Med School applicant considering Podiatry...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to med school this past cycle and it hasn't gone well at all.

But now, I am also considering switching to Podiatry. I was always interested in it too, but thought medicine would be better,I think my stats are ok, but please help me with a school list:

3.25 overall GPA, 3.1 science, 498 MCAT, 100+ hours researching, 40+ shadowing, 80+ tutoring English, and I was also an assistant HS basketball coach.

The problem is, I haven't shadowed a podiatrist. This means no LOR. I also didn't take statistics, which is required at many schools right?

Also, the timeline will be screwed up because by the time I actually need the LOR, won't the cycle be over?

Members don't see this ad.

But now, I am also considering switching to Podiatry. I was always interested in it too, but thought medicine would be better,I think my stats are ok, but please help me with a school list:

3.25 overall GPA, 3.1 science, 498 MCAT, 100+ hours researching, 40+ shadowing, 80+ tutoring English, and I was also an assistant HS basketball coach.

The problem is, I haven't shadowed a podiatrist. This means no LOR. I also didn't take statistics, which is required at many schools right?

Also, the timeline will be screwed up because by the time I actually need the LOR, won't the cycle be over?

Your stats will get you interviews.

Timeline wise you should be ok for the bigger schools.

Shadow and get an LOR. Most schools will give interview invite before turning in your LOR with exception of Scholl. But you need to shadow so when they ask "Tell me about a time you shadowed" or "Why podiatry" you don't answer with "It was a logical and plausible backup that fit my academic profile.".

Still possible to get you in this cycle but you need to hustle.

Worse case get everything done and apply soon as apps open in August next cycle.

I dunno, sounds like it's really just a plan B for you. If you were interested in it before why didn't you just apply to podiatry schools this past cycle as well? If that is the case then you shouldn't settle. There are plenty of practicing MDs and DOs who didn't get accepted their first or second cycle. Retake your MCAT, maybe do a Master's, then apply to DO schools. Taking an extra year or two to set up what you're gonna do for the rest of your life is the smart move, rather than settling just to save time.

If you really wanna do podiatry I know Temple is willing to interview people even after their seats are full and put them on a waitlist—even though I'm sure Temple and the other big schools still aren't full at this point. If you get on Temple's waitlist you may get lucky if someone else back's out. Otherwise, if you get on their waitlist this cycle you're guaranteed a seat next cycle. So if you're really interested, then don't waste any time and apply ASAP.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, LOR is required for podiatry school.

Dont freak out, don't rush your decision, most med school applicants have taken a few years after undergrad to figure out applications and what they wanna do. Average pod student age in my class i believe was 26. I was 23 when I started and already took 2 years off to figure out applications. Shadow a podiatrist, make sure surgery is something you want to do, and if it is, make sure foot surgery is something you would like to do. If you have to miss this cycle then so be it, take some time to work, save up some money, do some meditation in the mountains and make sure you are doing what will make you the most happy. After the first year of pod school, many left because they decided it wasn't right for them. Some decided to do something else after the 2nd or 3rd year to do nursing or pharmacy school. I even know one who left after graduating to try dental school. Point is, figure it out now so you don't waste money figuring it out later.

Reactions: 3 users
Some people will tell you not to get into it because it sounds like your plan B, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that 40% of current podiatry students are there because they couldn't make it into med school or dental school or DO. So whatev

Just make sure you can be passionate about it because podiatry school is a long and difficult grind. Plenty of people drop out in the middle because their lukewarm passion wasn't able to carry them. But you'll get in somewhere with those stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people will tell you not to get into it because it sounds like your plan B, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that 40% of current podiatry students are there because they couldn't make it into med school or dental school or DO. So whatev

Just make sure you can be passionate about it because podiatry school is a long and difficult grind. Plenty of people drop out in the middle because their lukewarm passion wasn't able to carry them. But you'll get in somewhere with those stats.

Interesting....

I was one of those people that is using podiatry school as a backup. My interviewers actually asked that question of me, why I was applying to both Medical school and Podiatry school. I told them that I liked how much podiatry has to offer. I told them the truth, and I was accepted.

