Med School books for non-medical people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some other threads floating around about good books for people who are about to start first year, but I want to get some recommendations on books that can explain medical school to non-medical people. (and I didn't want to hijack those other threads)

I'm sure we all have parents, friends, or others who are constantly wanting to know about what we are going through. Is there a good book or maybe even a website that can help to explain things to these people so that they can understand? I get a little tired of trying to explain things like what classes I take, how 3rd/4th year is different, what is Step 1 and why do I take it, what is a residency, how do you get into a residency, what do you do for loans???

I haven't read Iserson's book, but I was wondering if that might be a good overview. I'm not sure if it would be too detailed or over the heads of those who aren't familiar with the intricate details of the mysterious medical school world.

Any recommendations? Please save me from giving the same explanations over and over.

Members don't see this ad.

Intern Blues...but please hijack those threads. We keep telling them all the same thing, and they keep not listening!!

I have read Intern Blues and agree that it's a good one for outsiders to read to get an idea of what life is like when you're getting crapped on by the system.

What I was looking more for is something that can explain more practical things like how medical school works and what the process involves.

p.s. -- I think I might start recommending that those pre-allo people asking about what to read before starting school should definitely memorize every picture in Netter and read at least 3/4 of big Robbins. If not they will be so screwed. That ought to give them a nice scare. ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoyed A Not Entirely Benign Procedure, by Perri Klass--a collection of essays written during her first four years--but it's about 20 years old at this point and thus predates certain curriculum innovations...

I've thumbed through (but not read) White Coat, by Ellen Rothman--it's about four years at Harvard Med--maybe worth a look?

I also read a book called Gross Anatomy (not related to the awful 1980s movie!), about the experiences of one group of lab partners at NJMS--as the title suggests, this is about a single course (albeit the most distinctive one!)

As for websites, why not point people to tomorrowsdoctors.org (a division of the AAMC)?

Dunce said:
I have read Intern Blues and agree that it's a good one for outsiders to read to get an idea of what life is like when you're getting crapped on by the system.

What I was looking more for is something that can explain more practical things like how medical school works and what the process involves.

p.s. -- I think I might start recommending that those pre-allo people asking about what to read before starting school should definitely memorize every picture in Netter and read at least 3/4 of big Robbins. If not they will be so screwed. That ought to give them a nice scare. ;) :laugh: :laugh:

I like your thinking...

NY Musicologist said:
I've thumbed through (but not read) White Coat, by Ellen Rothman--it's about four years at Harvard Med--maybe worth a look?
Ellen Lerner Rothman's book is quite good - but she was quite young in medical school, and I think it shows in her writing. I really liked Danielle Ofri's "Singular Intimacies" - she is a terrific writer and she was able to write about complex/conflicting feelings with a lot of skill. Perri Klass is great, too.

I wish I could pick a good book of this genre for my mother. Mom is quite a bit older - 81 (I'm 44, so - no, it wasn't a Guinness book birth) and she has a very difficult time following everything I've tried to explain about how med school works. I'd like a book that reads fairly easily and is honest without being too honest.

I have just come to the conclusion that even though you tell your family over and over what the whole process of med school and then residency entails, unless they have went through it themselves, they'll never quite get it.

Before a big exam you'll be stressing out and you'll have a family member say something like, "You'll do great. You always do", as if it comes naturally, as if you don't have to work your ass off for it. Statements like that just put more pressure on you because what if you don't do great?!?

I have come to realize that the only family member who even remotely understands my predicament is my husband and that is just because he saw how much I studied in undergrad (not that much) and how crazily I study now (all the time).

Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School - Melvin Konner

Is an ok description of what medical school is like. They guy writes well, but comes off as a bit of a ...how do I say it gently?....pompous dick.