Med school is making me lose my hair...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that is the case... My forehead seems like its getting bigger. I mean... I've had a decently sized forehead my whole life... but I'm noticing the temple area changing or so I think....My dad has a full head of hair and so does my mom. I do notice my uncles (maternal and paternal side) have receding hairlines. I guess its most likely a genetics thing for me.
I'm 25 soon!!!!!!! But I feel like I'm aging much faster than that...

I guess if it is genetically predetermined for me to lose my hair.. it's bound to happen.. But I feel like school is speeding up the whole process. I also notice a bunch of my classmates complaining of the same thing as me. I do also notice a lot of classmates who are actually balding as well...some worse than others...

This is so depressing...

Just wanted to vent... Any suggestions or thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

minoxidil

will also treat the high blood pressure medical school is also probably giving you

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't start doing the combover thing in an attempt to hide the bald spots. Or that new crap the young guys are doing where they spike it with gel and move the hair over the thinning area.

Just cut it off.

Before people assert the scientific evidence behind mpb, let me enter and be unscientific. All of the middle aged md's at my school--bar none--are bald, or going bad, that is, brushing loose strands of hair over glossy domes. I've seen a few derms who have manes of hair, but they are probably implants.

So I agree with you completely. It's the constant stress, probably, that triggers the genetic predisposition to reveal itself early. I think this is is known as gene-environment interaction.......

I believe 90% of what I just said.

so what to do is take the hair that is genetically predisposed to NOT fall out and put it where the hair that fell out was.
hmmmm (back of the skull to the front)
http://www.greatlooksdoc.com/

My hairline is literally 3-4cm further back when looking at my ERAS picture compared to my undergrad senior pictures. Sad but true.

Lots of guys lose our hair in our 20s... I am 29 now and clearly have some receding hair-line going on... I think I was in denial up until I was 26 and looked at an old photo graph! It's like whoa! lol... didn't see that coming!

Just embrace it...
:)

Finasteride (Propecia) + Minoxidil (Rogaine) is an amazing combo with a good probably of at least slowing down the process if not stopping it all together (maybe even regrowth if you're really lucky). It didn't regrow hair I lost, but the stuff I have looks thicker, healthier, and I don't notice it all over my hands after showering after a solid yr of use.

As a med student, cost is always an issue. For the minoxidil, buy a 3 pack of Rogain foam online at Amazon ($12 per one month supply). Don't waste $70/mo on Propecia. Instead buy Proscar (still finasteride, just higher dosage and already past patent, so there's generics). Get a pill spliter and cut the 5 mg Proscar into 1.25 mg slices and take that instead of the 1 mg Propecia. You can get a months supply of Proscar for like $25-50 and after cutting it up you'll have a 4 month supply. With both of those tips, cost really isn't much of an issue :D

Of course, make sure to see a dermatologist before getting started and tell him your plan. You'll also need him to write the Finasteride Rx. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited:
I'm not losing hair but numerous white ones are popping up. :(

Finasteride (Propecia) + Minoxidil (Rogaine) is an amazing combo with a good probably of at least slowing down the process if not stopping it all together (maybe even regrowth if you're really lucky). It didn't regrow hair I lost, but the stuff I have looks thicker, healthier, and I don't notice it all over my hands after showering after a solid yr of use.

As a med student, cost is always an issue. For the minoxidil, buy a 3 pack of Rogain foam online at Amazon ($12 per one month supply). Don't waste $70/mo on Propecia. Instead buy Proscar (still finasteride, just higher dosage and already past patent, so there's generics). Get a pill spliter and cut the 5 mg Proscar into 1.25 mg slices and take that instead of the 1 mg Propecia. You can get a months supply of Proscar for like $25-50 and after cutting it up you'll have a 4 month supply. With both of those tips, cost really isn't much of an issue :D

Of course, make sure to see a dermatologist before getting started and tell him your plan. You'll also need him to write the Finasteride Rx. PM me if you want more info.
HAHA
universals are rare,

partial good advice...
side effects might include erectile issues.
it that happens, just blame the girl.....maybe she'll join a gym, get an eating disorder. wear some makeup......or turn gay....
Don't waste your money. Just freaking shave your head. You will look like a badass and chicks dig it.
right,you and your odd/lumpy head is dead sexy
and dont worry about the girth you gain as a you grow up, buy bigger pants, bigger shirts and embrace it

Becoming a DO/MD is about using tools(from drugs to stents to artificial genitals)fighting nature.fighting god/devil, fighting "fate", fighting to get whatever you want.

hah join the club
I went from having nearly a full head of hair before first-year to obviously balding (at the crown, temples, and the top of my head in general) by February. take about depressing.