There were plenty of students there that did not get into MD/DO school and only got an acceptance to Pod school. They seem to have made peace with it, as I probably will. Despite wanting to go to medical school, podiatry school is about the closest thing to "MD/DO medical school" you can get. Pod school isn't PA school. It isn't an online doctorate of Nurse Practitioner degree either. It's the real deal. As pods, we will be opening people up and doing reconstructive ankle surgery. We can take call, we can give injections, and we do save lives!

But, you should go to dental school. Its the smartest decision of all the health professions.

Reactions: 1 users
I wass one of those people that is using podiatry school as a backup. My interviewers actually asked that question of me, why I was applying to both Medical school and Podiatry school. I told them that I liked how much podiatry has to offer. I told them the truth, and I was accepted.

There were plenty of students there that did not get into MD/DO school and only got an acceptance to Pod school. They seem to have made peace with it, as I probably will. Despite wanting to go to medical school, podiatry school is about the closest thing to "MD/DO medical school" you can get. Pod school isn't PA school. It isn't an online doctorate of Nurse Practitioner degree either. It's the real deal. As pods, we will be opening people up and doing reconstructive ankle surgery. We can take call, we can give injections, and we do save lives!

But, you should go to dental school. Its the smartest decision of all the health professions.

Dental hella competitive from my area.

3.7+ averages with high DAT and ECs.

These are people I have no doubt could apply MD/DO and still hash it out with the best of them.

Reactions: 2 users
If you look at the data, it's harder to get into dental school than MD school. Though average matriculant GPAs are similar to those for matriculating MDs, the overall acceptance rates for dental school are lower.

Dental hella competitive from my area.

3.7+ averages with high DAT and ECs.

These are people I have no doubt could apply MD/DO and still hash it out with the best of them.

If you look at the data, it's harder to get into dental school than MD school. Though average matriculant GPAs are similar to those for matriculating MDs, the overall acceptance rates for dental school are lower.

Fellas, stats and competitiveness aside think of the dental profession as a whole! Sure you may know one or two anecdotal exceptions but dental folks really live up to the "medical career = money" notion held by the general public.

All the ones I see with private practices drive cars like Porsche and Aston Martin. They live in very nice neighborhoods too.

And guess what? There's no residency and making chump change during said residency. They seem to make bank straight out of school. The hours are good. They don't deal with stress like deaths and breaking news of cancer to a family. A dentist NEVER has to explain what it is they do to the general public; podiatry does along with some other specialties in MD/DO. some people don't have a clue about what the many 'cians & 'ologist really do. "What's the difference with optometry and opthomalogy?" "What's DO? I thought doctors were MD?" Catch my drift?

Overall, dental is a pretty sweet package! By nature though, podiatry is where I would have ended up regardless.

I always go for the road less traveled by in almost all that I do.

Fellas, stats and competitiveness aside think of the dental profession as a whole! Sure you may know one or two anecdotal exceptions but dental folks really live up to the "medical career = money" notion held by the general public.

All the ones I see with private practices drive cars like Porsche and Aston Martin. They live in very nice neighborhoods too.

And guess what? There's no residency and making chump change during said residency. They seem to make bank straight out of school. The hours are good. They don't deal with stress like deaths and breaking news of cancer to a family. A dentist NEVER has to explain what it is they do to the general public; podiatry does along with some other specialties in MD/DO. some people don't have a clue about what the many 'cians & 'ologist really do. "What's the difference with optometry and opthomalogy?" "What's DO? I thought doctors were MD?" Catch my drift?

Overall, dental is a pretty sweet package! By nature though, podiatry is where I would have ended up regardless.

I always go for the road less traveled by in almost all that I do.
If you're in it for the money, podiatry may still be a better gig. From the 2010 MGMA physician salary survey I have come these average salaries.
Dentist - $190,860
Podiatry: General - $216,611
Podiatry: Surgical Foot and Ankle - $287,449

These are average salaries, not starting salaries. Taking into account that podiatry residents still make about $50,000 per year during residency and residency is 3 years, a dentist would indeed be out and making more money quicker but once the podiatrist graduates residency their salary will likely be higher than the dentists, allowing them to overtake the income lead that the dentist had within 5-10 years after residency and from thereon out would likely leave the dentist eating their dust in terms of $$$. But the good news for the dentists is they'll save money on having someone clean the dust out of their teeth, since they would already be the experts in that area. :laugh:

