Med school in europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to move to the UK and take med school would i be able to get a residency in the US without taking US med school?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were to move to the UK and take med school would i be able to get a residency in the US without taking US med school?

The best way to get into a US residency is from a US medical school. No one is going to tell you otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to get into a US residency is from a US medical school. No one is going to tell you otherwise.

This is absolutely true... Supporting therealmd's hypothesis that no one will tell you otherwise.

Whats your reason for wanting to go to the UK for med school...just curious

my reason for going to med school in europe would be that you do not have to get a bachelors degree you can just go out of high school.

Do yourself a favor and enjoy college; I know your still in highschool and very ambitious which is a good thing but allow yourself to mature and find other interests.

my reason for going to med school in europe would be that you do not have to get a bachelors degree you can just go out of high school.

There are no good short cuts. In fact, it's often recommended to take a longer cut. US med schools put great weight on things like maturity and broad exposure to other things. You get the most opportunity to improve on both these things in college. Plus for many, it is the best 4 years of your life -- you have a freedom and lack of responsibility you will never have again, have the opportunity to try new things, take nonscience courses, meet new and interesting people, learn to cut loose, etc. It has a huge impact in your social skills, which are more important for medicine than any other skill you might have or develop. Because at its heart, medicine is a service industry, and people skills are what it's all about. Most US med schools require a college degree, because it was determined by the profession in the US that this was the path that generated the kind of doctors the system required. More mature, more seasoned, broader exposure to other things. The UK system was around before we selected ours, and we chose not to go that route. This is not a decision that really should be made while in high school. Spend a few years seeing other things, at least from a college student's perspective, and then decide if medicine is right for you.

This is a path that is going to involve a lifetime of learning -- it's sort of silly to be trying to shave 4 years (often the most enjoyable 4) off the path. Your post itself suggests a lack of the kind of patience and maturity you need to be successful in medicine. This path is all about jumping through long arduous hoops. Get used to it.

There are no good short cuts. In fact, it's often recommended to take a longer cut. US med schools put great weight on things like maturity and broad exposure to other things. You get the most opportunity to improve on both these things in college. Plus for many, it is the best 4 years of your life -- you have a freedom and lack of responsibility you will never have again, have the opportunity to try new things, take nonscience courses, meet new and interesting people, learn to cut loose, etc. It has a huge impact in your social skills, which are more important for medicine than any other skill you might have or develop. Because at its heart, medicine is a service industry, and people skills are what it's all about. Most US med schools require a college degree, because it was determined by the profession in the US that this was the path that generated the kind of doctors the system required. More mature, more seasoned, broader exposure to other things. The UK system was around before we selected ours, and we chose not to go that route. This is not a decision that really should be made while in high school. Spend a few years seeing other things, at least from a college student's perspective, and then decide if medicine is right for you.

This is a path that is going to involve a lifetime of learning -- it's sort of silly to be trying to shave 4 years (often the most enjoyable 4) off the path. Your post itself suggests a lack of the kind of patience and maturity you need to be successful in medicine. This path is all about jumping through long arduous hoops. Get used to it.

:thumbup:

There's no rush.

You don't want to disadvantage yourself...it's going to be much tougher coming back to the US for residency later.

-- it's sort of silly to be trying to shave 4 years (often the most enjoyable 4) off the path.

Actually the OP is trying to shave a mere 2 years off the path, since in the UK medical school is 6 years instead of 4 (which makes his time-saving goal even sillier considering the added difficulties of adjusting to the difference in medical systems between the UK and the US plus trying to obtain a residency as an IMG).

You're really cheating yourself if you do this. There is no good reason to, and those two years won't matter in the end as compared to the excellent experience you will hopefully have in college. I loved college, and to skip it would have been a really terrible thing.

Thanks guys for the information I will take it into consideration.

As said many times; go to medical school in the US if you want to practice in the US.

I used to be pretty crazy about Europe; I lived there for a while, went to school in Austria, taught English in Prague. I would have various thoughts of moving overseas, buying a little alpine chalet in the Alps and running a B&B and snowboard every day. It's a nice place and I still plan on spending a bit of time over there (I have family there, etc) BUT... (and it's a huge but)

As a US citizen you have access to some of the best medical education in the world and if you want to practice in the states you really should take advantage of this privilege. Regardless of how we bemoan the future of medicine, the fact remains that there are tons of IMG applicants for US allopathic residencies so medicine in the US must not be too bad compared with the rest of the world. Just stay here do the undergrad thing, and apply like everyone else and you'll be in a much better position.

I don't think that going to med school right after high school is a big deal. I was born in Cuba and that's how they do it there. People still become really good doctors...and they also have fun.

The only exception to the rule is my brother, who dropped out after his second year.

Then again, I know someone else who came to the US in the middle of her fifth year (5 yr med school), and had to do the whole bachelor's degree shindig before doing med school allll over again.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...it depends on your personality, how mature you are, how much you really want it. Also, how good your education was. I know in Cuba they teach a bunch of stuff that I learned in college during high school.

All that said...I don't think you should go to the UK only to come back to the US afterward.