Med school LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I did research in undergrad for an orthopedic surgeon and he wrote me a standard LOR for medical school. He is on faculty at a hospital that has an IM program that I would love to attend (it's out of my league).

I have tried contacting him repeatedly, but he is out of the country...I know he wrote me a solid LOR for Med school, would there be any sense in sending this to the program I'm interested in?

When he is back in the states, I'll have him edit it to make it more current for residency. I'm not sure how much it will help, but I thought it may make a difference.

I know that it was a letter that talked about my personal traits (hard working nature, polite attitutde), but it did say for med school.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No. A letter from an orthopaedic surgeon will not help you for internal medicine, and the attending has never worked with you clinically, so really can't speak to how good of an IM doc you will be.

Reactions: 1 user
A letter from before medical school is of almost* no value. Instead, ask this person to send an email to the IMPD after you apply supporting your application.

* A letter from someone very well known (i.e. the POTUS) will always help.

Reactions: 1 user