Med school clothing...??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school in August and I know everyone is casually dressed for lectures etc., but what about orientation week? In that move Gross Anatomy everyone but Matthew Modine wore suits to orientation. Does everyone dress up like at the interviews the first day, or are jeans & tee (or shorts) okay? I'm going to MCW....I don't want to go looking out of place. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Normal clothes are fine unless there's some special tradition of "dress-up" at MCW.

C

I'd say it depends on the school. At my school, people wear jeans, shorts, khakis, etc. You want to be comfortable because it's a lot of boring stuff and running around getting IDs made, etc.

Hopefully someone from MCW will post and tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I showed up at orientation not really knowing what to expect, so I wore khaki's and a Polo shirt. Boy was I suprised how overdressed I was compared to everyone else. It looked like everyone was wearing shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I felt really conspicuous the first day of orientation.

Depends on the school, if there is some required way to dress, normally they specify it. If there's some question, maybe try a dressed up casual first, such as khaki's and a polo shirt, and then dress down afterwards as you see fit. Here in Texas, most of the schools are very casual. I usually just wear cargos and a tee most days. Same was true for orientation week.

just ask a current student at the school. I think i wore adidas sweatpants half the time during orientation :laugh:

orientation (aside from the white coat ceremony) was really chill. lots of jeans, t-shirts, flip-flops. kind of set the tone for the rest of the year.

DrBravesgirl said:
orientation (aside from the white coat ceremony) was really chill. lots of jeans, t-shirts, flip-flops. kind of set the tone for the rest of the year.
yeah, it set the tone for me too...I skipped a bunch of it :p

no clothes, just skin.

Shorts, sandals, and t-shirt. And sun glasses for the hang over.

Thank god! Now I can wear my shorts & tanks. :)

Like everyone said it depends on the school. I think at Mayo it may be somewhat different...I will find out soon enough.

It would be a good idea to see if they'll be taking your picture. At my orientation they took everyone's pic for a class roster. You might want to look somewhat decent if the pic is going to follow you around for four years

suit?? ha!! i rarely wore pants!

wore joggers and a t shirt orientation day(s).

after that, i dressed down to pajamas/scrubs and a tshirt almost everyday. I would wear a hoody over the Tshirt if it got cold.

I know some schools that have strict dress codes i.e. shirt/tie/slacks for men everyday or if not that, a clean pair of scrubs. Plus mandatory and recorded attendance policy!! man o man does that suck

Marianne11 said:
I'm going to MCW....I don't want to go looking out of place. :)

Me either. When I was there for interviews, I ran into a friend of mine from undergrad. He was in shorts and a T-shirt (I interviewed in September), others had on jeans and things like that. I'm assuming that unless something special is going on, it's pretty casual.

See you in August.

Find out what the school wants. We had to dress up for the first day.

And you shouldn't be looking at movies for Med School guidance.

And come to think of it, it is only April. August is 3-4 months away. Stop stressing. You will do enough of that in med school.

efex101 said:
Like everyone said it depends on the school. I think at Mayo it may be somewhat different...I will find out soon enough.

No reason to 'dress up' for Mayo orientation unless you would prefer to. They do take individual pictures that day for your identification card and for the Mayo Clinic electronic phone directory, but few if any medical students dress up for this photo.