Med School Chances/Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarbucksMD21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what my transcript look likes. Have I lost my chances for med school? I am a transfer student from CC and I just failed my midterms for this quarter. I'm honestly debating on switching career paths but nothing else would make me happy or satisfied for myself. I am not doing this for the fame or the money, it's just something I need to do for myself. I don't see myself doing anything else. I'm slowly going into depression and losing hope and I don't feel like talking to anyone or doing anything. Nothing makes me happy anymore.

INTRO TO BIOPSYCHOLOGY: A
SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY: A
HUMANITIES & MODERN EXPERIENCE: A
WORLD MUSIC:ROOTS TO CONTMP: A
CONTEMPORARY HEALTH CONCERNS: A
MAJOR SOCIAL PROBLEMS: A

Calc 1: C+
RESEARCH METHODS & DESIGNS: B
Pre-Calculus Algebra and Trig: C
Human Growth and Development: A

Gen Chem 1A/1B + Lab: C (the whole series)
Reading and Written Composition: A
General Psychology: C
Introduction to Sociology: A

Preparation for General Chem: A
Critical Thinking and Comp: A
Stats: A
Music of World Cultures: A

INTRO AS AM HISTORY: A-
Intro to Bio 1a: D
Intro to Bio 1a Lab: B-
Social Psych: A-

UPDATE: Still have my physic series, Organic Chem Series, Rest of the bio series and Upper divs left and I will be doing a post-bach program before applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So what are your current GPAs? Any chance you can pull yourself together and pass your classes this semester? What are you taking this semester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
So what are your current GPAs? Any chance you can pull yourself together and pass your classes this semester? What are you taking this semester?

Yes, It's still completely possible to pass my current classes with high C's or even low Bs. I'm even retaking the D in intro to bio next quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to use the following spreadsheet to calculate your overall and science GPAs and report back what you have

http://honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls

Also, looks like social sciences and humanities are your strong suit. That's good! Try majoring in the social sciences or humanities while completing the science prereqs on the side.

For the science courses, Khan Academy videos are your best friend.

Reactions: 2 users
Without your GPA, it's really hard to say but from what I'm seeing you didn't do so well in gen chem and bio. So is it over? Nah. Bio and gen chem are weed out classes so what you should do now is get back up and work harder than ever. You failed your midterms this semester? Work harder then. Don't give up. This is a marathon. Do your best and get the highest grades you can get this semester. Then work to do better in other prereqs like orgo and physics to prove your strong academically.

Without your GPA, it's really hard to say but from what I'm seeing you didn't do so well in gen chem and bio. So is it over? Nah. Bio and gen chem are weed out classes so what you should do now is get back up and work harder than ever. You failed your midterms this semester? Work harder then. Don't give up. This is a marathon. Do your best and get the highest grades you can get this semester. Then work to do better in other prereqs like orgo and physics to prove your strong academically.

Thank you for your advice :) You're right, you can't ever give up!

but nothing else would make me happy or satisfied for myself.

I highly doubt that's true.

Reactions: 1 users
Still plenty of time to turn things around.

But most importantly, depression is poorly managed on an anonymous message board. GET HELP NOW!!!!!

Here's what my transcript look likes. Have I lost my chances for med school? I am a transfer student from CC and I just failed my midterms for this quarter. I'm honestly debating on switching career paths but nothing else would make me happy or satisfied for myself. I am not doing this for the fame or the money, it's just something I need to do for myself. I don't see myself doing anything else. I'm slowly going into depression and losing hope and I don't feel like talking to anyone or doing anything. Nothing makes me happy anymore.

