Med school chances? Good Postbac programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone new to the boards.....I graduated from UCSD in Biochem with a 3.05 GPA,overall Science 2.90 (community college screw up), MCAT 28, MPH from Loma linda 3.60GPA.......I was wondering what my chances were.......I have about 4 years of volunteer work,community work, and research under my belt.......I was thinking about doing a postbac program to help my chances ......any help would be great.........thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you are in california, i think that you are just an average, that is my opnion. If you apply some out state, you might a greater chance.

in california, it is almost 10 students for one spot.

Wow its great to know im average........I was wondering what are some good schools to apply to that accept people with lower GPA's??????

Members don't see this ad :)
well, for that question, you will have to do some research on your own. You can check out those books on the average gpa, mcat scores from diff. med. schools, etc, etc.

everyone is diff.

by the way, I got my MPH from llu, too. but it didn't help me getting into med. school.

you already have a master so why do another post bac thing that earns you a masters? i suggest applying to CA schools along with some not so competitive medical schools with some competitive medical schools sprinkled in (ie. like finch health sciences, albany med, nymc, mcp hanhemann, some schools in vermont i heard etc.). if you don't get in...then some medical schools will offer you the chance to apply for their post bac programs (ie. georgetown and finch...at finch if you do the masters in applied physiology and do well then you pretty much have a ticket into their medical school). so try first and then do the post bac thing. hope that helps.

If anyone has done the Finch or other programs (Postbac).....could you please give your feedback on the programs......thanks

Originally posted by 44:
•Hi everyone new to the boards.....I graduated from UCSD in Biochem with a 3.05 GPA,overall Science 2.90 (community college screw up), MCAT 28, MPH from Loma linda 3.60GPA.......I was wondering what my chances were.......I have about 4 years of volunteer work,community work, and research under my belt.......I was thinking about doing a postbac program to help my chances ......any help would be great.........thanks•••

44 - You are not an average applicant in CA. Unfortunately, CA applicants usually need to have much higher GPAs and MCAT scores to gain admission to medical school -- especially if you wish to remain in CA. I think doing a post-bacc and retaking the MCAT would be worth considering. The 2.9 UGrad GPA is going to be the main thing that holds you back. The GPA you received from your MPH program will not be weighed very heavily in any decision to grant interviews or acceptances. Post-bacc programs to consider would be the one at MCPHU, Harvard, Columbia, BU, and Tufts (I think). <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00007200" target="_blank">Daveshnave</a> had a lot of positive things to say about the post-bacc program at MCPHU and he was a UCSD graduate as well. Another member, <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00010873" target="_blank">nypostbac</a>, is currently in the IMS program at MCPHU and has offered to answer questions about post-bacc programs.