Med school after PA school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by PAstudent, Nov 3, 2002.

1. PAstudent

PAstudent New Member

I'm a third-year (out of four) physician assistant student, and I have a fiance who is a fourth-year premed student. I used to waver a lot between whether I should become an MD or a PA, until I enrolled in PA school... and now I'm realizing that I think I'd like to be a doctor someday. Of course, my fiance and I are now planning to get married just after I graduate from PA school, so I can support us during his medical school. We're also hoping to have children at some point. I was wondering if it's realistic to consider working as a PA for a few years, then taking the MCAT and going to medical school (possibly with children). Would it be prohibitively difficult to be both a medical student and a good parent? And would becoming a physician have any considerable advantages over being a PA, other than it being the fulfilment of a dream? The added income would have nothing to do with my motivation, since my husband will be a doctor. Anyway, if anyone has any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    There are several threads about this on the pa forum. I am a pa and a parent and am in the process of appling to md/do programs. it all depends how much control you need over your practice.if you can be happy in a dependent role, stay a pa. if not, obtain an md/do

4. phinicky

phinicky Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also know that there are some schools, like mine (GW), that have 5-year programs- which is nice for people with children.