I take finasteride every morning (w/o side-effects, luckily) and apply Rogaine foam at night. Hair loss has stopped completely but I haven't seen any regrowth and its been about 7 months now. I haven't tried it myself, but my "hair-loss expert" dermatologist recommended "Toppik" if you wanna look good for pictures or going out or something...

I also buzz my hair off on a 2, but its still noticeable that I'm thinning :(

Members don't see this ad :)

You obviously need to listen to this guy. Why bother consulting a real doctor when you can get way better medical advice from a premed?! It's a no-brainer!

You obviously need to listen to this guy. Why bother consulting a real doctor when you can get way better medical advice from a premed?! It's a no-brainer!
that pre-med needs to add in Proscar can be bought from overseas,
cheaply

I actually had a similar problem (though I'm a girl) and actually turned out to have a thyroid condition. Not saying that this is your problem, just sharing my story.

I'm losing my hair as well. Buzz-cuts ftw!

Hi All, I have noticed the same problem. Ever since starting med school my hair has been shedding a lot. I guess it's the high stress, cortisol? I don't know, but I will try to relax more. The catch-22 is that stress makes me concentrate better, stay more focused. I really fear that I will look like an old man by the end of first year of fourth year. However, medications are not worth it, too many side effects. The most important thing is that we have our health.
By the way, it has also thinned out. Even at the front, not just at the temples. However, I guess we are in this to become good doctors, not come out looking like A and F models...lol

Check your back. Your may not be losing hair; it just relocated.

Don't waste your money. Just freaking shave your head. You will look like a badass and chicks dig it.

This. I have seen lots of sexy bald (genetic and/or choice) guys, but ZERO sexy guys that are losing hair and try to do the combover thing. They aren't fooling anyone cept themselves maybe. The confidence that some bald guys have embracing their shiny new top also adds to that sexy factor.

And the only people that I know worrying that bald = ugly are guys. All the girls I talk to have no problem with bald guys. We do have a problem with combovers/trying to hide it in some way. Obviously it's not universal, but I would say the majority of women share this opinion.

If it's that important to you, find out what the chick you're digging likes.

Yeah I'm thinning a bit, male pattern baldness FTL.

It doesn't bother me much... I don't think it's stress related either as there's a genetic component of it in my family on one side. I usually just keep longer hair in front but don't do the combover thing as that looks incredibly stupid.

I think that is the case... My forehead seems like its getting bigger. I mean... I've had a decently sized forehead my whole life... but I'm noticing the temple area changing or so I think....My dad has a full head of hair and so does my mom. I do notice my uncles (maternal and paternal side) have receding hairlines. I guess its most likely a genetics thing for me.

I guess if it is genetically predetermined for me to lose my hair.. it's bound to happen.. But I feel like school is speeding up the whole process. I also notice a bunch of my classmates complaining of the same thing as me. I do also notice a lot of classmates who are actually balding as well...some worse than others...

This is so depressing...

1)Welcome to the introductory world of big time Medicine.!!

2)Try hard to destress..(easy for me to say)

3)Finastiride 1.25mg daily (will help you keep the hair you have)

4)When you get haircut try to have the barber evenly blend everything in so baldness doesnt show as much..

5) All lame knucklehead jokes aside "can't grow grass on a busy street"

6)Do you ever see photos of Sir Willaim Osler with a full head of hair?? :cool:

Last edited:
Prince William too appears to be balding.

I'd say don't stress about it although I'm sure it can be tough not to. If it's not hair issues, it's another issue... skin, weight, etc. Everybody has certain things about their appearance that they may not appreciate. But the question is - Is it really worth emphasizing or talking about or worrying about - on top of the other more important things to take care of?

For men, it seems to be a quite sensitive issue. But I see so many guys who are bald or balding, nothing out of the ordinary. Often genetic and nothing that can be fixed through action either. So whatever.

This is so depressing...

Try ketokonazole shampoo first. Over the counter Nizoral shampoo...it works. I thought I was balding, haven't lost any more hair since I started. People laugh when I tell then I use anti-balding shampoo because I have thick hair. If that is not enough security there is minoxidil but you have to use it forever..

