Med School Match Day Celebration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobatea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what ceremonies/celebrations your medical school offers on Match Day. I've heard events running the range from lunch at a country club to just some finger snacks.

At my med school, we all receive our envelopes at noon, there are some speeches from deans/administration folk, a champagne toast, and some finger foods/sandwiches. It's all held on campus at a school reception hall, nothing fancy.

Later on in the night, of course, all of the med students are planning an outing somewhere, on med school's social funds.

Others?

Members don't see this ad.

We have match day at a local brewery- a decent place.. apparently the powers that be rent out the upstairs. Open bar 11-12, envelopes at 12, open bar again 1-3. Free wings/pizza. Only in Buffalo, eh?

We each put $1 into a big fish bowl as we get our envelope, and because it is all random in terms of the envelope order the last person takes home about $140.

I can't imagine a better way to do it, if all goes as planned I should be drunk soon after breakfast tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!!!

Brunch at the medical school, champagne all around. Class invites our favorite 20-25 faculty members. Open envelopes at noon. Free food and booze at a great restaurant/bar all afternoon.

Good luck everyone!

Eggs, pastries, grits, bloody maries, mimosas in the AM. Get in front of the whole institution in an 8 story atrium at 11AM and open envelopes one at a time. $5 into a fishbowl per person, the last one gets the cashmoney. Free food and drinks at a sweet mexican restaurant in town all afternoon. Good luck today!

Our class is forced to run 5 miles through the woods to a designated "meeting place" surrounded by a cauldron of fire. Then we are forced to strip naked and stand outside in the bitter wind while a "liason" to the dean of students pulls out the lead-lined envelopes with our results and hurls them at our faces from 5 feet away. Survivors are treated to a light snack of month-old Russian bread and tap water.

Actually, ours is similar. Everyone meets on campus in the lobby of one of the buildings, set up for the occasion, and envelopes are presented in random order. Everyone brings a dollar, last person gets the jackpot.

Originally posted by yaah
Our class is forced to run 5 miles through the woods to a designated "meeting place" surrounded by a cauldron of fire. Then we are forced to strip naked and stand outside in the bitter wind while a "liason" to the dean of students pulls out the lead-lined envelopes with our results and hurls them at our faces from 5 feet away. Survivors are treated to a light snack of month-old Russian bread and tap water.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: