Med school in Scranton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t2oo5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live close to Scranton, and I have been hearing a lot in the newspaper about building a medical school in Scranton. Anyone else hear of this, probably not if you’re not as local as I am. Anyways, for those of you not as familiar, talk has been going on for about a year, and already they have set aside 35M (not much in the grand scope, but still something) for the construction. I guess it is good progress for when the idea was first introduced and rejected by many early in 2005. It seems now a lot more people are supporting the idea. What do you guys think of this? Would you ever be daring to apply as the first graduating class if you had the opportunity? How long would you say it would take to construct a medical school? Imagine just the library... Anyways, what do you guys think? I was curious to see if anyone else heard of this who is not local.
Here are the links to the articles:
35M Article
Study about Med School

Members don't see this ad.

I did hear about this, but also heard it was being pushed back. Do some more research and start calling the folks involved.

as for whether or not i would apply to a domestic m.d. school for it's first graduating class, absolutely; your chances for admission would probably be higher versus a more "established" school, and you would be part of a milestone class. i don't think the risks are too high (is there even such a thing as a medical school "failing" during it's first year?)

Members don't see this ad :)
And how about after it's first year?

Here is a link to an AAMC publication on their future plans for new medical schools. Check out page 24. Perhaps the one in Scranton will be osteopathic? Touro got approval from the state to go ahead with their school. Perhaps that will be the closest school that will be open shortly. Good luck.

Hmmmmm. interesting. So there really isn't much information yet whether this would be affiliated with a state school or anything? Just kind of here is the money..have at it?