Med School Move

SMC's wife

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that waiting to get accepted to a med school is not only stressing for my husband(he's the one applying) but even more for me! Right after we were married, I moved out of state because he decided to go to grad school in another state. I was so unhappy being away from my family. After a year, he decided that grad school wasn't for him and we moved back to our home state. It was like winning the lottery for me! Now we face the possibility of moving out of state again and I am torn apart. I have grown quite attached to my job here and am enjoying all the time we get to spend with our families. I keep hearing the word "sacrifice" from him, but I am still so torn about this. I would appreciate any advice that can help me through this "waiting" period. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know exactly what you mean! My mother and I are best friends, and now I'm not only facing the possibility of leaving her (oh, and my dad and brothers too!), but with taking her only grandchild away from her...ouch!
The way I have dealt with it so far is by being involved in every step of the application process. My husband and I came to an agreement about the type of place we wanted to live, and the parts of the country that would be the most comfortable for living. When he (we) narrowed the list of schools to apply to last June, I spent alot of time online, researching the towns, rental rates, schools, etc... (homestore.com is great!) I even sent away for a few chamber of commerce publications. It really helped me to picture myself living there, and gave us something to talk about besides biochem :) Now that he is (THANKFULLY!!!) getting interview invites, I am doing more research, and he brings home a newspaper from the area with classifieds and also takes pictures.
It will be hard (but hopefully your hubby will get in where you guys are hoping and the move won't be too far :clap: ) Just try to think of it as an adventure that you and he will share...and make sure to hook up with a spouse-support group when you get there!

I am kind of in the same boat...facing Match Day (2 months away!) and quite a few possibilites in terms of where we might end up. Leaving out family, friends, my job, and our house is such an overwhelming thought. I, too, have tried to be involved every step of the way, though. I have gone on interviews with him whenever possible so that I might begin to envision future hometowns...while he interviews, I wander around and check out neighborhoods, etc. Anyway, I can't offer much advice at this point...just sympathy! When I start getting uptight and frustrated by the 'unknown,' I have to remind myself that I knew what I was getting into when I married him...it just seemed like a far away possibility then!! And, it IS an exciting adventure-- the two of you against the world! Whatever happens, medical school will make you a stronger couple.