1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

med school. early list of choices

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by migs54, Jun 3, 2002.

1. migs54

migs54 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys just finished my freshman year and being quite anal i've already started to do reasearch into which med shcools i will be applying to. wondering if you guys could look to see if i have a wide range of schools. here goes Mayo, cornell, dartmouth, columbia, hopkins, U maryland, U Virginia, duke, north carolina, Northwestern, Stanford, U arizona, Suny Stonybrook, Suny Albany,NYU, U michigan, Pitt. thats what i've come up with so far. what do you guys think? also what schools are tier 1,2,3 etc. and what are the criteria used to seperate them. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whoanelly

whoanelly Member
    7+ Year Member

The answer depends on what you are seeking. Research or primary care focus? Big city or small town? east coast or west or in the middle? 4 seasons of weather or all sunshine? If by tiers you mean ranking, then <a href="http://www.usnews.com" target="_blank">www.usnews.com</a> ranks their assessment of the top 50 research and the top 50 primary care medical schools... for what it's worth. Did you include what you consider to be "reach' as well as "do-able" and "safety" schools. Note though, that sometimes the reach comes through and the safety doesn't. Since you are so early in the process, I suggest that you go to the websites of each school and read what they've written about their program. curriculum, etc... If at all possible, go to the school if you are in the vicinity anyway to see if you like the environment, location, etc..Scour this site to read any discussions that have taken place by applicants who have visited those schools (for example, there is substantial disagreement about Hopkins, Stanford, etc...). Read the comments on interviewfeedback.com--if it ever gets fixed. Go to <a href="http://www.amsa.org" target="_blank">www.amsa.org</a> to see how current students have ranked their schools (Limited # of responses, but the comment section is sometimes informative). Good luck.

4. ellerose

ellerose Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you from Arizona (are you a current resident) or are you from a WICHE state? If you are not, then don't bother applying to Univ of Arizona. They will simply throw your application out the window if you are not a resident or a WICHE applicant. If you are in-state, then you have about a 1 in 4.5 chance of getting in, right off the bat (based on this past year's applicant pool). Not bad odds, if you ask me. I have no real idea what separates the different "tiers", but if you are from Arizona, I hear Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are Arizonan-friendly. Other than that, apply only to the schools that you would go to if you don't get in anywhere else. I.e. Don't apply to Canadian schools if you have no intention of really ever living in Canada. Every year I hear of people getting into places that they don't really like because of people, climate, location, etc., but they go there anyway (usually because it is the only place they got into) and end up hating their experience because they hate the school, the people, etc., etc. I think it's a good idea to start researching schools early. Pay attention to required classes for the schools you definitely want to apply to over the next couple of year. More schools may be requiring biochem, genetics, and/or molecular bio. Congrats on finishing your first year. Only three more year to go (that is, if you are on the four year plan). Then medical school, then residency...

5. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd just focus on doing great in school and having a lot of interesting extracurriculars that make you stand out among the piles of applications that the adcoms have to read. Make sure you have a good time doing all that. Worry about med school when you are a junior