Med school Chances 3.3-3.5 GPA 38 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxw1997

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1500 hours of volunteering at a nonprofit clinic? That's a bit eyebrow-raising. I spend a lot of time at mine and I have 150.

Remember, high school volunteering should not be listed in AMCAS.

Upward trends are looked upon favorably.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all Texas schools. You'll be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
1500 hours of volunteering at a nonprofit clinic? That's a bit eyebrow-raising. I spend a lot of time at mine and I have 150.

Remember, high school volunteering should not be listed in AMCAS.

Upward trends are looked upon favorably.

Last edited:
OK, but make sure you have a letter from a volunteer supervisor who can attest to that. It sounds like someone who is exaggerating their hours (and lots of premeds do), but if they're real, that's a remarkable commitment to altruism.

The 1000 number sounds like what AMCAS is looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, but make sure you have a letter from a volunteer supervisor who can attest to that. It sounds like someone who is exaggerating their hours (and lots of premeds do), but if they're real, that's a remarkable commitment to altruism.

Last edited:
It may help a small bit unless he is on the adcom, in which case it will help more.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think adcoms care about hours in high school and AMCAS should really be for ECs from college and beyond.

I've seen @Catalystik say it's okay to list HS activities if it was continued throughout college.

Reactions: 2 users

I've seen @Catalystik say it's okay to list HS activities if it was continued throughout college.
yeah, I've been told by some of the adcoms on SDN that you can list volunteering from HS that you kept on doing throughout undergrad, as well

Reactions: 1 users
yeah, I've been told by some of the adcoms on SDN that you can list volunteering from HS that you kept on doing throughout undergrad, as well

Yea, I know an adcom in real life who confirmed this. Just be clear to what portion of the hours were in high school vs college. Having a letter will do a lot to clarify and lend credence to that (very impressive) impressive level of commitment. I don't know anything about the texas schools, but you're an awesome applicant and would be very competitive most places. Word to the wise though, don't focus on one med school, because the process is so unpredictable. You could be a perfect fit at school X and end up rejected but get accepted at school Y that seems completely out of left field.

Yep. Just don't pull a Metta World Peace when it comes to volunteering, OP

Reactions: 2 users
Medical schools don't care if your high school GPA was lower than average, similar to how universities don't care whether or not you got straight A's in middle school. You've got good stats and have got a good shot. Congratulations on your MCAT score. Good luck!

EDIT: Just re-read my post. The part about med schools not being concerned about your HS GPA is just what I've personally heard, so take it with a grain of salt! I could be wrong.

Medical schools don't care if your high school GPA was lower than average, similar to how universities don't care whether or not you got straight A's in middle school. You've got good stats and have got a good shot. Congratulations on your MCAT score. Good luck!

The issue is that they were classes taken at a college during high school years. He/she has a transcripts from "Some Local College University", and by AMCAS rules you've gotta submit them and they count into your GPA.

That said, your stellar UG performance, volunteerism, and earth shattering MCAT should more than compensate for the bad grades

The issue is that they were classes taken at a college during high school years. He/she has a transcripts from "Some Local College University", and by AMCAS rules you've gotta submit them and they count into your GPA.

My apologies, I completely overlooked that. One of the reasons why I did not do dual enrollment was because I was worried about getting low scores! I agree with you, the posters post HS performance SHOULD be able to compensate for the high school scores.

Why is it so unbelievable for pre-meds to have high volunteer hours? I personally have 600+ with an ED over 3 years (4hrs a week, one summer session 250 hours but only a one-time deal) and 300+ with a pediatric clinic over 4 years (2hrs a week minimum, no summer commitment required). When people say that "spend a lot of time" at wherever they volunteer and have less than 200, it's more eyebrow-raising, because how much time is "a lot of time"? With my ED program I'd fulfill those hours in 2 semesters. I guess that just doesn't seem like a lot of time to me.

I had a 3.4 and a 38 and such a strong trend that it shouldnt even be called a trend, I just turned it on, and I got wait listed last year. I had very little clinical experience. This year, I have 5 IIs, one at a top-25, because I got some ridiculously awesome clinical experience. It looks like you have decent shadowing...oh Texas resident?? stop me there, lol you are golden

Texas is the land of euphoria for the MD applicant

I had a similar situation to you, GPA wise. I had a high undergraduate GPA which was brought down a lot by dual-enrollment classes in HS. While my EC situation is different than yours, I still am sitting on lots of IIs this cycle.