Med school location -> future practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIFU

on the road
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am curious about how med school location affects residency matching and future practice. I am under the impression that it would be advantageous to go to, say a NYC school if I want to match to a residency in the same school or in NYC. Of course, I understand there are plenty of other factors that affect the ultimate outcome. Does this also apply when it comes to finding a job after residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You usually end up where you did residency. Some medical schools seem to only have regional residency options. If you're curious, some medical schools will have a list where their students get residencies.

If you want to stay in the area, then yes, obviously doing your school/residency will help; however, there are jobs everywhere, so it really doesn't matter. I'd go to the cheaper school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to stay in the area, then yes, obviously doing your school/residency will help; however, there are jobs everywhere, so it really doesn't matter. I'd go to the cheaper school.

Yes, I do intend to stay in the area after finishing my training! Also, do you think it is worth it to go to a top 50 school over a top 20 school for this reason (i.e. the top 50 is in a city where I want to live and stay, while the top 20 is in a different state)? of course, assuming the costs are the same.