If you're in it for the money, podiatry may still be a better gig. From the 2010 MGMA physician salary survey I have come these average salaries.
Dentist - $190,860

These are average salaries, not starting salaries. Taking into account that podiatry residents still make about $50,000 per year during residency and residency is 3 years, a dentist would indeed be out and making more money quicker but once the podiatrist graduates residency their salary will likely be higher than the dentists, allowing them to overtake the income lead that the dentist had within 5-10 years after residency and from thereon out would likely leave the dentist eating their dust in terms of $$$. But the good news for the dentists is they'll save money on having someone clean the dust out of their teeth, since they would already be the experts in that area. :laugh:

And it's not just the big time reconstructive ankle surgeries that make the cash, but the nail maintainance. Apparently it's 60$ for a full set of toe nail clippings, that's like more than 5$ per toe! Not beneath me, takes like 7 mins.

And a pod can bang out 5 nail evulsions (ingrown toenails) in an hour. I'm starting to think that it's in these minor procedures where the cash can be made.

Dentist - $190,860

I'm sorry but I don't buy those salaries. Podiatrists don't make that much on average. Unless you're living in the heart of a big expensive city. Besides, dentists just make more money. There's simply more opportunities to make money as a dentist. This is the only source I've seen where a dentist's salary is lower than a podiatrist's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but I don't buy those salaries. Podiatrists don't make that much on average. Unless you're living in the heart of a big expensive city. Besides, dentists just make more money. There's simply more opportunities to make money as a dentist. This is the only source I've seen where a dentist's salary is lower than a podiatrist's?
There's also the 2015 ACFAS survey which showed that the average podiatrist had the following:
Base Salary: $211,723
Cash Bonuses: $51,108 (Counting only bonuses, not any other cash-like benefits)
Base + Bonuses: $262,831

The MGMA survey and ACFAS survey are both surveys of hundreds of podiatrists. I realize you may have heard some podiatrists complain about how much they make (we all have) or you may know some podiatrists' salaries, but unless you personally know the finances of over 500 podiatrists, then I would trust the surveys.

Last edited:
There's also the 2015 ACFAS survey which showed that the average podiatrist had the following:

The MGMA survey and ACFAS survey are both surveys of hundreds of podiatrists. I realize you may have heard some podiatrists complain about how much they make (we all have) or you may know some podiatrists' salaries, but unless you personally know the finances of over 500 podiatrists, then I would trust the surveys.

Wow, you're actually right. Podiatrists in my area make more money than dentists! Maybe a dentist saturation occurred in the last decade or so?

Wow, you're actually right. Podiatrists in my area make more money than dentists! Maybe a dentist saturation occurred in the last decade or so?

n = 2 for saturation but what the guys I talked to said (one in 3rd year one already out for 2 years) was the older practices don't want to hand over the reigns to the new graduates.

At least where I'm from (Texas) it seems like there's a dentist on every corner. Much more so than almost any other specialty I can think of at the moment. I don't know if dental groups are just smaller on average so there are more practices overall or if it's because not many are employed in hospitals so they seem more abundant when driving around town or some other reason I can't conjure up right now. But that's my anecdotal evidence for saturation, lol.

But dentistry is obviously still a very good investment. Plus they only average like 35-40 hours per week, which is very good for the money. Podiatrists average just over 40 hours per week, which is also good. There are a bunch of medical specialties that work 60-80 hours per week...no thanks. You would be stackin' piles of cash but have no time to spend/enjoy it.

Dentist - $190,860

The big negative with Dentistry is the tuition. Dental schools might be the most expensive professional school in north America. If you go to a private schools, it'll take a while to pay off the debt even though you started working 3 years earlier. I also think (based on no evidence whatsoever) that professions with mandated residency is less likely to be saturated than the ones that aren't. In that regard, Podiatry might be in a better position. Just my $0.02.

I was looking at the bureau of labor statistics and they list pods at around 120k. Why is there such a difference?

