Med school at the same place as undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Before going through the medical interview process, my first choice for med school was the same as my undergrad. But after going through the interview process I realized that I needed some change and didn't want to stay in the same place for four years. So I decided to go where I felt more comfortable, so far I am loving the med school that I chose. I think you should definitely wait till the interviews and get a feeling for the school and then make you decision. Don't be so focused on going to one school and give every school a chance.

RunMimi said:
I go to Duke and I used to be very excited about Duke med school. Recently, I've started really wanting a change of scenery and am considering not even submitting my secondary to Duke. Does anyone have experience with this type of decision? Any advice or suggestions?

I would submit the secondary so you will get a chance for interview. I have seen that you have great stats (I wish I could have those myself), and I have seen that you already have several interviews lined up. If I was in your position, I would take the interview opportunity at the other schools to see if you like them. Since you haven't been you don't know how other places will work out for you. I would imagine that you could easily get accepted at Duke as well. After the interview process, you may find Duke to be more suited to you. If you didn't send your secondary, you wouldn't have a shot there. You want to be happy at the med school you will attend. I would encourage you to submit it (yes I know it is long, I've seen it). Of course it is the way I would approach it, and if you decide not to that shouldn't be a problem (since you are a great candidate).

Best of luck with your application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat, and I have lived my entire life within 40 miles of Madison, or in Madison. It is always nice to be able to fall back on your home, but a change of scenery would be nice :thumbup:

just apply to duke. undergrads at some institutions have a better chance of getting acceptances from their med schools.

and the interview will cost you nothing to attend. no brainer. but you were going to apply anyway, probably, when it came down to it.

i would certainly interview at duke, if i were you. its pretty much in-line with the other schools you've applied to as far as strengths go, so why not?

i have the same dilemma, though. the med school at my ugrad is a small, public school that focuses on primary care, while most of the other schools i applied to are large, private schools that focus on research. totally different--but like a good little soldier, i will reserve judgement until after my interviews. ;)

i hope to have a similar problem... tho i think you should consider location pretty highly. i'm not applying to duke, but as someone who deals with seven months of snow each year in connecticut, duke sure sounds nice at times... so maybe i'd stay if i were you!

I think if Duke was ever one of your very top choices for med school you should send in the secondary. You may end up wanting to stay there and there's no harm in leaving your options open. I clearly remember feeling like I wanted a huge change of scenery at the very beginning of my senior year (I'm assuming you're just starting your senior year). And if you still feel that way when you are making the final decision on med schools, then by all means, go somewhere else.
Also remember that just making the transition from undergrad to med school will give you a change of scenery. Yes, you will still be in Durham, but the classes and surely the faces surrounding you will change.

If you're having second thoughts about their program and how well you would fit into it, then that's a different story...I'm probably withdrawing my application from my alma mater for those reasons.
I think the most important thing at this stage in the game is to decide which programs are the best fit for you and see where all the cards fall when the application process is over.
Best of luck...I'm sure you will end up at a great school, just make sure it's the one that will make you happiest! :luck:

I understand what you mean about needing a change of scenery. I really like the town in which I went to undergrad, but I wasn't really up for another four years there. Maybe later in life, but for now I'm ready to live somewhere else. If you're certain that you wouldn't choose Duke, then don't submit the secondary. If you're not sure, go ahead and submit it because you might change your mind in the end.

RunMimi said:
I go to Duke and I used to be very excited about Duke med school. Recently, I've started really wanting a change of scenery and am considering not even submitting my secondary to Duke. Does anyone have experience with this type of decision? Any advice or suggestions?

I am experiencing basically the exact same thing you are...I have been a UMich undergrad for the past 4 years, and although its a pretty good med school, I'm just not sure I wanna spend another 4 years in Ann Arbor. I decided to apply anyways for several reasons - it's close to home, which is nice, and also I have a good shot at getting accepted, which is also nice. So basically, unless you're pretty positive now that you aren't gonna wanna go to Duke, I'd finish applying just in case you change your mind!

i didn't even apply to my undergrad's med school! but then, from the beginning, i have never been impressed by brown med. perhaps if i went elsewhere, i'd have a different opinion. oh well, time for a new scene.

The campus of my undergrad and med school are in totally different geographic locations; therefore I can't say that, and i hope to apply to my undergrad school for med school.

RunMimi said:
You too? :p I think Duke Med is a great school, but I'm getting sick of Duke/Durham :sleep: . I need a change of scenery (I'll worry about that next year). However, if you've already started on your secondary, then by all means finish, submit, and see what happens. If you are to get accepted, then at least you're familiar with the area.

i'd still apply for sure. you can wait til after the interview to decide.

I kinda felt the same way about Duke last year. Then again, they cut me after interviews so I had no choice but to leave. But on the bright side, I have to say that leaving North Carolina has been a liberating experience (though I'm still terrified of winter) and I love it at my new school. My suggestion is to leave your options open during interviews - that's when you really get to learn about schools. See where you feel like you fit in - I felt like I fit into Duke undergrad, but the med school was way too high-stress for me. Hope this helps, and good luck!!!