Med school in Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone has any information on the university of Puerto Rico school of medicine. I know that it is considered a fully accredited US medical school but I still haveent heard much about it. I was also accepted to another med school but tuittion and fees are just too much for me ($23,000/ yr), especially when I only pay $5,000 a year in tuition at UPR.
I went down there and I really enjoyed staying there. The tropical weather is perfect (It would be nice to study by the beach in january). So far I am thinking seriously about going there.
Althought the medical school does have fully accredited residency programs of its own, what if I decide to do a residency in the US mainland?Does it really make a difference if I study medicine at PR?
With tuition so low at a fully accredited school of medicine and cost of living there reasonably low I beleieve its a combination thats hard to beat. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated. :D

Members don't see this ad.

you'll have more luck searching through some of the threads in the caribbean forum. Schools down there have been discussed in that forum.

Dr. Who:

there are 3 LCME accredited schools in PR, a fourh one is not accredited. Those 3 are: University of Puerto Rico Med school (UPR), Universidad Central del Caribe (UCC) and Ponce school of medicine (im a student there).

The cheapest of this 3 schools is the UPR since its the only public one, BUT the aceptance rate is almost 0% if you are not puertorrican, since almost 100% of the students admitted there are from the island. The other two schools accept american students, Ponce having the highest percentage of american students in its classes.

Residency wise, as any med school in the mainland USA, if you do well in the steps you have a chance at any residency you want. For example year after year 80% or more of PMS students end up doing residency in the states, ranging from IM to competitive residency such as radiology, derma or orthopedic surgery, but sure, you have to do well in the steps as in any other med school.

Another thing, classes are taught in spanish, handouts are in english, books are the same as the continental schools, and exams are in english too.

I hope this info helps, any more question send me an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is the tuition at UCC and UPR. Do they allow you to do any clinicals on the mainland USA? How much spanish is needed during clinicals?

mig26x said:
Dr. Who:

there are 3 LCME accredited schools in PR, a fourh one is not accredited. Those 3 are: University of Puerto Rico Med school (UPR), Universidad Central del Caribe (UCC) and Ponce school of medicine (im a student there).

The cheapest of this 3 schools is the UPR since its the only public one, BUT the aceptance rate is almost 0% if you are not puertorrican, since almost 100% of the students admitted there are from the island. The other two schools accept american students, Ponce having the highest percentage of american students in its classes.

Residency wise, as any med school in the mainland USA, if you do well in the steps you have a chance at any residency you want. For example year after year 80% or more of PMS students end up doing residency in the states, ranging from IM to competitive residency such as radiology, derma or orthopedic surgery, but sure, you have to do well in the steps as in any other med school.

Another thing, classes are taught in spanish, handouts are in english, books are the same as the continental schools, and exams are in english too.

I hope this info helps, any more question send me an email.

The Univ of Puerto Rico is fully accredited as a US med school as are the 2 others described.No problems with residency,they are not technicallyconsidered "foreign" or "carbbean" med schools although geographically thats where they are.I know of several U of Puerto Rico grads in very competitive mainland residencies.As I understand it the preclinical is a mix of english and spanish,during the clinical years patient encounters are pretty much all in spanish.

mig26x said:
Dr. Who:
The cheapest of this 3 schools is the UPR since its the only public one, BUT the aceptance rate is almost 0% if you are not puertorrican, since almost 100% of the students admitted there are from the island.

I've posted this before in another thread but just want to emphasize this. My Mom was born and raised on the island and is a UPR grad to boot. But when I applied (with an above-average MCAT by PR standards) I was immediately rejected without interview based on my not being a resident.

You can try, but Ponce is the realistic bet.

You misunderstand, I was accepted to the UPR school of medicine. Dont ask me how, but I just recieved an acceptance letter last week. Although I knew it was a long shot I still aplied. $5,000/ year for med school is a dream! I was also accepted to UMDNJ but with tuition ($23,000) and fees (~$8,000), I'm looking at $31,000/ year without counting my personal and living expenses (which are pretty high in the NY- NJ area).
So although UMDNJ NJ medical school is more well known, I think Im going to the UPR school. When its all said and done I save more than $125,000 in student loans.

What UMDNJ school costs 31,000 a year? I go to UMDNJ, and my fees aren't 8000 a year.

Wow...did you ever study or live in PR? If not count yourself extremely fortunate, you must have been a truly exceptional applicant then. :) At that tuition I'd seriously go - UPR has by far the best rep on the island, and it'll be well worth avoiding debt. It would take a top ten school to make me hesitate. Congrats!

Tiki said:
What UMDNJ school costs 31,000 a year? I go to UMDNJ, and my fees aren't 8000 a year.
Tiki did you read what I wrote? Tuition as of this year according to the admissions office is $23,000/ year. Now with fees I think I overestimated, but it is still a couple thousand. My point is not to give an exact number only an estimate. Any way you look at it, it is still a lot of money.

Dr Who said:
Tiki did you read what I wrote? Tuition as of this year according to the admissions office is $23,000/ year. Now with fees I think I overestimated, but it is still a couple thousand. My point is not to give an exact number only an estimate. Any way you look at it, it is still a lot of money.

Yes I did read what you wrote, and yes you did overestimate. People may read your inaccuracies and get turned off by an otherwise great system of schools for that reason.

Good luck in PR.

ok Tiki so I'll ammend what I wrote. Tuition is ACTUALLY $23,000 at UMDNJ New Jersey medical school. With fees I meant anything related to med studies (books, instruments, fees etc), not just the student fees. Although it is not as high as I originally posted it is still significant $$$, just like at every other med schiool.
I never said the school was bad in ANY WAY whatsoever. As a matter of fact, im torn between going there (It was my first choice after all) and going to UPR (for obvious reasons).
Although I am pretty much decided, if I were to choose UMDNJ I wouldnt feel bad at all, I would feel proud like I'm sure you are. So if I offended you in any way, my sincere apologies.
I hope that puts this to rest since it was not what I had in mind at all when I put up the post.

Actually I should apologize. I was feeling grouchy earlier and it probably came out in my posts. Choose whatever school is best for you.