Med school finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monteroj123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question that i hope i could some input on. When I look at the average indebtness after graduating med school a state school like Umass has 100,000, BU and Tufts are close to 200,000 and top notch school like Harvard, Pritzer, Columbia, Upenn, Hopkins are all around 100,000. My question is do the top notch school give out real money as part of their financial aid? Or does it have to do with the fact that those whose parents can't contribute probably opt go to state schools? Then Upper mid tier school like Bu, Tufts, Georgetown have debts near 200,000. Does this have to do with a mix of those who have financial and those who don't since that don't give out real money? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had a quick question that i hope i could some input on. When I look at the average indebtness after graduating med school a state school like Umass has 100,000, BU and Tufts are close to 200,000 and top notch school like Harvard, Pritzer, Columbia, Upenn, Hopkins are all around 100,000. My question is do the top notch school give out real money as part of their financial aid? Or does it have to do with the fact that those whose parents can't contribute probably opt go to state schools? Then Upper mid tier school like Bu, Tufts, Georgetown have debts near 200,000. Does this have to do with a mix of those who have financial and those who don't since that don't give out real money? Thanks
They give real money (need based and/or merit, depending on the school).

What do you mean by real money? I don't know any schools giving out monoply money as part of their finacial aid package.

My school is mid-tier, and they covered the entire cost of my tuition (now if I could just figure out housing, food, and books!)

Members don't see this ad :)
What i mean by real money is grants and need based scholarship. I know tufts give low interest loans but very few if any students get money they don't have to pay back. So i was wondering if the top schools give out more money than other schools? My real question is how can attending a school like Umass with a tuition less than 15,000 year verses a school like Harvard which is 45,00 a year leave a graduate with the same amount of debt in the end? Thanks.

What i mean by real money is grants and need based scholarship. I know tufts give low interest loans but very few if any students get money they don't have to pay back. So i was wondering if the top schools give out more money than other schools? My real question is how can attending a school like Umass with a tuition less than 15,000 year verses a school like Harvard which is 45,00 a year leave a graduate with the same amount of debt in the end? Thanks.

Do a search. Those figures for average indebtedness don't paint the whole picture. But, yes, top tier schools are going to have more money to give out. Do you know how much funding a school like Harvard receives?

Top schools definitely are more generous with need based scholarship and grants. Many state schools literally give nothing. Don't choose to apply to your state school v. top private schools based on sticker price.

med school is stupidly expensive. i dont even know where it all goes.

med school is stupidly expensive. i dont even know where it all goes.

410.jpg