1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Med School Advice for a Musician?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by roscoe7, May 6, 2004.

1. roscoe7

roscoe7 New Member

I think I have a unique "non-trad" situation that I would love some advice on. I Graduated from UCLA three years ago with a 3.84 (about the same science and non-science), music major, and just took the MCAT (was getting 31-33 range on the practices with Kaplan). After graduation, I was in a band signed to Interscope Records that toured the country for two years, got radio and play, etc, but ultimately didn't do that well and broke up. I'm still playing music professionally, this time I'm backing up a singer, we're touring amphitheatres and doing TV appearances this summer, but my ultimate goal has always been to go to med school. My problem is that I have absolutely no clinical/research/volunteer med work at all. My only thing is some work with a charity where we played music for children in children's hosiptals around the country. So, my question is this: do you think it's worth applying now without any traditional EC's, or should I wait until I have time to volunteer in a few clinics at least, also, will adcoms care about the music stuff? I'm also worried about how long my grades/mcats will last because I don't want to take any post-bacc or retake the MCATs. I also think it will be virtually impossible to go back and get LOR's from UCLA three years later. (I guess it was a few questions:)
    Thanks in advance,
    Roscoe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lisa13579

lisa13579 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I received my BFA in dance 5 years ago and toured as well. I took all of my prereqs an hoc after graduating. I have no research experience and only a little volunteer experience in a hospital (3 months). I am starting med school this fall and got into 4 schools. :) I truly believe that my unique experiences helped me to stand out in the process. Oh, and I only got a 29 on the MCAT, 3.7 GPA (4.0 in the post-bac prereq work). I think your experiences can only help you as well. Maybe you can volunteer once a week for an hour or two this summer, that way you will be able to talk about your health care experiences during interviews. I think you should definiately apply now. :thumbup:

4. roscoe7

roscoe7 New Member

Thanks, and congratulations, yeah I may try to do some work at the free clinic in LA this month, but it won't be much because I don't have much time.

Ross

5. lisa13579

lisa13579 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it's ok even if it's not much, just do something. And I forgot to tell you that your experiences sound so awesome!!! I hope I have people like you in my med school class!

Are you a singer?

6. meltmyfaceoff

meltmyfaceoff Member
    7+ Year Member

where you gonna apply to, hootie?

no really, what band were you in?

7. absolutezero

7+ Year Member

post deleted

8. sly_dogg

sly_dogg Omaha Bound 2004
    7+ Year Member

I think if you get at least a few months of volunteer work in before you get to interviews you'll be okay with your stats, as long as your MCAT is still in the 31-33 range.

I had stats similar to yours and about 7 months worth of volunteering and I got in this year.

If I were you I would consider applying to Tulane. They really seem to like people that have your kind of musical ability. They had a lot of artistic types at the school when I interviewed there.

Good Luck!!

9. pillion

pillion Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Roscoe, check out UT in San Antonio. They tend to accept more non-trad students who have some life-experience. Besides, we could jam sometime (I'm a bassist).