Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Med school goodies.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by SqB, Dec 2, 1998.

1. SqB

SqB Member

I have noticed while looking into med schools that many of them seem to be giving away a lot of stuff for going to their school. While I would never base my decision on who gives away the best stuff, I would like to know if this is common and what kind of incentives each gives. For example I saw that the students at one school get:
    A notebook computer
    A stethescope
    An opthalmiscope
    An otoscope
    And an OMT table.

This seems like a lot until you remember that you are paying around $20K a year I guess.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Allison

Allison Junior Member

Holy craziness batman! Where in the heck is giving these 'incentives' I've never heard of such a thing!

Allison

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

I've heard that Pikeville college gives away a TON of stuff, but I have no verification of that? Does anyone else know?

Billie

5. Kansai

Kansai Member

The application materials I got from Pikeville mentioned that tuition covers all textbooks, portable OMT table, laptop & fees for boards. That's alot of goodies in my opinion!

Stef

6. Kansai

Kansai Member

The application materials I got from Pikeville mentioned that tuition covers all textbooks, portable OMT table, laptop & fees for boards. That's alot of goodies in my opinion!

Stef

7. SqB

SqB Member

Pikesville is the college I am talking about, but it seems like many of the schools are giving or loaning computers for med students to use. The real reason I am interested is that I had already planned to save enough money to buy a notebook and good stethescope before setting off to school. Though the schools get it back in tuition, it would be nice not to have to buy them.

8. 2003

2003 Senior Member

What other schools (specifically) give freebies? I'm only aware of Pikeville.

9. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
  10. Mistyblue

Mistyblue Member

I was recently accepted at Pikeville, and yes, we do get all of the freebies mentioned above, plus our scrubs, notebooks, etc. During my interview, one of the students told us that in his 2 years at Pikeville, the only thing he has had to buy on his own has been pens and highlighters. That sounds like a great deal to me!

11. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    What are tuition/fees up to now at Pikeville? What's the bottom line that you guys pay every year?

12. dollarbincommon

dollarbincommon apple fritters are good

I'm interested in Pikeville. I've been looking into it. But I get discouraged to apply to it. I mean, Pikeville has a preference for instate and appalachian region applicants. I've also been told that Kentucky is not very tolerant towards non-whites.

Can you comment on this?

13. Buster Douglas

Buster Douglas Unregistered User

Medical Student
    :laugh:

I didn't even graduate from HIGH SCHOOL yet!

14. raspberry swirl

Medical Student
    a lot of schools give/provide their students with "goodies". we don't get laptops or anything crazy at LECOM, but we do get really really good stethoscopes (they're actually from POMA, not LECOM, so i would imagine PCOM gets them too). i know someone at PCSOM and our stethoscopes are actually a lot better ;) but anyway, if you're getting free books and laptops and all that, you're tuition is definitely going up. but it is certainly less of a hassle to just get handed stuff on the first day . . .

15. Green912

Attending Physician
    I got some free stuff too. All for the low price of $25,000 a year.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    ussdfiant raising hell again

18. Mistyblue

Mistyblue Member

Sophiejane,

Tuition at Pikeville in $26,000 for both in-state and out-of-state, although KY residents have the option of accepting the KY Osteopathic Scholarship. This scholarship will cut the cost of tuition approximately in half, and in return, you must agree to work in an underserved area of KY for every year you accept the scholarship.

dollarbincommon,

If I were you, I would not be discouraged to apply at all. While they do favor in-state applicants, there are several students in each class that come from many different areas, not just KY. The main issue with out-of-state applicants is that they have to be willing to work in an underserved area, and they must convince the admissions committee of this. Pikeville's mission is to train doctors in underserved areas so that they will hopefully practice in underserved areas. Although I regretfully have to admit that some areas of KY can be a bit racist sometimes, I really don't think that Pikeville and the surrounding area is one of those areas. I have lived in KY all my life, and the people in Pikeville are perhaps the nicest people I've ever met! If working in an underserved area is something you would be comfortable with, then give it a shot!

19. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess I won't feel too bad then. No freebies, but my tuition and fees are 1/3 of that figure. :)

20. happy5

happy5 Junior Member

at NYCOM, $29,000 and we get up to a 100 pages of free printing in the computer lab per week woo hoo!!

oh least i forget the mysterious PDAs. that we gonna get after 2nd block...... before winter break.......after winter break.......before spring break........after #$(%^*$(\#

dont hold your breath

21. Aaron Earles

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    We do get all of those things that were originally posted. We are also provided with lab coats and all our scrubs.

dollarbincommon,

Pikeville does prefer instate and Appalachian region applicants. But, I would venture to say that around 20 to 30% of their students are not under this category. They have people from Texas, Michigan, and other places. You just have to convince the admissions staff that you really, really want to go to Pikeville and practice in a small town.

To answer your question, I am from WV, and know a great deal of people from KY. The people of Pikeville, KY are some of the nicest and most tolerant people I have ever met. While I was in Pikeville, I saw a lot of "non-white" students and they seemed to really love the town. I hope that you decide to apply there, I would love to have you as a classmate! I would be happy to answer any more questions that you might have. Feel free to PM me if you would prefer.

Aaron

22. Rafa

Rafa headbutts like zidane

Pre-Medical
    bump...any other thoughts on pikeville? what is the town like?

23. HooahDOc

Physician

Attending Physician
    They're not freebies, you're paying for them in your tuition.

24. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yes, but the best part is that this is a thread that was started in 1998, then resurrected in 2004. This one has returned from the dead twice!!! I think we have a new world record here.