I was looking at the bureau of labor statistics and they list pods at around 120k. Why is there such a difference?
ACFAS surveys usually have a response from a particular group of pods while the government is able to find not only full-time podiatrists but also those who may not be working full time or have a different type of practice than the ACFAS members.

Long story short, I don't know. BLS collects their data through a mail survey apparently. They list the median around $120,000 and the mean around $140,000.

BLS reports that there are 9,500 podiatrists, not including self employed podiatrists, but probably including residents since the job categories are predetermined and a resident's best option on the survey would be podiatrist. I would think that residents (and those in fellowships) bring the stats down considerably. Consider that if there are 9,500 podiatrists total (I believe there are really at least 12,000) and 550 graduating students per year then there are about 1,650 residents and 7,850 practicing podiatrists (again, I think this number is low). Residents make about $50,000 per year. The BLS data uses an hourly wage system, and then multiplies that by 40 hour work weeks to get the overall wage. For a resident working 80 hours per week for a wage of $50,000, that works out to something like $12/hour, whereas a practicing podiatrist working 40 hours per week and making $225,000 per year (surgical podiatrists make about $280,000 while general podiatrists make about $215,000, there are more general podiatrists so the average works out to about $225,000) would be making about $108/hour. Now, BLS bases the mean annual wage off a mean hourly wage of $65.47/hour, pretty well in between the $12/hour of a resident or the $108/hour. The resident situation could account for a good amount of the discrepancy, but certainly not all of it. And keep in mind that the resident situation doesn't factor in for the BLS dentist data, since that's what we were comparing earlier.

The fact that BLS doesn't count "self employed" podiatrists also may factor in. I'm not exactly sure what "self employed" means, but if it means business owners, the podiatrists who own practices and a larger percentage of which make millions/year, then that could also be bringing the BLS mean down quite a bit.

However, I'll stick with the MGMA survey (people seem to trust them), ACFAS survey, and other surveys from podiatry professional organizations since they generally come with a lot more data than what BLS shows and they are much more transparent with how they collect and combine their data. Besides that, if you look over in the podiatric residents and physicians thread there are people pretty fresh out of residency reporting $240,000 and $280,000 base salary contracts that they just signed. Counting their bonuses they could both break $300,000/year. If someone out of residency can get a job for more than double what the BLS says the mean is, that gives good cause to question BLS. What dyk343 and Ankle Breaker are reporting is more in line with the ACFAS survey and the MGMA survey.

Of course, their situation is not the norm, but it does show the kinds of salaries that a podiatrist can command as a young podiatrist at the beginning of a career, probably far from the peak salaries that they'll earn.

And it's not just the big time reconstructive ankle surgeries that make the cash, but the nail maintainance. Apparently it's 60$ for a full set of toe nail clippings, that's like more than 5$ per toe! Not beneath me, takes like 7 mins.

And a pod can bang out 5 nail evulsions (ingrown toenails) in an hour. I'm starting to think that it's in these minor procedures where the cash can be made.
Just to clarify what you're saying, I actually looked this morning on my Medicare LCD website and for CPT code 11721 (Debridement of mycotic nails) it pays around $40. And G0127 (Trimming of non-mycotic nails) pays like $20. And while it's true that you could do 5 matrixectomies in an hour, it just doesn't happen like that in the real world. But as you point out, you can certainly make decent money doing in-office procedures

Just to clarify what you're saying, I actually looked this morning on my Medicare LCD website and for CPT code 11721 (Debridement of mycotic nails) it pays around $40. And G0127 (Trimming of non-mycotic nails) pays like $20. And while it's true that you could do 5 matrixectomies in an hour, it just doesn't happen like that in the real world. But as you point out, you can certainly make decent money doing in-office procedures

Uh oh, the representatives at one of the schools I interviewed at said 60$ for clippings!

Uh oh, the representatives at one of the schools I interviewed at said 60$ for clippings!

They could be right. The $40 is for my area, it may be more where they're at. And if it's a service that is not covered by Medicare (the patient doesn't have class findings that would qualify them for nail debridement) then they could charge $60 for it if they wanted to. Or they may be just making stuff up and not really know what they're talking about. Happens on SDN sometimes too :)

The doc I shadowed was charging $60 cash.

