1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Med School Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by YungBrev, Sep 4, 2014.

1. YungBrev

Pre-Medical
    I am currently a junior at a university, studying Health and Human Physiology. I have:
    - a 3.35 GPA
    - a 3.3 math/science GPA
    - over 200 hours of hospital volunteering
    - multiple experiences of shadowing doctors
    - taken multiple mission trips to Haiti/Africa/Mexico
    - should have decent letters of recommendation
    - participated in many clubs, some dealing with pre-health, others not.

I am hoping to improve my GPA, although it might only be slightly. I am planning on taking the MCAT next May/June (advice?) and realize I need to get a great score, due to my GPA struggles. I am also deciding if I should graduate in 3, 3.5, or 4 years. After this fall semester I only need 28 credits which is easily doable in 2 semesters (so I could be done after summer of 2015). If I graduate early, I need to decide what to do for a year, if I get into med school, or 2 years if I have to reapply.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if graduating early is a good idea? If I should be applying for graduate school for next year, and does it help med school chances? What month to take the MCAT? MCAT study tips? Other general advice for my current situation?

Any advice helps, thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AspiringERMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    With your GPA, I would take as many classes as I could that I thought I could do well in. You don't want it to just sit at 3.3. But digging yourself out of a hole is easier said than done.

4. 10Acious

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What are your goals in going to med school? Does where you attend matter to you?

5. YungBrev

Pre-Medical
    I agree with taking lots of classes, but its also very hard to significantly raise my GPA this late, and is it worth another semester, or two, of tuition? My goals for med school are getting in somewhere, haha. I have preferences, I would rather leave the midwest and broaden my horizons, but beggars can't be choosers!

6. Osteoth

Osteoth Fake it till ya' make it
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So are you ok with DO?

7. YungBrev

Pre-Medical
    Very much so, my father is DO.

8. Dr. Retractor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Then you could retake some classes you did poorly in and get your GPA up to be very competitive for DO.

AspiringERMD likes this.