and found it to be *much* more helpful than the AAMC Med School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), which I know is akin to the Bible for a lot of folk 'round here. The PR book gives you tons more information about student life at each individual school, provides breakdowns of each school's admissions habits/criteria, gives detailed curricula, and info on residency match results. And no, I didn't take a PR course or anything. They just publish a damn good guide.

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The main difference is that the Princeton Review guide is available for free online (link).

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

I did not really find any of these useful at all. I bough MSAR and did not open it from the irst time I got it. USnews ranking were much more helpful and informative than MSAR. It took me much less time to go through a bunch schools on computer.

6. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

I think the most valuable tool is this website. Most books teach the same philosophies and give the same advice. Just ask all the questions you want on here and there are some wonderful people that will help you out! Good luck.

7. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

I would recommend going to your campus book store and skimming over an admissions book or two. They also have them at Barnes and noble where they have couches for you to sit down and read them. They are a one-time read deal, so you would be saving your money. Librarys often have older, but still good, med school admission books too. The only book that I would recommend purchasing is US News and world report, and the MSAR.

8. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I liked the Baron's Guide to Medical Schools and Dental Schools; I used that and cross-referenced with MSAR.

9. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The best med school admissions book BY FAR is

Get into Medical School! A Guide for the perplexed

by Kenneth V. Iserson

Galen Press

It is hard to find, but it guides you through every process of med schools admissions including how to pack your luggage. It is humorous at times as well. good read.

10. calbears84

calbears84 professional baller
    7+ Year Member

peterson's Insider's guide to medical school....very good book

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

SDN is the best guide! But the MSAR is essential. I used it in conjunction with USNews to decide which schools to apply to. I tore out the pages on each school I was interviewing at and took them along to my interviews to review on the way. It may not have as much info as Princeton Review or USNews, but it's info the school deems important. It also has a great section on financial aid which should be read sooner rather than later.