kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm an in state resident at the college I go to right now, and I would also like to apply to the medical school here this spring. I realize that I have an advantage already because its one of my state schools, but does anyone know if adcoms give extra preference to someone who has also completed their undergrad at the same institution? Would getting LORs from profs that the adcom might know be better than say... an almost identical letter written for a student at a different institution?

Pewl

The Dude Abides
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
Hollywood Star Lanes
Status
Attending Physician
kdburton said:
I'm an in state resident at the college I go to right now, and I would also like to apply to the medical school here this spring. I realize that I have an advantage already because its one of my state schools, but does anyone know if adcoms give extra preference to someone who has also completed their undergrad at the same institution? Would getting LORs from profs that the adcom might know be better than say... an almost identical letter written for a student at a different institution?
Some schools favor their own undergrads. Some don't. Private schools tend to favor their own undergrads more. I'd kill to go to my undergrad school's med school (ucla) but somehow I don't think that's happening. Heh.

little_late_MD

Ready To Jump
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that my university does. I plan to do a master's there first as well, so maybe my advantage will be doubled!

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kdburton said:
I went to UAB for undergrad, and will be going to med school there in 2006. I know that the admissions people here have a good relationship with the pre-health advising people at the university. But that does not equate to preferential treatment. Many UAB students get into the medschool here, but then UAB prefers in-state applicants, and many kids in Alabama come to UAB for undergrad to take advantage of the science research opportunities (with getting into medschool on their mind). So it is hard to say if the egg came before the chicken or not.
I tend to think that (for state schools) a strong applicant is a strong applicant is a strong applicant, and whether or not you went to the same school won't be a deciding factor unless you are one of the applicants being considered late in the game (i.e., not a strong applicant). In the case of UAB, the med school's prestige is more or less independent of the reputation of the undergrad program, so there isn't much of an incentive for the med school to help out the undergrad recruiting efforts by favoring the locally produced candidates.