Med school classes transfer back to UG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McPhee

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that medical school courses are considered to be at the undergraduate level. So, I wonder if some UG institutions accept transfer credit from medical schools. I think BS/MD programs work along these lines. Also, my sister's UG school said her pharm school classes will transfer back and go toward a bachelor's. (The pharm route is typically 2 + 4 w/ no bachelor's.)

I ask because when I finish UG I will be close to a second bachelor's in bio and I'm wondering if any med school classes will transfer back. This assumes I am accepted into medical school. A lof of people have said that nobody cares what your UG degree is in, but just for the sake of convenience, and also because I'm so close, I want the bio degree. I would simply add in the extra courses over the next academic terms but my schedule is packed already.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that medical school courses are considered to be at the undergraduate level. So, I wonder if some UG institutions accept transfer credit from medical schools. I think BS/MD programs work along these lines. Also, my sister's UG school said her pharm school classes will transfer back and go toward a bachelor's. (The pharm route is typically 2 + 4 w/ no bachelor's.)

I ask because when I finish UG I will be close to a second bachelor's in bio and I'm wondering if any med school classes will transfer back. This assumes I am accepted into medical school. A lof of people have said that nobody cares what your UG degree is in, but just for the sake of convenience, and also because I'm so close, I want the bio degree. I would simply add in the extra courses over the next academic terms but my schedule is packed already.

Thank you!

That would be very tricky and would depend on the individual university that you were attending for medical school. It is very doubtful in my mind, however. It used to be more common when schools took a lot of students without degrees. My dad, for example, went to med school halfway through college and was allowed to be granted a BS via what you are describing. There really isn't any value in doing it if you are already in med school and have a BS though. You should also make sure that you are actually getting a second BS, rather than just a BS in two majors. This is also university specific. Either way it doesn't matter in the long run, the content is what is important not the number of majors you had.

That would be very tricky and would depend on the individual university that you were attending for medical school. It is very doubtful in my mind, however. It used to be more common when schools took a lot of students without degrees. My dad, for example, went to med school halfway through college and was allowed to be granted a BS via what you are describing. There really isn't any value in doing it if you are already in med school and have a BS though. You should also make sure that you are actually getting a second BS, rather than just a BS in two majors. This is also university specific. Either way it doesn't matter in the long run, the content is what is important not the number of majors you had.

Thank you for your input. My motivation is mostly superficial (I want to fit in with all the other bio majors). Also, I have paid for and completed the courses so it feels like I'm cheating myself. I hear what you're saying about it being tricky; in fact, it would be pretty much impossible to plan this out since I don't know where, or even if, I'll be accepted.

I'm guessing UG summer courses between M1 and M2 would be ill advised? At this point I will minor in biology and call it good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input. My motivation is mostly superficial (I want to fit in with all the other bio majors). Also, I have paid for and completed the courses so it feels like I'm cheating myself. I hear what you're saying about it being tricky; in fact, it would be pretty much impossible to plan this out since I don't know where, or even if, I'll be accepted.

I'm guessing UG summer courses between M1 and M2 would be ill advised? At this point I will minor in biology and call it good.

No one will care about your major, so forget about wanting to "fit in". You would be wasting valuable free time and research time if you take classes over the summer toward a completely pointless BS degree. If your desire for a degree you will never mention in your professional life is worth the time you could spend improving your future residency applications, by all means complete the bio degree. Otherwise, there really is no point. If you really want it anyway, it would be best to wait another year to apply, and complete the degree then.

Status
Not open for further replies.