1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Med School Note Taking

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by PreMedDocMD, Apr 30, 2007.

1. PreMedDocMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When you guys do take notes in class, what do you use? Do you use a 3- ring notebook, or a spiral notebook? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but every bit helps.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I use my notebook computer.

4. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Well, I usually write on my arms and legs with blue, G207 gel pens (essential). It's also imperative that you have a coffee enema before note taking.

5. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Notes are for suckas. I kid you not. Impress all your classmates by skipping their learning curve and just absorbing the lectures as best you can from the beginning of the year. Preread and postread (I heard that helps).

Actually, you'll soon find out that lecture itself is for suckas. A profound waste of time in most circumstances. Save the trouble and DIY.

6. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I take any notes, I usually just annotate the syllabus. Often the syllabus is comprehensive & notes are unnecessary.

7. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

I used to occassionally scribble notes on the handouts for the lecture.

Mostly though, I tried to catch up on my sleep.

8. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Agree with this. :thumbup:

No class attendance, no note-taking, no listening to any lectures, no class note service here. I just read stuff at home. Works much better.

You'll see what we mean in a few months.

9. Orthonut

Orthonut Garryowen
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Contemplates the virtues of the G207 pen versus the Pilot G5 micro point then notices coffee enema and actually considers it for a moment as a way to get more caffeine in half the time...

Sometimes I use my laptop. But mostly I use the same old spiral notebook (if there isn't room to write on the ppts or the instructor doesn't use ppts) I carry one 200 pg or so spiral notebook, a pencil purse with a couple pens pencils and highlighters, a sweatshirt and a giant coffee mug with me. The rest I leave at home and only use when I need it.

Speaking of highlighters, anyone want my purples? I can't STAND purple.

10. shivasHeroLike

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i do not notetake either.

pre & post reading are sufficient compliments to sitting in classroom and absorbing what the prof says.

11. ut2010

ut2010 Medical Student
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't go to class but listen to the audio lectures. I generally do not take notes while I am listening unless a point is mentioned that is not in the syllabus.

If I have trouble understanding a concept that is discussed, I listen to that portion of the lecture again after reading about it on my own.

I find if I am worried about writing down all the points that are being made, I will miss alot of what is being discussed.

I am have been doing well in school, except for Anatomy :rolleyes:

12. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Agreed. Notes are for the OC-uptight-glass-goers that you probably don't want to be seen with anyway. It's best to harass the course director and get an idea of what they read to steal their slides verbatim. Thus when you read the extra sentence in the paragraph the slide was drafted from which was conveniently left off you'll be ahead of the game because it inevitably shows up on the exam.

13. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I go to lecture (not usually), I'll just annotate the course notes that we got at the beginning of the semester. Those are pretty much the only thing I use - I write in things to clarify stuff, and I highlight other things.

14. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If I go to class I take notes on notebook paper because if I don't I'll space out and then have no clue whats going on when I tune back in. I never use the notes for anything because they are never complete enough to study from, and we get the official noteset from the mp3 recording of the lecture a day or two later anyway. I only go if I want to see a guest speaker or if they are bringing a patient in or something cool like that.

15. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I take notes only so that I can tell which lectures I managed not to sleep through, so I don't have to listen to them again on mp3.