Med School for Hearing Impairment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo_SK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hearing impaired and will be applying this upcoming cycle to medical school. I am wondering if there are any medical schools that are known for accommodating hearing impaired students? I already have a list of schools I plan on applying to, but I'm curious if there are any schools that have extra consideration with hearing impairment. I have done research but couldn't come up with anything useful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am hearing impaired with a cochlear implant and hearing aid and will be applying this upcoming cycle to medical school. I am wondering if there are any medical schools that are known for accommodating hearing impaired students? I already have a list of schools I plan on applying to, but I'm curious if there are any schools that have extra consideration with hearing impairment. I have done research but couldn't come up with anything useful.
Yes! Rochester does! :) They currently have a hearing impaired student with a cochlear implant.

What would the accommodations be for using a stethoscope? Any troubles with fitting it over the hearing aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would the accommodations be for using a stethoscope? Any troubles with fitting it over the hearing aid?
Currently, using headphones with the stethoscope would be my best option.

Last edited:
I am hearing impaired with a cochlear implant and hearing aid and will be applying this upcoming cycle to medical school. I am wondering if there are any medical schools that are known for accommodating hearing impaired students? I already have a list of schools I plan on applying to, but I'm curious if there are any schools that have extra consideration with hearing impairment. I have done research but couldn't come up with anything useful.
I believe the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act would require just about any accredited medical school to accommodate hearing impaired students, but as you may be aware, there are a couple of schools that have gained some notoriety for resisting (or at least, contesting vigorously what accommodations are required) e.g. Creighton and PNWU. I hope people have some great ideas for you on places that have been more welcoming.

I'm hearing-impaired with hearing aids and am applying this cycle. Let me know if you need any help with your premed career or the application later on. You do have the unfortunate burden of having to compensate with your disability by having some type of "wow-factor" in your application. Think about that as you go through your career.

You don't have to apply to specific medical schools that are accommodating. I myself never applied to Rochester. If you can convince a medical school that you're a strong fit at their school, they would have no problem accommodating you. Work on thay "wow-factor" from now.