Med School classmates finishing residency, but I'm going on and on....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else feeling like they should have made a different specialty choice in recent months? Tons of my med school classmates are finishing, getting fellowships and finally getting on with things, but I'm still plugging along in a residency that goes on forever!!! I like my field. I like my work, but it makes me feel antsy

Members don't see this ad.

If you're slugging behind on your residency, I highly believe that your current specialty isn't the right fit for you. Just giving my opinion.

If you're slugging behind on your residency, I highly believe that your current specialty isn't the right fit for you. Just giving my opinion.

Ved, respectfully, please limit your posts to the hSDN forum as previously requested. You should not be offering your opinion on specialty selection to anyone. You are still in high school.

The OP isn’t behind in his residency. He is in a residency that is longer than other specialties.

To the OP, I’m with you. I’m a PGY8, finally in my fellowship. Most of my classmates have finished and have been attendings for a few years at this point. It sucks, but stick it out. If you like what you do, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 28 users
Ved, respectfully, please limit your posts to the hSDN forum as previously requested. You should not be offering your opinion on specialty selection to anyone. You are still in high school.

The OP isn’t behind in his residency. He is in a residency that is longer than other specialties.

To the OP, I’m with you. I’m a PGY8, finally in my fellowship. Most of my classmates have finished and have been attendings for a few years at this point. It sucks, but stick it out. If you like what you do, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Agree 100% - all the short residencies are basically primary care and EM - which sucks. Its basically a blue collar job considering all the paperwork and scutwork they deal with. They are envious of YOU.

Reactions: 1 users
all the short residencies are basically primary care and EM - which sucks. Its basically a blue collar job considering all the paperwork and scutwork they deal with. They are envious of YOU.
LOLWUT.jpg

I also wish OP well. That said, I sure as hell wouldn't trade my EM job for a different specialty, regardless of the one offered.

Reactions: 14 users
LOLWUT.jpg

I also wish OP well. That said, I sure as hell wouldn't trade my EM job for a different specialty, regardless of the one offered.

Yes - You will be envious of me!

Fast forward to 2040 - I will be at the prime of my career, widely respected consultant on neurological disease - working my own comfortable schedule. You will likely be a miserable, burnt out, and overall very ill EM doc due to all the "trench warfare" you fight at odd hours with total circadian disruption.

Fast forward to 2040 - I will be at the prime of my career, widely respected consultant on neurological disease - working my own comfortable schedule. You will likely be a miserable, burnt out, and overall very ill EM doc due to all the "trench warfare" you fight at odd hours with total circadian disruption.
LOLWUT.jpg

This really made my day. Thanks for that.

Reactions: 12 users

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Whooooo I needed a good laugh. Not even in EM and this is hilarious. Thanks!

#sarcasm

Reactions: 5 users
Agree 100% - all the short residencies are basically primary care and EM - which sucks. Its basically a blue collar job considering all the paperwork and scutwork they deal with. They are envious of YOU.

Umm, please don’t include me in your attempt at a specialty flame war by “agreeing” with me like that. Personally I’m glad that there are people who love and thrive in specialties I didn’t want, so that I can focus on what I do want to do. I never understood the utility of undercutting other specialties. I want there to be great/enthusiastic pediatricians, family docs, nephrologists, EM docs, etc. so when my family or I need them they are there. Just like EM docs are glad I chose vascular surgery when a rupture or cold leg comes in. We all have our part to play. GTFO with this envy nonsense.

Reactions: 30 users
Anybody else feeling like they should have made a different specialty choice in recent months? Tons of my med school classmates are finishing, getting fellowships and finally getting on with things, but I'm still plugging along in a residency that goes on forever!!! I like my field. I like my work, but it makes me feel antsy

This is normal.
I did a 4 year residency and 3 year fellowship and was dying by the end of pgy6. I know i didn't know everything but at a certain point you have to be cut loose and practice on your own in order to get better.

Use the latter part of your training to fine tune things and get a sense of how you want things done like equipment and room set up etc.

I started making a Google doc file of common things like how I want the room set up for a robotic case etc. Getting certain attending case lists so I could recreate it when out in practice etc.

Reactions: 1 users
People who were my cointerns on day one are now my attendings. I have attendings who have been a doctor for less time than I have. Long residencies definitely generate a weird dynamic.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my residency for any other. Hopefully you feel the same.

Reactions: 3 users
People who were my cointerns on day one are now my attendings. I have attendings who have been a doctor for less time than I have. Long residencies definitely generate a weird dynamic.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my residency for any other. Hopefully you feel the same.
Honestly, fellowship is busier, but so much better than residency in nearly every way. I finally feel like I'm actually getting good at something so maybe I'll be done at pgy6 or maybe I'll be up for pgy7/8. Either way fellowship is awesome. I see my classmates enjoying the free time, but after 11 years of post high school education why stop 3-5 years from achieving your ultimate goals?

Besides, time flies when you love what you do...

I'm sure I'll have a second thought or two next year as my institution just hired three of my old interns. Lol, I look forward to getting their consults...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, part of anxious feeling is deciding on fellowships. Where and exactly which specialty. Love my work. Love the lifestyle I expect to enjoy at the end, but the end seems a long way away

One high school student suggesting you chose the wrong residency, and one med student who posts drivel like this. Well, OP, I guess you got your comic relief for the thread.

Reactions: 20 users

Roflcopterz.

Yeah, I totally abhor having 2/3 of the month off, having near complete control of my schedule, going on fancy vacations multiple times a year, and making 2x the hourly money most specialities make.

But, yes, fast forward to 2040, I will be nearing retirement, sitting on a beach someplace, sipping a cocktail.

Reactions: 7 users
Use the latter part of your training to fine tune things and get a sense of how you want things done like equipment and room set up etc.

I started making a Google doc file of common things like how I want the room set up for a robotic case etc. Getting certain attending case lists so I could recreate it when out in practice etc.
From the staff side of things, after working in a clinic for a few years, I definitely second this if you have a good idea of what you need/like- We had an doc straight out of fellowship send us detailed but succinct guidelines before he started doing clinic days. Knowing his scheduling preferences, injection amounts, room setups, etc was SUPER helpful for us on the staff end, and his clinics got off to a very smooth start because the info was sent ahead.