• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

MEK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Please help.

I am a MS3 trying to decide what to do with my life and EM has always been #1, but I am concerned about my ability to get into a residency that I want without having to totally settle. My concern is mostly based on my Step 1 (200) and slightly above average pre-clinical grades. I do have a lot to offer otherwise in terms of research, class leadership, EMED interest group pres, and tons of other activities (which is probably why my grades suck). Also, my third year has been going really well with great evals and A and B clinical grades. However, with this kind of picture, is EMED out of reach? Or should I look into pursuing my other option (peds). And I guess I should be more specific in the sense I really, really want to stay in Chicago. It has always been home. But moving is not out of the question, it just makes me nervous.

Also, a second question: would it be a good idea for me to take Step 2 early and hope that I can pull off a much more impressive grade that can be thrown into consideration with my residency app? And how early...like, would October be too late?

Thanks everyone. Just need some guidance, which unfortunantly is quite lacking at my school.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Please help.

I am a MS3 trying to decide what to do with my life and EM has always been #1, but I am concerned about my ability to get into a residency that I want without having to totally settle. My concern is mostly based on my Step 1 (200) and slightly above average pre-clinical grades. I do have a lot to offer otherwise in terms of research, class leadership, EMED interest group pres, and tons of other activities (which is probably why my grades suck). Also, my third year has been going really well with great evals and A and B clinical grades. However, with this kind of picture, is EMED out of reach? Or should I look into pursuing my other option (peds). And I guess I should be more specific in the sense I really, really want to stay in Chicago. It has always been home. But moving is not out of the question, it just makes me nervous.

Also, a second question: would it be a good idea for me to take Step 2 early and hope that I can pull off a much more impressive grade that can be thrown into consideration with my residency app? And how early...like, would October be too late?

Thanks everyone. Just need some guidance, which unfortunantly is quite lacking at my school.

Definately not out of your reach.

c.bear

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My 2 cents as only an msIV: My step one was not great so I took Step 2 in July. I would think it might serve you to take it as early as possible. If you improve (which u very well might considering your clinical grades) that would be awsome and only help your application. If you don't improve, at least you passed and PDs won't have to worry about you passing. The only problem would be if you did not pass. But that sounds unlikely considering you grades/activities. I would take Step 2 before Oct. if I were you but you sound like you will be a good canidate :) GOOD LUCK!

About the Ads

EM_Rebuilder

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would suggesting going EM full force. It keeps your mind focused on your goal. As someone mentioned, take Step II early and *hope* to improve over your Step I score (most people do). The biggest key is to pass it; in the event you dont change or even do slightly less than Step I, it can be viewed that he passed and is not as big of a risk. Failing Step II would be a problem...

Make sure you do two away rotations, and pick programs that are reasonable for you to attend. I wont play who is best in this thread, but read around and you can see/find the top/more desired programs...with medicore scores it is unlikely you will match there.. so go places that are still secure (full accrediation, etc) that will get your name on their lists and good SLORs (Standard Letter or Recs). Also, do these very early in the MSIV year. Luckily, with EM, 99%+ of the programs out there are good and make you more than read to work in any ED!

Lastly, apply BROADLY!! Leave few programs off your application list (you should probably look at applying to at least 50+ with several of those in unpopular locations). Several of the unpopular living locations actually have some of the better program (IMHO).

I have not matched yet; however a year ago I was in nearly you same shoes. I have been more than surprised/pleased with the number of interviews I recieved and am rather confident I will be starting an Emergency Medicine Residency somewhere come July...

I am just passing along information I mainly gathered from the great people on this forum as well as mentors I have met along the way.

Keep your head up, Its do-able. Remember that almost everyone that wants to do EM gets to do EM; and most get #1,2, or 3.

Good luck and PM if you want any specifics or have additional questions!

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Travelling via handbasket
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My 2 cents as only an msIV: My step one was not great so I took Step 2 in July. I would think it might serve you to take it as early as possible. If you improve (which u very well might considering your clinical grades) that would be awsome and only help your application. If you don't improve, at least you passed and PDs won't have to worry about you passing. The only problem would be if you did not pass. But that sounds unlikely considering you grades/activities. I would take Step 2 before Oct. if I were you but you sound like you will be a good canidate :) GOOD LUCK!

Ditto this. Also, do you EM subIs/AIs/whatever early and get some great LORs.

PaperTigger

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
Please help.

EM is definitely not out of reach -- luckily the field cares more than just numbers. You will have a much stronger case if you can do well on your EM elective. In Chicago, the competition can be a little stiff because of the great location; if you are die-hard Chicago, all is not lost -- do a rotation at a place that you think you will like and that you think will appreciate your well-roundedness/be more forgiving of the board score, and work your butt off. You have enough going for you that based on what you said I think you would match into the field. You have a lot of time to improve your application too. If you can be a little flexible about location, there is no reason to give up your dream!

Jimmy1

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was in your exact shoes this time last year...and reading the posts on SDN doesn't help the anxiety because it seems like everyone has a 4.0 and a 270.

Take EM Rebuilder's advice! Also, I recommend doing a rotation at a 'big name'/competitive place...then you can get a glowing LOR from them. Also do a rotation at a place that you could probably get in.

Go for it!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.