1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Med School in Australia

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by 123Cookie123, May 14, 2008.

1. 123Cookie123

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey,

I am a high school student looking into studying medicine in Australia. Just finishing off final exams as of now and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with some details on the schools there? ie: which are most foreign undergraduate friendly, the matches, etc...

additionally if there is anyone out there who enetered med right after high school in australia let me know about your experiences.

and lastly...i seem to be a bit confused about the admissions there...i'm under the impression that its a rolling addmission, and that many of these schools don't have a set deadline (not from what i've seen on their websites anyway) - obviously i'd want to have my app in as sooon as possible but when would i expect to hear back?? from some of the websites it says as early as three weeks..and some wont reply until next march? is that correct??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

btw the schools im looking at are adelaide, bond, james cook, monash, NSW and western sydney...obviously not applying to all but these are the ones that offer the undergrad route..

thanks again!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. giantaxon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

The places to apply are through OzTREKK (Canadian) or Australearn. I wouldn't worry about the domestic application service ACER, they appear to be less user friendly and limmit the number of schools you can apply. The admissions are rolling, if you apply early you have better odds. Word on the street is that if you apply >6 weeks after the application comes out at Queensland your odds are against you. Indeed some universities offer the traditional non-North American approach to beginning medicine after high school. Yet, the trend seems to be moving towards graduate entry programs. Nevertheless, lots of options exist. Yet, I have no idea what sort of stats are required for international students applying to these programs.

URLs: OzTREKK (http://www.oztrekk.com/), Australearn (http://www.australearn.org/)

Let me devise a list of high school entry programs with application opening dates:

- Bond - Applications open in October with OzTREKK

- James Cook - Applications open in January with OzTREKK

- Monash - Applications open in May with OzTREKK

- University of Adelaide - Applications open year around at Australearn?

- University of Auckland - Applications open year around at Australearn?

- University of Queensland - Applications open year around at Australearn?

- University of Tasmania - Applications open year around at Australearn?

4. lester905

2+ Year Member

I was just wondering....is the MCAT required for all the Australian med schools when applying from USA/Canada?

5. neulite

neulite Graduate Student (GRII)
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    MCAT or GAMSAT. The difference is the emphasis each school places on it.

6. giantaxon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  7. tennisball80

tennisball80 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the information.

I am also planning to apply next year :D