mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Where can I find information about med schools that are not necessarily evident on their webpages or in the MSAR? I am referring to things like I have read on some threads here like "they are very service oriented" or "they love non-traditional applicants" or the like. I realize that the schools have mission statements but it is difficult to really get a handle on the realistic "tone" of a school by going about things in a traditional manner.

Any suggestions on where I might get such information? BTW I am basically applying to schools all up and down the east coast if that helps to narrow the search any.

Thanks
m.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I look at stuff like what research centers the school hosts, what clinics, what events, CME, etc.

I look at whether there's a residency and fellowships in the areas in which I'm interested, and what's being published by whom at what school.

You can do this with the intent of butt-kissing the school ("I am excited about the rural underserved primary care focus here") or you can do it with the intent to show you've got a non-generic interest that's met by the school ("Dr. Bleeb's '09 paper on blorgs is used as a reference by the NGO I've been working for in Thailand.")

Best of luck to you.

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I look at stuff like what research centers the school hosts, what clinics, what events, CME, etc.

I look at whether there's a residency and fellowships in the areas in which I'm interested, and what's being published by whom at what school.

You can do this with the intent of butt-kissing the school ("I am excited about the rural underserved primary care focus here") or you can do it with the intent to show you've got a non-generic interest that's met by the school ("Dr. Bleeb's '09 paper on blorgs is used as a reference by the NGO I've been working for in Thailand.")

Best of luck to you.

Oh that's great I have experience and a publication on Blorgs. BTW I am taking you up on your offer for AMCAS mutual review. I'll PM you. Thanks!