JumboFool

Fantasy Baseball Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2002
Red Sox Nation
Status
I really like the Princeton Review Guide to Medical Schools, and found it to be *much* more helpful than the AAMC Med School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), which I know is akin to the Bible for a lot of folk 'round here. The PR book gives you tons more information about student life at each individual school, provides breakdowns of each school's admissions habits/criteria, gives detailed curricula, and info on residency match results. And no, I didn't take a PR course or anything. They just publish a damn good guide.

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The main difference is that the Princeton Review guide is available for free online (link).

About the Ads

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
I did not really find any of these useful at all. I bough MSAR and did not open it from the irst time I got it. USnews ranking were much more helpful and informative than MSAR. It took me much less time to go through a bunch schools on computer.

Centrum

SMILEY KING
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
TX
Status
I think the most valuable tool is this website. Most books teach the same philosophies and give the same advice. Just ask all the questions you want on here and there are some wonderful people that will help you out! Good luck.

ckent

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2000
Smallville/Metropolis
www.supermanhomepage.com
Status
I would recommend going to your campus book store and skimming over an admissions book or two. They also have them at Barnes and noble where they have couches for you to sit down and read them. They are a one-time read deal, so you would be saving your money. Librarys often have older, but still good, med school admission books too. The only book that I would recommend purchasing is US News and world report, and the MSAR.

kidsmd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2002
Cincinnati
Status
I liked the Baron's Guide to Medical Schools and Dental Schools; I used that and cross-referenced with MSAR.

Thewonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
The best med school admissions book BY FAR is

Get into Medical School! A Guide for the perplexed

by Kenneth V. Iserson

Galen Press

It is hard to find, but it guides you through every process of med schools admissions including how to pack your luggage. It is humorous at times as well. good read.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2001
anchorage, ak
Visit site
Status
SDN is the best guide! But the MSAR is essential. I used it in conjunction with USNews to decide which schools to apply to. I tore out the pages on each school I was interviewing at and took them along to my interviews to review on the way. It may not have as much info as Princeton Review or USNews, but it's info the school deems important. It also has a great section on financial aid which should be read sooner rather than later.

About the Ads