Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I can't sugar coat this: you are in a world of hurt. You have displayed poor choice making not once, but twice (retaking a good score and then taking a high stake, career deciding exam while you were totally not ready for it due to your uncle's death.

Now on top of that, you have a disastrously low score that will keep you of to any med school.

Your only way out of this is your retake, and you had BETTER do than 30.

Then apply broadly to low tier MD and new schools and all DO schools. Beggars can't be choosy.

Your advisor is a f**ing idiot. The national median for MD acceptees is 3.7. The only state school I can see where a resident would be behind the 8-ball would be CA.

You're going to have to see how the app cycle shakes out. I definitely recommend reapplying next year if shut out this year, AND your 3rd score is a good one.

I took the mcat last summer and got a 30 after averaging 34+ on all the AAMCs.

I then proceeded to study for the retake through the semester and winter break but before my 2nd mcat, my uncle passed away the week before. My friends and parents still encouraged me to take it (I was not forced to take it) and due my backwards and emotional logic at the time, decided to go through with it. I ended up with a 21 even though I was averaging again 34+ on the AAMCs I took. ( Oh yeah, I think I was scared about the new MCAT at this point as well but mostly I was pretty down about losing my uncle so suddenly, Like you forget to realize that once someone passes away, they really really are gone...)

I know I know, I agree I screwed up by retaking that 30. My adviser told me my GPA (3.66 cGPA/ 3.63 sGPA) were too low for my state school or any MD school and highly recommend I get a 35 or higher in order to even have a realistic chance. (stayed away from getting advice on sdn because my professors and friends kept telling me how they have unrealistic standards)

I retook the mcat for the 3rd time (I know again, taking it more than once means I have very little hope of getting in) on August 6th and am waiting for my scores to come out in a couple of days.

My life goal was to become either an oncologist or cardiologist but at this time, things seem pretty bleak. When I went to get my letter packet back in early June, the head premed adviser took me to the side and told me I really need to consider another career change. (I have only had my amcas verified with one random school, I will be only applying based on my performance on this 3rd mcat)

Don't really know what to do at this point, thinking about bailing on this medical dream and waking up. Probably start studying for the LSAT at this point. I look forward to hearing your honest advice of my situation.

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I can't sugar coat this: you are in a world of hurt. You have displayed poor choice making not once, but twice (retaking a good score and then taking a high stake, career deciding exam while you were totally not ready for it due to your uncle's death.

Now on top of that, you have a disastrously low score that will keep you of to any med school.

Your only way out of this is your retake, and you had BETTER do than 30.

Then apply broadly to low tier MD and new schools and all DO schools. Beggars can't be choosy.

Your advisor is a f**ing idiot. The national median for MD acceptees is 3.7. The only state school I can see where a resident would be behind the 8-ball would be CA.

You're going to have to see how the app cycle shakes out. I definitely recommend reapplying next year if shut out this year, AND your 3rd score is a good one.

Thank you for your reply. I am not from California so I guess that could be a plus. Also, it is now really hitting me that I should have applied last year with that 30.

Lastly, I don't know much about DO but are they able to match into internal medicine and then get fellowships for fields like cardiology or oncology?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Yes. About 20% of my grads go into ACGME IM residencies. Some of the top programs will be off limits ("No dogs, Irish or DOs need apply" mindset), but get into a med school first, before obsessing about specialties, especially the more competitive ones.

The dean of one COM is a cardiologist, another is a rheumatologist. I need to make a list these things!

Thank you for your reply. I am not from California so I guess that could be a plus. Also, it is now really hitting me that I should have applied last year with that 30.

Lastly, I don't know much about DO but are they able to match into internal medicine and then get fellowships for fields like cardiology or oncology?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yes. About 20% of my grads go into ACGME IM residencies. Some of the top programs will be off limits ("No dogs, Irish or DOs need apply" mindset), but get into a med school first, before obsessing about specialties, especially the more competitive ones.

The dean of one COM is a cardiologist, another is a rheumatologist. I need to make a list these things!
I see, well then I guess I will continue and see what happens. Thank you again for your insight. Again, I really would like to do something in Internal Medicine but like you said, I will focus on getting in first.

Reactions: Goro
OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Sued for education malpractice, really.
I wish, but the department does not want to get rid of him because of what he has done for the premed department. In order to be officially have access to pre-med resources and have access to a committee letter at my Uni you need to have 3.8+ and you only get a letter if you score 30+ on the MCAT. He does not say this to everyone directly and I am simply going off what I hear from everyone else.

