Med School Designations concern...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thadarknyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
3.45 overall gpa (freshman year gpa 2.9 both semesters, and since then, nothing less than a 3.5)
MCAT- 28p
Extracurriculars- based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, id give myself a 7-8. Good volunteering exp (shadowing, etc.), good research experience (1.5 years), however, NO publications or anything of that sort (solid work experience as well)

My dilemma:

with these stats, I feel that I am pretty competitive when it comes to the DO schools, but on the lower half of the borderline with MD schools. I have done my research on both philosophies, and have come to the conclusion that I would like to apply to both, because ideally I want to be a family physician, BUT, by going to a DO school I do not want to limit my chances IN CASE I want to do something else.

When I talked to my pre-med advisor, he said to only consider DO schools, and if thats the case, then he would indicate on my committee letter that I am only applying to DO schools. He said that if DO schools knew that, then they have a higher chance of accepting you. However, I also want to apply to some MD schools. I am applying to ALL schools (MD and DO) that are close to me geographically (NY, NJ, PA)- 3 DO schools and about 9 MD schools.

Being that this is very competitive, do you guys think it to be worth it to apply to MD schools? even though my advisor doesnt think it to be a good idea, or should I do what I am doing, apply to both?

Any help greatly appreciated.
:confused:

MD Schools: Stonybrook, DownState, Upstate, Buffalo, Albany, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, and New York Medical College

DO Schools: NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

thadarknyte said:
Stats:
3.45 overall gpa (freshman year gpa 2.9 both semesters, and since then, nothing less than a 3.5)
MCAT- 28p
Extracurriculars- based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, id give myself a 7-8. Good volunteering exp (shadowing, etc.), good research experience (1.5 years), however, NO publications or anything of that sort (solid work experience as well)

My dilemma:

with these stats, I feel that I am pretty competitive when it comes to the DO schools, but on the lower half of the borderline with MD schools. I have done my research on both philosophies, and have come to the conclusion that I would like to apply to both, because ideally I want to be a family physician, BUT, by going to a DO school I do not want to limit my chances IN CASE I want to do something else.

When I talked to my pre-med advisor, he said to only consider DO schools, and if thats the case, then he would indicate on my committee letter that I am only applying to DO schools. He said that if DO schools knew that, then they have a higher chance of accepting you. However, I also want to apply to some MD schools. I am applying to ALL schools (MD and DO) that are close to me geographically (NY, NJ, PA)- 3 DO schools and about 9 MD schools.

Being that this is very competitive, do you guys think it to be worth it to apply to MD schools? even though my advisor doesnt think it to be a good idea, or should I do what I am doing, apply to both?

MD Schools: Stonybrook, DownState, Upstate, Buffalo, Albany, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, and New York Medical College

I think your safety schools will be Albany Medical and Drexel Medical for M.D. Schools :)

I think it is a great idea to apply M.D. and D.O. schools my advice is go for it.

Have you thought about retaking your MCAT? If you really want an MD, that's the way to go. Otherwise, your stats are good for DO.
Remember that you DO NOT have to apply now if you feel that you can improve your GPA/MCAT/ECs, and give yourself a better shot.

If going DO is fine with you, you should definitely apply now. Otherwise, you could try applying both MD and DO, but you are pretty much gambling yourself for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
MinnyGophers said:
Have you thought about retaking your MCAT? If you really want an MD, that's the way to go. Otherwise, your stats are good for DO.
Remember that you DO NOT have to apply now if you feel that you can improve your GPA/MCAT/ECs, and give yourself a better shot.

If going DO is fine with you, you should definitely apply now. Otherwise, you could try applying both MD and DO, but you are pretty much gambling yourself for MD.

i think you should go for MD schools, but I would probably add more safety MD schools.

thadarknyte said:
Stats:
MCAT- 28p

My dilemma:

You are probably correct when you say you are borderline competative with the lower tier MD programs. However you still have a good shot if you apply early (NOW) and right a compelling PS. Applying to both still gives you a better chance then applying to just one or the other (individual schools view applicants differently, you may get into an MD and rejected at a DO). I would definitely apply to both especially since it seems you want to stay in the area around PA, NJ, NY. Maybe add Pennstate to the mix, they accept a decent amount of OOS compared to many other state schools (I am assuming you are a NY resident based on all the SUNY schools on your list)

Good Luck.

MinnyGophers said:
Have you thought about retaking your MCAT? If you really want an MD, that's the way to go. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that is my retake, in which I went up about 5 points from August 2005 exam :(

btw, what are some of the "safety" MD schools....haha, I think thats the first time i used "safety" and medical schools in the same sentence...

For my entertainment, I think you should post this question in the osteopathic forum. :smuggrin:

I would go ahead and apply to MD schools in addition to DO. Your stats aren't as competitive as the average matriculant, but you never know, you might get in. Make sure you apply ASAP though. Good luck!

The concern is that why you're probably not worrying about getting into DO, your MD chances are not really up there. While it is possible for you to still get into a MD, what if you don't?
Actually, the question that you need to ask yourself is: do you really want a MD? Because I think that if you want to go for the MD, you should apply later after maybe a postbacc to raise your GPA a bit. If you apply now, and don't get into the MD, and still decide to pursue the MD, you can still reapply later, but it's still better to get in during your first try as you don't want to waste money gambling with a GPA that is not up to average.

Really, it's all up to what you want.