INTRO TO BIOPSYCHOLOGY: A
SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY: A
HUMANITIES & MODERN EXPERIENCE: A
WORLD MUSIC:ROOTS TO CONTMP: A
CONTEMPORARY HEALTH CONCERNS: A
MAJOR SOCIAL PROBLEMS: A

Calc 1: C+
RESEARCH METHODS & DESIGNS: B
Pre-Calculus Algebra and Trig: C
Human Growth and Development: A

Gen Chem 1A/1B + Lab: C (the whole series)
Reading and Written Composition: A
General Psychology: C
Introduction to Sociology: A

Preparation for General Chem: A
Critical Thinking and Comp: A
Stats: A
Music of World Cultures: A

INTRO AS AM HISTORY: A-
Intro to Bio 1a: D
Intro to Bio 1a Lab: B-
Social Psych: A-

UPDATE: Still have my physic series, Organic Chem Series, Rest of the bio series and Upper divs left and I will be doing a post-bach program before applying.

Reactions: 4 users
Feel free to use the following spreadsheet to calculate your overall and science GPAs and report back what you have

http://honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls

Also, looks like social sciences and humanities are your strong suit. That's good! Try majoring in the social sciences or humanities while completing the science prereqs on the side.

For the science courses, Khan Academy videos are your best friend.
Question about something. If we are plugging grades into that spreadsheet, what do we do if we retook a class? Still include two classes?

Yes! Every course taken or repeated is counted. So include everything!

@StarbucksMD21 just chiming in for support, you're by no means out of the running and as Goro said, get this under control now and take care of yourself. You can do it!

Just so you know C's in the gen chem series and a D in Bio 1 are going to put you at a serious disadvantage if you try to move into organic and Bio 2 (not sure if they even let you go into Bio 2 with a D in Bio1 though)... You're going to have a weaker grasp of the upper division classes and be even further behind your classmates that had A's because you failed to develop a solid foundation.

Orgo 1 has a lot of its roots in the last gen chem.

Reactions: 1 users
Just so you know C's in the gen chem series and a D in Bio 1 are going to put you at a serious disadvantage if you try to move into organic and Bio 2 (not sure if they even let you go into Bio 2 with a D in Bio1 though)... You're going to have a weaker grasp of the upper division classes and be even further behind your classmates that had A's because you failed to develop a solid foundation.

Orgo 1 has a lot of its roots in the last gen chem.
I agree with this 100%. I would suggest maybe retaking gen chem before moving on to orgo. C's are fine as far as earning your degree is concerned, but ochem will eat you alive if you don't understand the foundations of chemistry. I had two friends atempt ochem after earning C's in gen chem 1 and 2. Both failed ochem 1, and one of them ended up failing it twice. Not saying you're doomed to the same fate, but I can forsee you struggling a lot with ochem, and potentially missing out on med school as a result.

My best advice: don't rush anything. If med school is your dream, focus on putting your best foot forward at every step, no matter how long it takes you to climb the stairs.

Still plenty of time to turn things around.

But most importantly, depression is poorly managed on an anonymous message board. GET HELP NOW!!!!!

You're right...I need to get help...

I agree with this 100%. I would suggest maybe retaking gen chem before moving on to orgo. C's are fine as far as earning your degree is concerned, but ochem will eat you alive if you don't understand the foundations of chemistry. I had two friends atempt ochem after earning C's in gen chem 1 and 2. Both failed ochem 1, and one of them ended up failing it twice. Not saying you're doomed to the same fate, but I can forsee you struggling a lot with ochem, and potentially missing out on med school as a result.

My best advice: don't rush anything. If med school is your dream, focus on putting your best foot forward at every step, no matter how long it takes you to climb the stairs.

As I'm finishing up junior year, I only have one year left to complete O-chem and Physics and my upper divs, I'm not sure if I can afford to retake the entire gen-chem series again?

As of now, I'm repeating Bio Series along with taking Physics over the summer. Taking O-chem along with upper-divs senior year and then a post-bacc/along with taking MCATS.

I heard that it looks bad to take a 5th year? If I were to take a 5th year, I think I would want to retake the gen-chem series along with the bio series over my senior year and then physics and o-chem over my 5th year along with spreading upper-divs through the two years.

I took a 5th and 6th year. Gotta do what you gotta do.