Med School Living Arrangements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to be matriculating to medical school in the fall. I joined my class's FB group and added my name to the roommate registry.

I received an email from a student at my school who's going to be an MS2 this year, asking if I'd be willing to room with him. On one hand I feel like this would be a good opportunity because he's already looking for places and this pretty much just fell in my lap. On the other hand, some of my friends in med school have suggested to me that it might be better to live with an MS1 since we'll have the same schedules and adjustment and things like that.

What would you guys recommend? Does it really matter?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Many congrats to you on your acceptance!

In my humble opinion, I think living with an MS2 would have loads of extra benefits. Being able to ask him/her about tips and pointers for all first year stuff would be fantastic!

But on the other hand, I think living with someone on the same page as you would be even more beneficial. In my opinion, you want someone on your team, so to speak. Plus, you could always befriend an MS2 and ask specific questions on the side.

If it was my choice, I'd live with an MS1

I'd room with someone in the same year as you. It would make for great support, IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I would wonder...why doesn't he have a fellow MS2 student to room with? You'd think he would already have friends to room with. So why is he asking a MS1? Does he have a personality issue or other issue that might make him a questionable roommate?

Maybe not an issue at all...but something to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
I lived with a fellow MS1 this year, and it has been great. We generally did our own things, but we could ask each other questions and get clarification easily. I don't think schedules should be a factor. I have a very different schedule from other MS1s who go to class regularly or have their required doctor/patient class on different days. Plus, half of us are split up for required sessions sometimes based on faculty availability. I recommend living with a fellow MS1, but living with an MS2 could be good too.