Then again, who am I to judge...

piii

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Regardless of your situation/scores, this is false.

"taking [the mcat] more than once means I have very little hope of getting in"

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Regardless of your situation/scores, this is false.

"taking [the mcat] more than once means I have very little hope of getting in"
It's false, but it certainly doesn't help. And it's a huge red flag if you retake it and get lower, especially if it's significantly lower.

Reactions: gyngyn and Goro
OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It's false, but it certainly doesn't help. And it's a huge red flag if you retake it and get lower, especially if it's significantly lower.
True stuff. Man, med school admission is tough business. I've always wondered if it's always been this competitive.

Well, I will continue to persevere and if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
If nothing else you've gained from this its
a) never listen to your pre-med adviser and anything they ever say again.
b) do not under any circumstances re-take the MCAT before you are 100% ready. Given the unfortunate sequence of recent events, you really need to make this attempt count. Because if this attempt fails, having 3 subpar scores on your record(if last month didn't go well) might just be a kiss of death.
c) Given this series of red flags while I don't think medicine is out of question by any means, you should definitely spend significant time researching DO programs. Because even if all goes well and you end up with a 512 or so on the 4th attempt, there is enough red flags that might make an MD acceptance hardly any kind of sure thing. You are more likely in this event even if the MCAT goes well on the 4th try to find success with DO programs.

For anybody reading this thinking of re-taking a 30-32 MCAT score in the future, I'll say this
a) IN the past month alone on this site I have seen some really unfortunate stories of people creating absolute nightmares for themselves that were entirely self inflicted by retaking a 30-32. All these people were perfectly competitive candidates who now have put themselves in a bind. There's this case. There is someone with a 3.7/32(9 on verbal) who retook got a 6 on the verbal the second time then re-took a 3rd time and got a 7 on verbal and 29 overall. There's another person who retook as a 3.9/30 and ended up with a 25 then on the 3rd attempt managed a 513 but a 6 equivalent on CARs. Someone else with a 3.85 went from a 33 to a 29.
b) It's incredibly foolish to ponder re-taking and not consider this chart
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/271680/data/retestertotalscorechange.pdf
23% of people who re-take 30-32's do worse on the 2nd attempt. This is a red flag right here entirely self inflicted. Another 13% do the same which only hurts their app. Another 28% only improve 1-2 points which does next to nothing for their app and honestly might even hurt it. So as you can see the majority of people who retake 30-32's do not help themselves. But even more foolish than ignoring this data and history is to assume you'll be that minority who just magically does better and is the exception "just because" and that since you made a couple stupid mistakes last time naturally on the retake you won't make any and everything will go exactly the same and you'll just score 3-4 points higher.
c) There are plenty of people who do poorly on the test and where bad luck plays a role, be it a noisy area to test in, a couple weird passages that happen to cover the 1-2 topics they simply didn't study, weird anxiety that just happened on the test for no reason etc. But it works the other way. There are MANY MANY people who get lucky on the MCAT. Many who have breaks that go there way. Who end up with a 32 when really their abilities are more of someone of a 30. Who magically get 14's on a subsection when they really have no difference in knowledge or skill from those who got 11's that day. The fact that this gets ignored, that we all assume we are the unlucky ones instead of the lucky ones, is one of the biggest mistakes we make. Sometimes we just have to let go and say even if we felt we could do better than a 31-32, that maybe there was good fortune involved just to get that 31-32. Sometimes we just have to let it go and call it a good effort and leave it at that.

I say all this not to demean the OP. The OP as much as anything suffered from unfortunate family events and embarrassingly painfully awful advice from a professionals who sole job is to advice people like him/her on how to get into medical school and said things that a simple 5 minute scan of MSAR would quickly invalidate. That is unfortunate luck. I say this simply because the number of people I've seen who retake perfectly fine scores(and done worse on the retake) just because of some hunch or feel they can do better or the inability to let go of their compulsion to get a top score when what they have is fine recently is something that just should not happen the way it does. These self-inflicted wounds are the worst type and ones that simply need to be addressed in greater detail and deeper analysis than they are usually recognized.

So good luck to the OP. IF nothing else just remember how much the cliche its a marathon not a sprint applies here; med school ain't going anywhere and neither is that hideous MCAT. Take it one final time when you are 100% ready and give it your best shot and whatever happens do so without regrets.