I dunno, sounds like it's really just a plan B for you. If you were interested in it before why didn't you just apply to podiatry schools this past cycle as well? If that is the case then you shouldn't settle. There are plenty of practicing MDs and DOs who didn't get accepted their first or second cycle. Retake your MCAT, maybe do a Master's, then apply to DO schools. Taking an extra year or two to set up what you're gonna do for the rest of your life is the smart move, rather than settling just to save time.

If you really wanna do podiatry I know Temple is willing to interview people even after their seats are full and put them on a waitlist—even though I'm sure Temple and the other big schools still aren't full at this point. If you get on Temple's waitlist you may get lucky if someone else back's out. Otherwise, if you get on their waitlist this cycle you're guaranteed a seat next cycle. So if you're really interested, then don't waste any time and apply ASAP.

Yes, LOR is required for podiatry school.

Dont freak out, don't rush your decision, most med school applicants have taken a few years after undergrad to figure out applications and what they wanna do. Average pod student age in my class i believe was 26. I was 23 when I started and already took 2 years off to figure out applications. Shadow a podiatrist, make sure surgery is something you want to do, and if it is, make sure foot surgery is something you would like to do. If you have to miss this cycle then so be it, take some time to work, save up some money, do some meditation in the mountains and make sure you are doing what will make you the most happy. After the first year of pod school, many left because they decided it wasn't right for them. Some decided to do something else after the 2nd or 3rd year to do nursing or pharmacy school. I even know one who left after graduating to try dental school. Point is, figure it out now so you don't waste money figuring it out later.

I was one of those people that is using podiatry school as a backup. My interviewers actually asked that question of me, why I was applying to both Medical school and Podiatry school. I told them that I liked how much podiatry has to offer. I told them the truth, and I was accepted.

It is definitely a plan B for me and something I never really planned on considering. But I still get to interact with patients and diagnose, like an MD would. (on a smaller scale of course)

And the lifestyle as a podiatrist would be much better. They get paid less, but at least I would have the time to actually enjoy the money I make as a podiatrist.

I had a cousin who was in the same boat as me a few years back and is now in his last year of residency. He's happy with his decision.

The problem is, this was my gap year and I didn't get in. (still no interviews, so there's like a 1% chance at this point). So time is not on my side and plus my parents are getting pushy.

They want me to start a career, get married, and get settled down as soon as possible.

It is definitely a plan B for me and something I never really planned on considering. But I still get to interact with patients and diagnose, like an MD would. (on a smaller scale of course)

And the lifestyle as a podiatrist would be much better. They get paid less, but at least I would have the time to actually enjoy the money I make as a podiatrist.

I had a cousin who was in the same boat as me a few years back and is now in his last year of residency. He's happy with his decision.

The problem is, this was my gap year and I didn't get in. (still no interviews, so there's like a 1% chance at this point). So time is not on my side and plus my parents are getting pushy.

They want me to start a career, get married, and get settled down as soon as possible.

Your life not your parents.

Glad I checked this thread today cause I'm kind of in the same boat. Mom rushing marriage before I head off to pod school.

Point is: I know they care for you. It's their job. They didn't raise a talented boy for 20+ years only to see him sit at home. But it is YOU who will have to put that suit on every day and go to work. It is YOU who will have to take out the trash, feed your kids, mow your lawn, take the car in for an oil change.

If you like podiatry go for it. I genuinely hope you get in. If you feel you have another realistic shot at MD/DO, do whatever it takes. Not because podiatry is second rate, but because it is YOU who will have to wake up and do that job for the rest of your life. Not your mom and dad.

Your life not your parents.

Glad I checked this thread today cause I'm kind of in the same boat. Mom rushing marriage before I head off to pod school.

Point is: I know they care for you. It's their job. They didn't raise a talented boy for 20+ years only to see him sit at home. But it is YOU who will have to put that suit on every day and go to work. It is YOU who will have to take out the trash, feed your kids, mow your lawn, take the car in for an oil change.

If you like podiatry go for it. I genuinely hope you get in. If you feel you have another realistic shot at MD/DO, do whatever it takes. Not because podiatry is second rate, but because it is YOU who will have to wake up and do that job for the rest of your life. Not your mom and dad.
Thanks...the thing is DO schools are getting rid of grade replacement, which really lowers my chances for reapplying.