1)Welcome to the introductory world of big time Medicine.!!

2)Try hard to destress..(easy for me to say)

3)Finastiride 1.25mg daily (will help you keep the hair you have)

4)When you get haircut try to have the barber evenly blend everything in so baldness doesnt show as much..

5) All lame knucklehead jokes aside "can't grow grass on a busy street"

6)Do you ever see photos of Sir Willaim Osler with a full head of hair?? :cool:

Goodnight sweet sex drive

finasteride 1 mg will help. See your PCP or dermatologist now because it can only help to regrow so much.

however do note this drug is expensive because there is no generic out yet. OK well there is a generic for treating BPH but that is a 5mg dose and is way too high for what you need it for. And I assume you don't want some of the possible negative sexual side effects... though I guess you could cut each tab into 5 pieces but I just wouldn't trust that to be the same to be honest and it might be a hard sell to get a doc to prescribe the drug with those instructions

Last edited:
no way i would EVER touch finasteride. I've heard wayyy too many horror stories

nizoral shampoo + 7-keto DHEA (inhibits 11b-hsd) + minoxidil = all I'll use

I think guys are putting too much emphasis on receding hairlines. If it does happen, cut it short and supplement with a healthy dose of confidence! So much more attractive than an obsessing male frantically rubbing in lotions and potions and swallowing tablets. :cool:

I think guys are putting too much emphasis on receding hairlines. If it does happen, cut it short and supplement with a healthy dose of confidence! So much more attractive than an obsessing male frantically rubbing in lotions and potions and swallowing tablets. :cool:

Quoted for truth. Cut your hair short, stay in shape, and quit obsessing over a losing battle. I just tell myself I look like Jason Statham, and girls seem to think he's alright-looking. :)

Yeah, sorry I can't really relate. I have a full head of thick hair. Sometimes my awesome hair gets to be a burden.

Just keep it short and trim or even shave it all off. Many guys are doing it these days. It might weird a few people out at first but they get used to it. Besides, it makes it look bigger.

All I read was this bottom post and I'm somewhat wondering what we're talking about and in what direction this thread has gone (south?). Hang on let me read a few threads up....

Seriously though. Just take out a personal loan and get a hair transplant before residency. People will tell you not to if your hairline has not yet stabilized, but with a physicians salary you can definitely afford to get another hair transplant later if necessary.

Just don't get a toupee. They really are so very obvious.

Last edited:
Subsequently if you don't want to cut up the 5mg finasteride generics you could always buy the 1mg generics from a Canadian pharmacy. This is what I do. I've had very dramatic reversal of my receding hairline since I started this + nizoral shampoo. I wouldn't touch minoxidil until you've run out of other options (the reason being is that you'll have to continue to use higher and higher concentrations of minoxidil to get the same effect over time, and you don't want to desensitize yourself to it until you have to).

EDIT: Also with the sex drive issue - I think it's mostly psychological. People hear they may have decreased libido from finasteride, so they psych themselves out. This happened to me when I started it, but it quickly resolved itself after a few weeks when I had stopped worrying about the side-effects.

no way i would EVER touch finasteride. I've heard wayyy too many horror stories

nizoral shampoo + 7-keto DHEA (inhibits 11b-hsd) + minoxidil = all I'll use

I use nizoral 5x a week. I literally have a norwood 2 only (maybe even norwood 1.5) but I am paranoid...I would look ugly bald :D

Finasteride can be obtained in its generic form at 5mg dosage for BPH. You can take a pill cutter and cut it into 1/4 or 1/5 or even 1/6. Side effect profile for sexual dysfunction is ~2%. It is like saying you will never use or prescribe Trazadone due to the 1% chance of causing a priapism. Most people who get the sexual sides from finasteride just have it in their heads.

Finasteride can be obtained in its generic form at 5mg dosage for BPH. You can take a pill cutter and cut it into 1/4 or 1/5 or even 1/6. Side effect profile for sexual dysfunction is ~2%. It is like saying you will never use or prescribe Trazadone due to the 1% chance of causing a priapism. Most people who get the sexual sides from finasteride just have it in their heads.

Random sidepoint but I've actually seen trazodone prescribed much more as an off-label sleep aid than as an antidepressant.

I dunno, I've met too many people who have had physiological issues with finasteride to trust it.