Med School List Help (521, cGPA 3.93, sGPA 3.92)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananabeauxt

Reaction score
H everyone,
I'm preparing to apply to MD medical schools this year and am looking for advice and opinions for my list. I am a bit worried that I am aiming a bit too high, and my list is too ambitious, as I feel like beyond my grades I am not super competitive.
  1. cGPA: 3.93 and sGPA:3.92
  2. Major: biology, Minor: Chemistry and Asian Studies
  3. MCAT: 521, (Chem/Phys, CARS and Psych Soc - 130. Bio - 131)
  4. State of residence: North Carolina
  5. Orm: South Asian
  6. Undergraduate institution: UNC-Chapel Hill
  7. Clinical and shadowing experience: Shadowing and observership 150+ hours - Surgery Ward (Dr. will be writing me LoR) , Nephrology and emergency medicine (involved some patient interaction. Will be working with a neurologist after Graduation during the application cycle. I'm also EMT certified but I never worked so I don't think ill include that in my application
  8. Research experience: Lab Assistant for 1 year, my SI will be writing me a LoR
  9. Non Clincial Volunteering: Lesson Planning for Underprivileged Children: 30 hrs
    Best Buddies: Not sure how to formulate the hours but was part of the program for 3 years.
    Special Olympics Training: 20 hours
    I have around 30 hours with various organizations I got through my Pre-Med service club
  10. Other extracurricular activities: TA for 2 biology Classes - 100 hrs
    I initiated a diversity push in my pre-med organization - leading to mandated implicit bias training and other recruitment changes
    Part of my local TEDx conference organizing children for 3 years
  11. I'm a low-income LGBT student if that makes any difference

My list currently is
Georgetown
ECU (in State)
Tufts
Miami
Keck
UNC (in state)
Boston
Wisconsin
Ucolorado
Maryland
Einstein
UVA
Cornell
Emory
casewestern
sinai
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Upitt
Uchicago
Upenn
Columbia
Wash U
Stanford
NYU
Harvard

Any constructive advice would be more than appreciated. And if you have any suggestions of what I can do in my gap year to maybe boost my application that would be great as well.
Thanks for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a shoo-in for your in-states if you have a strong application. Go ahead and add the private in-states for Duke and Wake Forest too. Do some networking through AMSA to get any insights for student support and culture for LGBTQ+ students/staff/faculty. Some schools will consider LGBTQ+ as a desirable status as if it were URM, so you may want to figure that out through networking if the admissions recruiters are not more transparent.

I thought that the number of clinical and no clinical hours were a bit weak. Great stats. I would suggest adding some more mid-tiers!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?
i don’t have much, but I have volunteered at the local pediatric cancer hospital occasionally throughout my time in college.

You are a shoo-in for your in-states if you have a strong application. Go ahead and add the private in-states for Duke and Wake Forest too. Do some networking through AMSA to get any insights for student support and culture for LGBTQ+ students/staff/faculty. Some schools will consider LGBTQ+ as a desirable status as if it were URM, so you may want to figure that out through networking if the admissions recruiters are not more transparent.
Thanks for the advice, this will be helpful information!