med school english requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigreddawgie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school has a rhet course. does that count? the rest are lit courses. would mythology count? its under my school's lit courses

Members don't see this ad.

Rhetoric counts for sure. You can always call the admissions dept of a school to check and be sure a certain course fulfills the requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rhetoric counts for sure.

There is no "for sure". Some med schools are sticklers about this requirement. I know folks for whom literature courses didn't count because they were offered by a department other than English. If you are going to take a course that varies from a straightforward English class as described by a med school as a prereq, you are best advised to touch base with the med school. I know a few people who had to scramble and take English courses over the summer before matriculation because what they had was not deemed to count.

the thing is that my school doesnt have an english category. it was rhet which was rhetoric and a oral communication class for freshmen thats required. i will be taking both. other than that, there is lit with all the lit classes

I took one English class and 2 writing intensive classes in other departments (one was a foreign lit course, one was a history course). I hope it works, although my school is pretty good about giving us good guidelines.

I took one English class and 2 writing intensive classes in other departments (one was a foreign lit course, one was a history course). I hope it works, although my school is pretty good about giving us good guidelines.

At my Undergraduate school, we had to meet an 18,000 word requirement. I took Composition II and 2 other classes outisde of the English department (Introduction to Music Literature, Introduction to Architect History). The medical schools did not ACCEPTT the two classes outisde of the English department regardless of how much composition was involved. Most schools require 6 credits of English but CU-Denver requires 9 (only school I can think of).