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
b) do not under any circumstances re-take the MCAT before you are 100% ready. Given the unfortunate sequence of recent events, you really need to make this attempt count. Because if this attempt fails, having 3 subpar scores on your record(if last month didn't go well) might just be a kiss of death.
c) Given this series of red flags while I don't think medicine is out of question by any means, you should definitely spend significant time researching DO programs. Because even if all goes well and you end up with a 512 or so on the 4th attempt, there is enough red flags that might make an MD acceptance hardly any kind of sure thing. You are more likely in this event even if the MCAT goes well on the 4th try to find success with DO programs.

For anybody reading this thinking of re-taking a 30-32 MCAT score in the future, I'll say this
a) IN the past month alone on this site I have seen some really unfortunate stories of people creating absolute nightmares for themselves that were entirely self inflicted by retaking a 30-32. All these people were perfectly competitive candidates who now have put themselves in a bind. There's this case. There is someone with a 3.7/32(9 on verbal) who retook got a 6 on the verbal the second time then re-took a 3rd time and got a 7 on verbal and 29 overall. There's another person who retook as a 3.9/30 and ended up with a 25 then on the 3rd attempt managed a 513 but a 6 equivalent on CARs. Someone else with a 3.85 went from a 33 to a 29.
23% of people who re-take 30-32's do worse on the 2nd attempt. This is a red flag right here entirely self inflicted. Another 13% do the same which only hurts their app. Another 28% only improve 1-2 points which does next to nothing for their app and honestly might even hurt it. So as you can see the majority of people who retake 30-32's do not help themselves. But even more foolish than ignoring this data and history is to assume you'll be that minority who just magically does better and is the exception "just because" and that since you made a couple stupid mistakes last time naturally on the retake you won't make any and everything will go exactly the same and you'll just score 3-4 points higher.
c) There are plenty of people who do poorly on the test and where bad luck plays a role, be it a noisy area to test in, a couple weird passages that happen to cover the 1-2 topics they simply didn't study, weird anxiety that just happened on the test for no reason etc. But it works the other way. There are MANY MANY people who get lucky on the MCAT. Many who have breaks that go there way. Who end up with a 32 when really their abilities are more of someone of a 30. Who magically get 14's on a subsection when they really have no difference in knowledge or skill from those who got 11's that day. The fact that this gets ignored, that we all assume we are the unlucky ones instead of the lucky ones, is one of the biggest mistakes we make. Sometimes we just have to let go and say even if we felt we could do better than a 31-32, that maybe there was good fortune involved just to get that 31-32. Sometimes we just have to let it go and call it a good effort and leave it at that.

I say all this not to demean the OP. The OP as much as anything suffered from unfortunate family events and embarrassingly painfully awful advice from a professionals who sole job is to advice people like him/her on how to get into medical school and said things that a simple 5 minute scan of MSAR would quickly invalidate. That is unfortunate luck. I say this simply because the number of people I've seen who retake perfectly fine scores(and done worse on the retake) just because of some hunch or feel they can do better or the inability to let go of their compulsion to get a top score when what they have is fine recently is something that just should not happen the way it does. These self-inflicted wounds are the worst type and ones that simply need to be addressed in greater detail and deeper analysis than they are usually recognized.

So good luck to the OP. IF nothing else just remember how much the cliche its a marathon not a sprint applies here; med school ain't going anywhere and neither is that hideous MCAT. Take it one final time when you are 100% ready and give it your best shot and whatever happens do so without regrets.

Thank you for your advice. I hope this third attempt went well for me. I hope more people learn from my mistake, because I would never want others to go through this.

Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
The South
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
[QUOTE="GrapesofRath, post: 16876722, member: 689012"

23% of people who re-take 30-32's do worse on the 2nd attempt. This is a red flag right here entirely self inflicted. Another 13% do the same which only hurts their app. Another 28% only improve 1-2 points which does next to nothing for their app and honestly might even hurt it.[/QUOTE]

Repeating a score of 30 shouldn't hurt their app. gyngyn has stated that a poor MCAT followed by a good one (say 27 -> 35) is not as impressive as a single score of 35. Furthermore, the logic on SDN is often that multiple MCAT scores should be averaged: (27 + 35)/2 = 31. If you retake a 30 and get a second 30, your average is still 30. All it will do is reinforce the notion that the person is testing at a 30 level and the score is accurate.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
[QUOTE="GrapesofRath, post: 16876722, member: 689012"

