Med School as MMORPG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that med school and the application cycle is a bit like an MMO? You've got fetch quests (LORs), interesting side quests (research/volunteering), min-maxing stats, bosses (MCAT/GPA), and, if you get into a medical school, you get to go on raids!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
off topic but one of my interviewers asked what i do to de-stress and i immediately defaulted to gaming :yeahright:

damn it what if he's more of a traditional no games type guy

Reactions: 1 user
No, in MMORPG you get to win in the end if you did everything they asked you to do, but medical schools make you kill all the green mushrooms to collect the 200 green crystal shards then tell you the quest has failed . A MMORPG is not going to make any money off of that attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else think that med school and the application cycle is a bit like an MMO? You've got fetch quests (LORs), interesting side quests (research/volunteering), min-maxing stats, bosses (MCAT/GPA), and, if you get into a medical school, you get to go on raids!
I've kind of Leeroyed the whole thing myself

Reactions: 10 users
off topic but one of my interviewers asked what i do to de-stress and i immediately defaulted to gaming :yeahright:

damn it what if he's more of a traditional no games type guy
Yeah, I'd do that too. Idk, I would just be honest. If someone asked me, I would say let;s plays and sci-fi books, but that's just me.

Tbh I've learned a lot of my teamwork skills through video games but know that's not an appropriate answer :laugh:.
I used to be a raid leader and officer for 25-mans in my guild/clan/whathaveyou. I'd be lying if I said that the experience (heyoo) didn't teach me conflict resolution and leadership.

Reactions: 3 users
I've never played a video game that involved feelings of worthlessness.

I used to be a raid leader and officer for 25-mans in my guild/clan/whathaveyou. I'd be lying if I said that the experience (heyoo) didn't teach me conflict resolution and leadership.
Haha I got good at handling high stress-situations because of that game b/c of pve/pvp

... Have you played any MMO's? :laugh::laugh:
:rolleyes: Alright maybe not win "in the end", but MMOs allow you to win most of the time "before the end" if you do what they asked.

Life is a grind, mmos are a grind, med school is a grind. Just gotta hope you find some meaning in the grind.

Grind for that MD or grind for diamond elo, it's all the same. Just take a break every now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I miss my MMO fam. It's been years :(

Reactions: 2 users
I miss my MMO fam. It's been years :(
Yeah I should really call those guys and girls up. We all got together once and raided in one member's garage. It was a blast

Haha I got good at handling high stress-situations because of that game b/c of pve/pvp
Yeah pve can be a beast. Just being aware of timers/abilities/movement requirements and whatever mechanics also go with the fight can be incredibly stressful. If you're a healer, you've also got to make some pretty freaking quick decisions that could very well save or wipe your whole group. Throw being leader on top of that and narrating/calling out commands/decision-making and you've got one really really intense critical thinking exercise

Heh and overwatch is an excercise in sodium regulation

If you are a gamer, everything looks like a game, eventually. You've trained your brain to look for certain patterns and so it will find them, because that is what the engine of our consciousness does best.

I started gaming with old school tabletop RPGs, so I think of venturing out into my neighborhood as a miniquest, and imagine rolling dice and checking the random encounter table to determine which neighborhood denizen I'm likely to meet on my journeys. Yes! There's Methy McMethhead ranting up and down the back alley. Oh, there's Mother, the mad queer Russian Orthodox iconographer who always wants to stop and talk about which antiques he has purchased recently. Oh, botched that roll... there is the ex-roommate who you had to ask to leave because she was filming herself doing lewd things with the blinds open and the neighbors complained.

At least, those are the people on my random encounter table. Yours may vary.

If you are a gamer, everything looks like a game, eventually. You've trained your brain to look for certain patterns and so it will find them, because that is what the engine of our consciousness does best.

I started gaming with old school tabletop RPGs, so I think of venturing out into my neighborhood as a miniquest, and imagine rolling dice and checking the random encounter table to determine which neighborhood denizen I'm likely to meet on my journeys. Yes! There's Methy McMethhead ranting up and down the back alley. Oh, there's Mother, the mad queer Russian Orthodox iconographer who always wants to stop and talk about which antiques he has purchased recently. Oh, botched that roll... there is the ex-roommate who you had to ask to leave because she was filming herself doing lewd things with the blinds open and the neighbors complained.

At least, those are the people on my random encounter table. Yours may vary.
Eh, I lived in Portland Oregon for some time, so I'm very familiar.

Nontrads are the filthy casuals then huh?

ORMs are DPS mains

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nontrads are the filthy casuals then huh?

ORMs are DPS mains
If we're doing From soft games, than Nontrads are NG+... I agree with the ORM, though.

I don't play video games so I don't know if I should take offense to that or not (as a nontrad) lol.
It's new game plus... they started the game over with all of the stuff they collected before. I think it's actually pretty apt.

Reactions: 5 users
Have to say studying for the mcat and languishing in Elo hell were pretty similar experiences, psychologically. I also approached the test like a game to beat.

The game just wasn't any fun lol.

Reactions: 4 users
No

Have to say studying for the mcat and languishing in Elo hell were pretty similar experiences, psychologically. I also approached the test like a game to beat.

:rofl:

Life is a grind, mmos are a grind, med school is a grind. Just gotta hope you find some meaning in the grind.

Grind for that MD or grind for diamond elo, it's all the same. Just take a break every now and then.
I think I was high when I wrote this. What am I even saying...

The app cycle is basically the noob area. Mid-high level stuff is medical school. Endgame is resisency/fellowship.

This is actually a helpful way to look at all aspects of life. I read a great book called "Willpower: Discovering The Greatest Human Strength" and there was a part in there about how video games and their "do this and get this reward" structure is a marvelous way to get people to do stuff, even like tediously leveling up smithing to make some sweet armor or such. Video game makers are experts at designing effort/reward relationships. Bringing that mindset to real life application can really help you get a lot more done. I think the biggest hurdle, and the reason more people don't make this link, is that in real life the reward doesn't come nearly as quick, and of course it's not as fun.

This is a great analogy and you should try to live by it! Science proves it helps :)

I find the application (and subsequent actual med school) process to be much more comparable to a sick theatrical production of my slow descent into sociopathic pathology.

But then again, I've always been the hopeless cynic that began worrying about the likelihood of a Trump Administration as soon as he began saying racist things during the Republican primaries.

Well isn't that the whole point of Elo Hell?