med school and the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im am considering entering the military so i will have no loans for school. Im curious if anyone knows alot about this and knows the best way to go about doing it Ex. what branch of the military(army, navy, air force marines)is the best? I was also curious what are the current salaries for civilian residents comparted to residents in the military? Is it worth it? I would appreciate knowing what all of this entails. Thanks
P.S.
Oh yea, this all is contingent on whether or not i get off the DAMN WAITLIST AT LECOM!

Members don't see this ad.

look in "osteopathy" few discussions are posted there

Here's what I've heared...

If you want the BEST medical training, go to the NAVY!!! The reason is, they serve both the Navy and the Marines.

If you want the cushiest job go to the AIR FORCE.... That's it for now....

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry Popoy but I must disagree on both counts. The Army residency programs most definitely have the highest board pass rates and the "cushiness" of the Air Force is actually a perception that has carried forward from when the Air Force became a separate service from the Army and needed to build all new facilities. The disparity created by that has long since been evened out even though the perception remains.

Thanks DocHunter.... A friend of mines is currently in the AirForce and he still thinks is the "cushiest job" (and glad of it).... As for the Navy being better, that was a stated given by fellow Navy officers..... Do you disagree that the Navy serves both Navy and Marine men and women? I think that statement is at least right in some accounts.... :cool:

I vote Army. Largest # of patients to serve. Walter Reed, Tripler Army Med Center, Brooke Army med Center, and Madigan to name a few of the outstanding Army facilities. I looked at all three services and decided on Army. They have the largest # of teaching facilities and EM and Surgery slots. Checkout Walter Reeds web site and Madigan Army Medical Center. I will be a firstyear med student next year. I think it is a personal choice as to what branch you serve in. You are still in the Military and may be in harms way no matter what branch. I worked at Walter Reed for a year when I was a Junior in College in 1993 and then at the NIH from 93-95. I saw a lot of Docs from all branches. Bethesda Naval hospital is also a great med center. Good Luck!!

Speaking of military medicine...is anyone out there in USUHS (Bethesda, MD)? Or is anyone considering it?
I have been trying to get an idea of how different that course may be from the HPSP route?

Just one thing, guys...

Be very careful about doing a stint in the military "purely" for the money. When you start stacking up a lot of the "challenges" to military life: Family separation, a very dangerous job, frequent moves, the structure of the chain of command, etc., It will often get to the point where they really can't pay you enough for all of the sacrifices you have to make.

Most of the time, it doesn't really matter, because the money isn't the only (nor the most important)reason that people go into the military. The "good side" is usually very good as long as you make that personal decision that it's right for you.

I've spent 10 years in the Navy, and I've loved it. It's been my experience that the people that have the most complaints about serving in the military are the people that did it entirely or mostly for financial reasons ("I hate the military...I just wanted a way to pay for college.)

Anyway, like everyting else in the world, it's up to the individual. My unasked for advice is to think about it carefully, and make the choice for the right reasons. I'd be happy to share my experiences and opinions, if you're interested.

Cheers,
-Fred