23% of people who re-take 30-32's do worse on the 2nd attempt. This is a red flag right here entirely self inflicted. Another 13% do the same which only hurts their app. Another 28% only improve 1-2 points which does next to nothing for their app and honestly might even hurt it.
Gyngyn has also stated several times re-taking and getting the same score is a negative on your app. How much is up for debate and obviously a 31 repeated to a 31 is alot better than a 31 repeated to a 28, but it sure isn't a positive thats for sure. The goal really has to be to do significantly better on the retake. A 30 repeated to a 30 doesn't really confirm the 30 is the right score. The expectation is someone who repeats will do better. Those who don't aren't helping themselves at all.

Gotta look past the numerical values and what averages calculate out to. That's the point he always makes; you open yourself up to interpretation with multiple scores and two 30's in a row isn't the same as just one 30 in how it will be interpreted at a number of schools

Edit: It's not just retaking and doing the same that is negative. He had a good quote about this last month for those who retake and actually improve a little.

"Even when there is a marginal improvement it has a chilling effect on the evaluation". Have at that as you will

Last edited:

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
It's very unfortunate for you that you have an advisor that told you a 3.6 was too low for your state schools when you have 3 schools in your state with 10th %iles less than 3.4 and 3 schools with MCAT averages below a 31. In addition to that, there are plenty of private schools in the country where you'd have a decent shot at with those stats.

It's also funny that your advisors/professors told you to stay away from SDN because of the unrealistic expectations, but then your advisor told you that you need a 35 MCAT.

Alas, that's water under the bridge. I would apply to DO schools if I were you. Do your research on them. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find out. And check back in when you get your score back! There are a lot of people on these forums that can give you good advice!

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It's very unfortunate for you that you have an advisor that told you a 3.6 was too low for your state schools when you have 3 schools in your state with 10th %iles less than 3.4 and 3 schools with MCAT averages below a 31. In addition to that, there are plenty of private schools in the country where you'd have a decent shot at with those stats.

It's also funny that your advisors/professors told you to stay away from SDN because of the unrealistic expectations, but then your advisor told you that you need a 35 MCAT.

Alas, that's water under the bridge. I would apply to DO schools if I were you. Do your research on them. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find out. And check back in when you get your score back! There are a lot of people on these forums that can give you good advice!
I am hoping MD is not out of the picture completely, but I must be realistic and will definitely look into DO programs.

futuremdforme

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2013
Status
Non-Student
How do you think you did in the Aug 6 MCAT?

I know what it's like for friends and family to push you to do something you're not ready for. Med school is a bit different than other careers, where "might as well give it a shot" generally applies. I've learned to ignore their advice because they have no idea what they are talking about. (It won't stop, by the way.)

Sorry about your uncle and the situation. I think what to do next will be heavily based on your recent score. I hope you were sufficiently prepared.

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So much depends on your new MCAT. If you could check into suing your advisor you need to do that first.
Honestly, his/her advisor sucks, but OP was a few google searches away from avoiding all of this. It's always important to do your own research when taking actions that determine the rest of your career.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Oh I agree completely! It's always our own responsibility to protect what we have worked for.
OP when will you get your scores? Have you gotten percentiles for each section? Are you attempting to apply this cycle?

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh I agree completely! It's always our own responsibility to protect what we have worked for.
OP when will you get your scores? Have you gotten percentiles for each section? Are you attempting to apply this cycle?
I will know on Tuesday...The wait is killing me =(

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So how did it turn out?
Ahhh yess.. Well I think God just played a cruel joke on me....

I got:
130 C/P
121 CARS
129 B/B
129 P/S

509 in total...So...yeah... Gotta retake... sigh... or not, I dunno...

Going back to my white collar job next week since my leave just expired so I'll just see what's next...

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Though my youngest brother in med school told me I should study for it again, try to break into the 510+ range since that verbal has alot of room for improvement...

Also told me I should consider forgiving this cycle since my retakes are kinda bad if I decide to go through with secondaries now.

So dunno what's next for me =/

I would like some insight. Give me your love and hate sdn!!!

Also kinda buzzed right now since I reached the bottom of a couple of bottles.

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I think you could still have a shot at DO schools and maybe the newest MD schools. Do your research and see which schools only look at the most recent MCAT score.

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think you could still have a shot at DO schools and maybe the newest MD schools. Do your research and see which schools only look at the most recent MCAT score.