I could retake the MCAT, but the chances of me getting a 510 or so are slim. And even then, how good is a 3.2/510 really?

I do like podiatry, but I'm not 100% sure if I could do it for 20+ years just yet. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I didn't get in this cycle.

With podiatry schools, I actually feel like I am wanted with my stats. With med schools, I was pretty much a long shot everywhere.

Thanks...the thing is DO schools are getting rid of grade replacement, which really lowers my chances for reapplying.

I could retake the MCAT, but the chances of me getting a 510 or so are slim. And even then, how good is a 3.2/510 really?

I do like podiatry, but I'm not 100% sure if I could do it for 20+ years just yet. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I didn't get in this cycle.

With podiatry schools, I actually feel like I am wanted with my stats. With med schools, I was pretty much a long shot everywhere.

It took me about 2 months to reconcile podiatry vs medical school. In the end, u gotta swallow ur pride. Also, being a pod is a pretty good deal: little to no call, area of the body that doesn't poop or pee, ability to fix problems quickly, limited liability, etc.

Understandable.

If you have a realistic shot at podiatry (which you do) and don't absolutely hate it with every fiber in your body, go for it.

I know some people who switch professions without knowing anything about it and end up making the best decision of their lives.

I know some people who apply just for stats and end up hating it. Completely up to you. Take some time to recover, but don't be afraid of jumping when the time comes.

Understandable.

If you have a realistic shot at podiatry (which you do) and don't absolutely hate it with every fiber in your body, go for it.

I know some people who switch professions without knowing anything about it and end up making the best decision of their lives.

I know some people who apply just for stats and end up hating it. Completely up to you. Take some time to recover, but don't be afraid of jumping when the time comes.

Exactly. You might want to be a cardio surgeon but end up finding the podiatry lifestyle the best for what you want. It all depends on how much you actually want to work. A pod 9-5 schedule looks awesome once you become a parent.

Haven't applied yet.. but I am sure following this forum.. so do I really need to shadow a PO? How huge is the emphasis on shadowing? And can you join the army/navy after you are done with your residency?

Thanks @GypsyHummus @bobtheweazel

@5words

You only need to shadow a podiatrist enough to get a meaningful experience out of it since they will ask you why you wanna be a podiatrist at your interviews and may specifically ask about your shadowing experience. I shadowed 40 hours, some shadowed more, some less. There is no set hour requirement. It is however mandatory that you have a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist—presumably the one that you shadowed.

As far as the military thing, if your plan is to join the military then you might as well just try getting them to fund it for you up front—though there are not many spots for podiatrists each year. I'll link a couple of threads below. Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't fund podiatry school yourself and then join the military afterwards or even just work for them as a civilian. There are many options.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/army-navy-podiatry-100-tuition-covered-programs.677194/

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/navy-podiatrist.751488/

Dentist - $190,860

I saw a survey you posted a while back called the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Compensation and Benefits Survey. I was amazed by some of the numbers but I just wanted to clarify something with you. Are Foot and Ankle surgeons podiatrists with extra residency training because I thought all podiatrists were technically that?

I saw a survey you posted a while back called the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons Compensation and Benefits Survey. I was amazed by some of the numbers but I just wanted to clarify something with you. Are Foot and Ankle surgeons podiatrists with extra residency training because I thought all podiatrists were technically that?
Every residency will train you in medicine and surgery, I suppose for those surveys that make a differentiation between "surgical podiatrists" and "general podiatrists" it depends on how they practice. If you do like three surgeries a week you would probably fit better in the general podiatrist category, you know what I mean?

ACFAS is a surgical organization so I think it's safe to assume most of their members and therefore most of their survey respondents have a surgical slant to their practice.

Every residency will train you in medicine and surgery, I suppose for those surveys that make a differentiation between "surgical podiatrists" and "general podiatrists" it depends on how they practice. If you do like three surgeries a week you would probably fit better in the general podiatrist category, you know what I mean?

ACFAS is a surgical organization so I think it's safe to assume most of their members and therefore most of their survey respondents have a surgical slant to their practice.

I see. And how would someone become a remember of AFCAS exactly?