Med school 'F'[s] grade???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonzy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just curious.

What happens when someone fails a course in med school. I am not talking about failing USMLE.

Does anyone have any data on such issue including dropping out [ or getting kicked out] of med school because of 'F' grades?

Sorry, I do not mean to be pessimistic, just a question....

best

Members don't see this ad.

wrong forum. go to the allopathic forum.

i've heard that there's really no such thing as pass/fail - it's more like, pass now/pass later. meaning that, when people do fail, the school does its very best to make sure they pass the next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i've heard you either take it during the summer at your school or you have to go to another school that offers the class.

Most schools will do their very best to make sure you pass. However, they also do their very best to make sure you truly learn the material.

For the most part, schools would rather allow you to repeat a course or repeat the year. My school allows 2 fails (out of 7 tests during the year). Fail the third, and you repeat the year. Fail four, and you're not likely to be a student there the next year. They also require that you be passing in all disciplines (e.g., pharmacology, pathology, anatomy, etc.) at the end of the second year. Any failing disciplines must be remediated (ALL material for that discipline) and passed before you are promoted to the clinical years.

Unfortunately, students do fail out of medical school. Several people in my class did just that.

As has been suggested, what happens varies school-by-school, or even course by course. At my school, for some courses, if you fail you repeat the course over the summer. For other courses, you spend the summer in self-study and take a repeat exam. If you fail enough classes, or fail to pass over the summer, you repeat the year. You need to fail nearly every class to get the boot.

yeah, I would say that once you're in, it's pretty hard to get kicked out of med school. If you fail a class, you can take it over the summer (if it's offered) or repeat the year...but it does vary from school to school.