You think I should go ahead and start filling out secondaries?

I also, did not fill out the DO primaries yet or have a DO rec letter on hand.

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You think I should go ahead and start filling out secondaries?

I also, did not fill out the DO primaries yet or have a DO rec letter on hand.
Not all schools require a DO letter. Assuming you have good ECs and LORs, I think you would be fine applying to the ones that only look at the most recent score.

You could also skip this cycle, get some experience shadowing DOs, or maybe even work with one and beef up your ECs to make yourself a more competitive candidate. I'm not sure a 4th MCAT would really help you unless you significantly increased your score, but how likely is that?

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I haven't been around med school admissions long enough to be an expert. I would be curious to see what @Goro thinks of your situation.

OP
LastWinter

LastWinter

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Not all schools require a DO letter. Assuming you have good ECs and LORs, I think you would be fine applying to the ones that only look at the most recent score.

You could also skip this cycle, get some experience shadowing DOs, or maybe even work with one and beef up your ECs to make yourself a more competitive candidate. I'm not sure a 4th MCAT would really help you unless you significantly increased your score, but how likely is that?

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I haven't been around med school admissions long enough to be an expert. I would be curious to see what @Goro thinks of your situation.

Ahh true thing, man I feel so shafted by CARS... I got 75% on the practice AAMC for it but, I mean I thought I did decent.

Shadowing a DO would help my app, but am I too late for the DO cycle?

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
That 121 is tough for MDs...along with the 21 on the old MCAT. Your other subsections are great though, so there is a silver lining. I believe you would have been competitive at Morehouse, Mercer and MCG with that 30/3.6! (nothing you can do about that now, look forward). Look into PCOM-GA, shadow a DO (though not required, will definitely boost your app) and apply broadly to DO programs if you really want medicine.

Last edited:

iforget2

7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student

What's crazy are the people who were in the 39-45 range and decided to retake

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
What's crazy are the people who were in the 39-45 range and decided to retake
Even crazier are the 5-14 MCATs that matriculate to medical school. Wonder what kind of insane story, ECs, etc they must've had.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Even crazier are the 5-14 MCATs that matriculate to medical school. Wonder what kind of insane story, ECs, etc they must've had.
There are all kinds of connections that can exist. What to me is more interesting is that the majority of these 2.0/19 type students end up graduating MD schools within 5 years and doing good enough. Hell, bump it up to say 2.6/23 and statistically the vast majority of these students graduate MD schools within 5 years.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
There are all kinds of connections that can exist. What to me is more interesting is that the majority of these 2.0/19 type students end up graduating MD schools within 5 years and doing good enough. Hell, bump it up to say 2.6/23 and statistically the vast majority of these students graduate MD schools within 5 years.
Brings into question the emphasis on the MCAT if we're looking at medical school success and STEP passing on 1st try. AAMC document shows 27-29 MCATs with a 4 yr graduation rate of 87% vs. 89% (30-32), 88% (33-35), 86% (36-38), and 86% (39-45). Additionally, in terms of STEP, 93% of MCATs 27-29 pass STEP on first try vs. 96% (30-32), 98% (33-35), 99% (36-38), and 99% (39-45). Essentially, the 4 yr graduation rate is pretty equal >27 MCAT, while the difference in step passing on 1st try is ~6% from 27-29 vs. 36+. So while the MCAT is predictive of medical school success and STEP passing on 1st try, it may be deemphasized once you reach 27> threshold. Obviously, the increase in percentage (albeit, slight) on STEP passing on 1st try could explain why adcoms prefer higher scores, but I surmise the higher scores may just be more attractive on face value. It's difficult to draw significant conclusions without a correlation being made for MCAT vs STEP score (not just passing rate), though that data doesn't seem to exist (or is extremely difficult to compile).

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
on a site note, how's this cycle going OP? Getting any love with those retakes?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Ahhh yess.. Well I think God just played a cruel joke on me....

I got:
130 C/P
121 CARS
129 B/B
129 P/S

509 in total...So...yeah... Gotta retake... sigh... or not, I dunno...

Going back to my white collar job next week since my leave just expired so I'll just see what's next...
The CARS translates to around a 4-5 on the old verbal scale. That is not close to enough for MD's. I really don't know enough about DO's to say how your MCAT track record and that 4-5 on verbal will be looked at and if some of the newer DO programs are realistic.