Med school after Master's in Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaelena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am a foreign student,I have a Master's in psychology from Italy, hence I don't have ALL my prereq courses (I have some, like biology genetics, though no labs). I would like to study in the USA but I would like to understand which are my chances of getting an admission if I am not a permanent resident. I also would like to know if it is necessary to have those prereq courses or if I can get them after I get in.

My GPA is 3.85.
Suggestions?
Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances of a US med school acceptance as an international applicant are lower than they would be if you were a citizen or permanent resident/green card holder. Further, US med schools will require that your have 60-90 hours of coursework completed at an accredited US or Canadian college, including all the prerequisite courses. AMCAS, the primary application service, does not accept foreign transcripts. Prerequisites must be completed before matriculation for the majority of med schools. There are a few that require them to be completed before you apply.

What is I fisrt get an admission in a PT school?
I think most of the prereq for Med school will be covered during the first year. What do you think?

Thanks for your answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the requirements for PT school, or what their first year courses might be (though you might look in SDN's Physical Therapy Forum at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210 for more information). I do know that if you enter a graduate level program, you're generally expected to complete your commitment to the program before matriculating into med school. It would be frowned on for you to take a seat away from another applicant who would have completed the program.

I would finish the program of course!
I was just thinking maybe getting into PT first and then going from there into med school would be a more appropriate path, unlike wasting one year taking courses and maybe not even getting accepted into med school, and having to try the following year.

But thank you for your feedback I appreciate it|!